Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I initially posted on here about my disappointment in my fuel economy to start with, and that led to a lot of discussion... of which most of it had nothing to do with fuel economy after a few posts.

What I've done here is let the data speak for itself. I've tracked every tank I've had in the car since purchase. I purchased the car on 4/9/11 and my first fill up was 4/12/11. I've pulled the data from 4/12/11 to 4/7/12 off my Fuelly account, and summarized here below.

First, information on my "normal" driving. I commute approx. 75 miles each way, and purchased the car for use in a carpool. I changed my carpool habits in September of 2011, so April to September of 2011 the primary use was my work commute, but of course there were other trips in the car. From September 2011 (mid month) to now my commute in my car has been shortened, but still along the same original route. I now meet up with others and swap into a different car. I have also marked out when "significant" events happened (tire pressure change, first oil change, 93 octane use for Trifecta Tune, and K&N CAI install) so that you can be informed when looking at the data.

Once I had the data, I charted by mileage (as dates of fill up had no meaning to the car), as some feel that the engine "breaks in" and this would allow to see that effect (if any). I then grouped the data by quarter of the year (1st Qtr. Jan - Mar, etc.) so it could be associated with "seasons". I color coded these groupings as marked them (blue for winter, green for spring, red for summer, orange for fall) on the chart. And, I've broken down Max/Min/Avg/St. Dev by season, and listed it for overall.

I can't think of any other meaningful ways to display the data... but could break it up differently if so compelled to do so. With all that said, I see the best fuel economy in the summer (go figure) and worst in the winter (again, duh).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good averages. I'm impressed with the summer numbers, especially the end of 3rd quarter! Cant wait to see how mine does(Cruze's first summer coming up). BTW, is your K&N just the short ram with the shield?
Yes, the K&N is the short ram with the shield.

As to the very impressive end of 3rd quarter number, I went back and looked. The two really high points are trips in Canada, which has a lower speed limit than here in Michigan (70 MPH highway).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As discussed on this forum in other posts, fuel economy is effected by a large number of factors. It looks like your car did pretty good, given car pool weight loads. Do you have any idea of your split of highway/city mileage?
Standard split is less than 10% city driving. My commute was broken down in my previous post (I should link to it I guess), but the first 20 miles is less than 2 miles two lane 50 MPH speed limit, and then a divided highway (55 MPH). From there the balance is Interstate (70 MPH), except for the last 4 miles, which is true city driving (though no real traffic, but still stop lights). So, 4 miles out of approx. 72 miles each way I would consider city driving.

Typical car pool was 3 guys (175+ lbs.) sometimes the fourth would join. So yes... overall I was very happy with what I saw.

Obviously things vary on a commute, and that's how the other thread degenerated... I decided to stay way from justification, and just post the data and let it speak / direct questions this time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.