Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
Low 30s is definitely possible and common with the 1.4L and Auto. However, low 40s is also definitely possible and common with the Eco. The Eco trims on fuelly.com average ~8.5mpg better than the non-eco trims. I calculated this by hand a few months ago. It would appear that the EPA isn't taking quite everything into consideration when they test these cars.

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
The fuel economy of the Trifecta tune on the 1.4L motor is questionable. It is arguable that most of the difference is from reducing boost to save your from your own heavy foot, and in changing the shift points on the auto in order to get you better fuel economy that way. The direct different to the motor seems insignificant, if any.

EPA says the Eco Auto only gets 1mpg better on the highway and no difference in-town, but I don't personally believe them. Over the 1LT, you're shaving off ~100lbs, lowering 10mm, adding the under-body plates, the lip spoiler, and the grille shutter, and adding the 17" eco wheels, which over all 4 are 21lbs lighter than the 16" alloys on the 1LT. Those wheels are also fitted with low rolling resistance tires. All of those modifications seem to indicate that there's a bigger than 1mpg difference. The wheel weight, LRR tires, and lowered curb weight alone should make a notable improvement in-town.

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
I have an extremely difficult time believing that he was able to boost his fuel economy by 13.3mpg (a 37.4% increase) by ONLY flashing his tune on his car, driving in exactly the same way, with exactly the same route in exactly the same conditions, making full round trips.

There isn't enough information in that first post to determine whether or not his tests were even valid. ****, I averaged over 50mpg with my Cruze over the weekend (DIC said 55mpg), no Trifecta tune, but that was mostly highway driving. I can guarantee you that you won't get a 37% increase by JUST flashing a tune.

A 37% increase is massive in general, but a claim of 37% increase on top of 35.4mpg (which is already high for a non-hybrid) should start raising some eyebrows on even the most avid believers.

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
From the dealer I ordered from, it was said to be non-refundable since its locked to your VIN. And with the transparency mode there are a number that say they've gone to the dealership with it and it didn't show up on a scan.

Xtreme you also have the stick. That was with the automatic. The gains with the stick probably are far less. I will report back in 2 weeks on my fuel economy with the Eco mode tune on my car. Since thats about how long a tank lasts. So far according to the DIC its already reading higher on the average with the same driving style. I will say when driving though and looking at the instant mpg reading, it almost seems to read lower though. So I'll just have to wait and see when I fill up.
Even so, he noted 48.9mpg, which is off the scale of what anyone has been getting with the Auto. I'm going to guess this was all highway driving according to the DIC and every effort made to achieve the best fuel economy possible. In any case, I'm looking forward to your results. Try removing the tune afterward and running another tank of gas to quantify your results.

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
Xtreme... Buy the tune and debunk it with your experiences and data... Not with conjectures of plausibility
And what happens when I get it and it doesn't live up to the differences Vince claimed in that post? I'm out $300 and I just swallow the cost? No thanks.

How about if someone makes a claim that their product can do something, and as 77AARCUDA very well noted is an extreme claim, then that same person making the claim should provide an extreme evidence to back it up. It shouldn't be my job to back up someone else's extreme claims for their tune at my own expense. That said, I'd be glad to give him an entire Saturday of my life to test out the tune for him and provide some real results if he gives me the tune. I'm sure if my results correspond with his claims, it would get him more business than I would care to mention, but I'm not going to buy it just to find out. My last tank was a few decimals over 42mpg at the pump with at least 70% city driving, which is consistent with the 41.3mpg before that. My experience tuning is limited, I will certainly admit to that, and I don't personally use the Trifecta tune, but I know enough from when I was tuning that you aren't going to boost over 37% when you're already pulling mid 30s with JUST a tune in a 3100lb car with an auto trans.

Anyone who thinks critically about this would demand more information and proof before believing those claims.

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
Vince just posted someone else's claims, he doesn't claim any hard numbers for obvious reasons...
I can understand that. I simply had the impression that he was supporting those claims by sharing them openly. It doesn't make a difference to me. I still recommend the tune to people who have an Auto transmission for the obvious benefits there, but I'm still a little uncertain about the fuel economy benefits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.