Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read this post "Engine Oil - 1.4L Turbo
Despite what your oil life monitor tells you, do not go past 6,000 miles on GM's ACDELCO DEXOS1 oil. Our oil testing analysis has shown that the oil is toast by 6,500 miles under light driving. With a turbo that exceeds 500 degrees F on a regular basis, you need a high quality fluid. A full synthetic fluid is very highly recommended. A DEXOS1-compliant fluid is absolutely necessary. DO NOT use dino/conventional oil. If you change it yourself, check the torque specs on the drain plug and filter cap!
" on the thread "New Owners' Crash Course in Cruze Maintenance" I was just wondering how many miles everyone recommend before every synthetic oil change, I have a 2014 1.4L LT with automatic trans. I was going to go with Pennzoil 100% synthetic oil change and filter for $92.99 CAD. Thanks. :unsure:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Despite what your oil life monitor tells you, do not go past 6,000 miles on GM's ACDELCO DEXOS1 oil. Our oil testing analysis has shown that the oil is toast by 6,500 miles under light driving. With a turbo that exceeds 500 degrees F on a regular basis, you need a high quality fluid. A full synthetic fluid is very highly recommended. A DEXOS1-compliant fluid is absolutely necessary. DO NOT use dino/conventional oil. If you change it yourself, check the torque specs on the drain plug and filter cap!
" on the thread "New Owners' Crash Course in Cruze Maintenance" I was just wondering how many miles everyone recommend before every synthetic oil change, I have a 2014 1.4L LT with automatic trans. I was going to go with Pennzoil 100% synthetic oil change and filter for $92.99 CAD. Thanks. :unsure:
6000mi max! Pennzoil 550045201 Ultra Platinum 5 quart 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil (SN/GF-5 Jug)

[https://images-na]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
214 Posts
Be Ware Pennzoil does not make a 100% synthetic oil!!! The only 100% synthetic oil on the market is Amsoil. Full synthetic oils like Pennzoil, Mobil one ect state like it all synthetic where actually their base for formulating the oil is petroleum based and doesn't share the same LSPI, and wear qualities like Amsoil does. For $92 Can I'm sure you can do your oil change with Amsoil XL or signature.
Even though their petroleum base these manufacturers are allowed to stat on their labels like they are 100% synthetic but they are not.
Check YouTube there are many videos on the subject

All about Synthetic Motor Oil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCT24nozMYM

·
Registered
41 Posts
This should be the correct oil, sorry!

Pennzoil Platinum is an advanced full synthetic motor oil. It's continuously attacks potential and stubborn deposits to help keep vital engine parts clean. In fact, Pennzoil Platinum keeps your engine up to 40% cleaner than current industry standards. The ability to clean up your engine helps maximize engine protection and responsiveness. Pennzoil Platinum is designed to provide our superior cleansing under the most severe driving style or conditions to maximize engine responsiveness.

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
Pennzoil Platinum is an advanced full synthetic motor oil. It's continuously attacks potential and stubborn deposits to help keep vital engine parts clean. In fact, Pennzoil Platinum keeps your engine up to 40% cleaner than current industry standards. The ability to clean up your engine helps maximize engine protection and responsiveness. Pennzoil Platinum is designed to provide our superior cleansing under the most severe driving style or conditions to maximize engine responsiveness.

"full synthetic" is just a marketing term. If you can copy and paste from the Pennzoil website, I'll do the same.

https://blog.amsoil.com/how-much-synthetic-is-in-my-oil/

1. Synthetic blends (semi-synthetics) are just that – only partly synthetic, and the percentage of synthetic content can vary.
  2. While it’s not a hard-and-fast rule, manufacturers are open to greater scrutiny when they quantify a claim. Looking for claims like “100% synthetic” vs “full synthetic” or “synthetic” are an indicator that you’re likely getting more of the good stuff.
  3. Visit the manufacturer’s website and look at the product data sheet or technical data sheet for its oils. In this document, look for “Typical Physical Characteristics” or “Typical Technical Properties.” This section provides a high-level peek into the base oils used in the formulation. There are two numbers to pay attention to:
    1. Viscosity Index: Oils with a higher number include a better synthetic base oil that provides more protection to critical components over a wide temperature range by maintaining fluid thickness and the necessary fluid barrier between parts.
    2. Pour Point: measures the oil’s fluidity at cold temperatures and refers to the lowest temperature at which oil maintains its ability to flow. Lower numbers are likely to indicate a better synthetic base oil.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,599 Posts
Pennzoil Platinum is good stuff, if that's what they're using. It's not worth the cost they're charging you unless you just don't have the means/time to do it yourself. You can pick up 5 qts here in the US for ~$22.

I would recommend a 7500 mi change at the minimum on Platinum on a 1st gen 1.4T. Here's an oil analysis result from my 2012. The sample was taken after lots of short trip winter driving (hard on oil), a few road trips, 7200 miles, and ~10 months of lube time.

Text Font Line Design Parallel

·
Registered
431 Posts
Be Ware Pennzoil does not make a 100% synthetic oil!!! The only 100% synthetic oil on the market is Amsoil. Full synthetic oils like Pennzoil, Mobil one ect state like it all synthetic where actually their base for formulating the oil is petroleum based and doesn't share the same LSPI, and wear qualities like Amsoil does. For $92 Can I'm sure you can do your oil change with Amsoil XL or signature.
Even though their petroleum base these manufacturers are allowed to stat on their labels like they are 100% synthetic but they are not.
Check YouTube there are many videos on the subject

All about Synthetic Motor Oil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCT24nozMYM
Amsoil is overkill for what this car needs. ANY synthetic 5w30 meeting Dexos2 specs is just fine. Starting with this. No need to pay 2x. This M1 is just fine! As are several others that meet Dexos 2 needs at under $5. per quart.

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
Pennzoil Platinum is good stuff, if that's what they're using. It's not worth the cost they're charging you unless you just don't have the means/time to do it yourself. You can pick up 5 qts here in the US for ~$22.

I would recommend a 7500 mi change at the minimum on Platinum on a 1st gen 1.4T. Here's an oil analysis result from my 2012. The sample was taken after lots of short trip winter driving (hard on oil), a few road trips, 7200 miles, and ~10 months of lube time.

View attachment 265667
Great,yet ANOTHER Amsoil vs. everyone else thread. But at least you got my interest piqued with,"
10 months of lube time". Excited in a different manner. Sorry,it's a rainy Friday afternoon.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Registered
214 Posts
Amsoil is overkill for what this car needs. ANY synthetic 5w30 meeting Dexos2 specs is just fine. Starting with this. No need to pay 2x. This M1 is just fine! As are several others that meet Dexos 2 needs at under $5. per quart.
I'm sure but I believe the OP was going to pay $90 Can which is still $70 US for that he could do Ansoil. that's the only reason I mentioned it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,599 Posts
Great,yet ANOTHER Amsoil vs. everyone else thread. But at least you got my interest piqued with,"
10 months of lube time". Excited in a different manner. Sorry,it's a rainy Friday afternoon.
Lmao.

I actually run SS in the Gen 2 to try to avoid cracked pistons, but you really don't need anything special for the Gen 1

One minor point, you want to look for the Dexos-1 spec for the gasoline motors. Dexos-2 is their diesel spec.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Lmao.

I actually run SS in the Gen 2 to try to avoid cracked pistons, but you really don't need anything special for the Gen 1

One minor point, you want to look for the Dexos-1 spec for the gasoline motors. Dexos-2 is their diesel spec.

"SS"? Semi Synthetic?
Not sure I get what that is. LAMO
I'm trying to avoid the same thing.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Lmao.

I'll bet you anything dealers here don't know the difference when I get my 2 free oil changes and I get D1 in my diesel. They see so few is my guess.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Amsoil signature series.

Gotcha. I'm using the XL series as I'm under warranty and and tuned so I need to change it according to the OLM ( For Onstars sake) so SS is a waste for me.
But I can run the XL though until the OLM is at 0

·
Administrator
15,763 Posts
You don't need to run AMSOIL in the Gen1 1.4 Turbo in order for it to run well. However...

1. Mobil 1 in severe service conditions is not proving to hold up very well (shear stability) or protect the turbo long term (thermo-oxidation). This has been an observation of mine across dozens of analysis reports across multiple vehicle platforms.
2. AMSOIL's reformulated Signature Series does an infinitely better job of protecting against LSPI than any other dexos1 gen2 spec oil claims to (and has test results to back that up), so the notion that Mobil 1 is "just fine" should not be generalized, even if it is in the context of this forum section. It is just fine at 7,500 mile intervals, just the way AMSOIL will go 25,000 mile intervals. Which brings me to my last point:
3. AMSOIL's reformulated Signature Series oil will go 25,000 miles in ANY Cruze in normal driving conditions, safely, while providing better deposit protection, better LSPI protection, and better wear protection overall, with oil filter changes at OEM intervals. This makes AMSOIL an attractive value proposition that, when used according to its capabilities (as others are suggesting other oils are used according to), actually ends up costing you less in the long run.

I'm not saying you have to use it, but the notion that it costs more as if you're going to be changing it at the same interval is a bit misleading.

·
Registered
214 Posts
You don't need to run AMSOIL in the Gen1 1.4 Turbo in order for it to run well. However...

1. Mobil 1 in severe service conditions is not proving to hold up very well (shear stability) or protect the turbo long term (thermo-oxidation). This has been an observation of mine across dozens of analysis reports across multiple vehicle platforms.
2. AMSOIL's reformulated Signature Series does an infinitely better job of protecting against LSPI than any other dexos1 gen2 spec oil claims to (and has test results to back that up), so the notion that Mobil 1 is "just fine" should not be generalized, even if it is in the context of this forum section. It is just fine at 7,500 mile intervals, just the way AMSOIL will go 25,000 mile intervals. Which brings me to my last point:
3. AMSOIL's reformulated Signature Series oil will go 25,000 miles in ANY Cruze in normal driving conditions, safely, while providing better deposit protection, better LSPI protection, and better wear protection overall, with oil filter changes at OEM intervals. This makes AMSOIL an attractive value proposition that, when used according to its capabilities (as others are suggesting other oils are used according to), actually ends up costing you less in the long run.

I'm not saying you have to use it, but the notion that it costs more as if you're going to be changing it at the same interval is a bit misleading.
According to the Amsoil webpage all their formulas will protect against LSPI

1 - 20 of 29 Posts