Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I will say this is a great car. I tried to write this up on my laptop but the keyboard seems to hate forums and locks up so I'm trying to do this on my phone.
The mpg avg is 50 mpgs for the history of the car. It's been reality trouble free exept for a failed EGR valve at 52000 miles (could of been loose clamps)and a dead battery around 80000 miles.
I'm 6'1 at 240 and I fit comfortably in the car. This is not my daily driver. It's strictly a work car. My commute is 184 miles round trip to and from work. Some rural but mostly interstate.
I use Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 and change it at 7000 miles. It could go further but I like changing it at that. Still on original tires and have a lot of tread left. Brakes still original and look new
I went to dealer and got a timing belt and serpentine belt change quote. Diesel I need your mechanic. My quote wasn't pretty as yours but here's the breakdown.
55578485 belt. 57.01
55580776. belt. 66.28
55562865. Pulley 32.28
55568637. Pump 219.04
55580981. Tensioner 114.13
12855142. Gasket. 15.92
Total. 557.17 plus tax. Total 593.39 parts
Parts and labor 1042.50

PROs
Great passing power
Great fuel milage 50 mpgs
Built well for a mid size
Comfortable for its size
DEF goes a long way

CONs
No diesel emblems
No spare tire. Been towed twice for flats
Weak rear window defrost. Works but doesn't melt ice.
Stereo could be better.
Phone some times doesn't connect to radio
Key pod doesn't always auto start car till you lock it again then it will start.

I waited for this car to be be released and would buy it again. Yes there are some learning to do with it but to me its been a great car. I drive a semi truck for Fedex for a living and have 30 years experience. So I had a little bit of diesel knowledge of diesel engines.
If you go to my fuelly account you can see all my fill ups and mpg avg.
I'm not great at write ups but I hope this helps anyone debating on buying a CTD.
Next one 150000

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Still running the factory transmission fluid? I love reading these because I don't put near this mileage on and it gives me satisfaction to know I should have a trouble free journey with my ctd.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Well done Gator.

Do do you have the pioner sound?

And thanks for keeping our parcels moving.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Tomko, I'm in the freight division for Fedex. Easy way to tell is what color the ex is in the Fedex logo. Red is freight, green is parcel, orange is air parcel.
Someone I know in Columbus once told me that the green fedex guys were to be avoided - but that the other guys were A-okay.

Any truth to that?

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tomko , yes more than you know. Green is mainly owner operator trucks with foreign drivers driving them. I'm out of Columbus

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well Boraz what is it then, its not as small as a spark and not as big as a impala so its in-between. That to me is midsize

·
2,170 Posts
Great write up. I think a spare tire shouldn't be optional, that should be required in all vehicles. All y'all make me want to get a diesel, but I refuse to give up my clutch.

·
2,170 Posts
cruze is compact
This is the only country that considers the Cruze a compact car. In every other place it's a mid-size. So, it's both.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I forgot no on the pioneer system
This is why your stereo sucks ... or at least, leaves plenty of room for improvement. Kicker makes a custom fit sub for the Cruze that will fit in the trunk while not taking up all your trunk space, and should make the difference very noticeable.

Reactions: pandrad61

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Great write up. I think a spare tire shouldn't be optional, that should be required in all vehicles. All y'all make me want to get a diesel, but I refuse to give up my clutch.
I'm hoping the clutch makes it's debut in the 2017 diesel here ... I too am waiting! Now, if they'd do the Hatchback in a manual diesel version, I'd be set

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Well Boraz what is it then, its not as small as a spark and not as big as a impala so its in-between. That to me is midsize
Avis rental car guide lists the Cruze as intermediate, which is one category above a compact, and one below a "standard" car, 2 below the full size category.

Then again, it apparently depends upon the rental agency, as I would lump the Ford focus, Toyota corolla, Chrysler 200/Dodge dart in the same category, yet they're all listed as a different category of car, for example, the 200 is listed at a standard on enterprise. Not sure what they use to come up with their ratings (I personally think it's just to make more money, because they charge more the higher up the category is) but I would certainly say all the cars listed above are the "same size" in my opinion, as well as comparing them side-by-side as far as interior dimensions go. It's a midsized car somewhere :confused:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts