Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 1.8L LS

I’m searching for quotes. I’m looking to get the Timing Belt replaced. What else should I do while it’s there?

Here’s my list so far:
-idler pulley
-water pump
-serpentine (accessory) belt
-camshaft seals? (Recommended?)

I normally do my maintenance but I stopped doing clutches and timing belts years ago.

What do you guys recommend? I’m guessing most shops won’t put in any parts I buy so do you guys know any brands to stay away from? I’m looking at OEM or better.

Thanks!

·
Registered
576 Posts
2014 1.8L LS

I’m searching for quotes. I’m looking to get the Timing Belt replaced. What else should I do while it’s there?

Here’s my list so far:
-idler pulley
-water pump
-serpentine (accessory) belt
-camshaft seals? (Recommended?)

I normally do my maintenance but I stopped doing clutches and timing belts years ago.

What do you guys recommend? I’m guessing most shops won’t put in any parts I buy so do you guys know any brands to stay away from? I’m looking at OEM or better.

Thanks!
I did my belt and tensioner not too long ago. Purchased from RockAuto.com. Avoid the cheap Kelly brand belt. I had bought that originally, but it looked so cheap I purchased a dayco one from AutoZone. Will have the water pump done soon by the dealership as it is leaking I believe.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks wasney. Seems like rockauto only carries dayco and continental now (at least for my car).

Ill keep the Kelly comment in mind when I ask the shop about what they use. I’m leaning towards AC Delco, Continental, Dayco or Gates (I think).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven’t had issues with daycos or conti’s. I’m certain all of my past TBs have been Conti’s and my past serpentines have been daycos or gators (Goodyear’s, IIRC). I did manage to find a unicorn shop that will do the work with me supplying the parts. A bonus since I know what parts will be on there.

So another question. I’ve replaced serpentine belts plenty of times. I’ve never replaced the tensioner. Has anyone done the tensioner at the same time? I’ve read it’s “recommended,” but I’ve never had an issue with the tensioner.... like ever.

Thanks for the input so far.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,540 Posts
I haven’t had issues with daycos or conti’s. I’m certain all of my past TBs have been Conti’s and my past serpentines have been daycos or gators (Goodyear’s, IIRC). I did manage to find a unicorn shop that will do the work with me supplying the parts. A bonus since I know what parts will be on there.

So another question. I’ve replaced serpentine belts plenty of times. I’ve never replaced the tensioner. Has anyone done the tensioner at the same time? I’ve read it’s “recommended,” but I’ve never had an issue with the tensioner.... like ever.

Thanks for the input so far.
The tensioners on the 1.4, at least,fail often. Additionally, there's a bearing/pulley there that can wear out as I've had it in other cars. I'd throw a tensioner on that list as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
You’ve been very fortunate, tensioners will eventually wear out. My buddy’s Tahoe tensioner grenaded, threw the serpentine belt...done. Call AAA.

@jblackburn has good advice on replacement. Tensioners (and/or idler pulleys on some vehicles) are components that will leave you stranded if they fail. $70-80 bucks and a few extra minutes while you’re changing the serpentine belt is well worth it.

Reactions: AzSandSlinger

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for info guys. Also looks like I’m adding in the rear brakes (drums/shoes) as well.

Good info for tbose coming up on the 100k mark. So far I have the following:
- timing belt
- tensioner
- idler
- water pump
- cam seals
- balance shaft seals

- Serpentine belt
- tensioner

- rear drums (currently the originals)
- rear shoes (currently the originals)
- rear brake hardware (Springs n things)

all in all, about $300 in parts. Labor is estimated at $400

if I missed anything “while I’m there” or “while that’s accessible,” please let me know

1 - 8 of 8 Posts