Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Occasionally after coming to a complete stop and after about 2-3 seconds there seems to be a sudden clunk and/or a slight lurch. Does not happen every time but often enough to be noticed and a concern as this car has only 38K Km and is still under warranty. When in for service the dealer did not seem to think it was anything significant and dismissed enquiry. Anybody with a similar problem and resolution?

· Registered
28 Posts
My 12 does the same thing. It drops back into drive after sitting at a light for a short while. But with no codes or driveability problems, the dealer will do nothing about it. It is supposed to drop into neutral at a stop to help with fuell economy, normal to feel a slight thump on takeoff. But mine doesn't stay in neutral. At most it will hold it for 45 sec or so.

· Premium Member
5,470 Posts
To those that experience the 'bump while stopped' sensation, there is a product update fot this that involves replacing some of the apply clutch's in the trans.
I do not know the number but it is the trans section of the dealers PI listing.

Try searching for trans bump while stopped.....it has been discussed a lot on the earlier cars.
It is a 5/100 powertrain repair.

Rob

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Key reason for dropping into neutral is this is when the torque converter really loves to overheat. Knowing this for years, would shift into neutral with an AT if I knew I was going to be stopped for any period of time. Really not much to do with fuel economy, killing the engine when stopped helps this.

Surprised the fix is in the clutch drive plates, deals more with the geek that wrote the firmware. Has two parameters to deal with, Vss will be at zero, and tach speed.

Kind of like the good old days, Supra runs a TB cable to the AT, can be adjusted for glass smooth shifts, TH400 does this with a vacuum modulator for the same effect and is adjustable. Now all firmware with esoteric source code.

When control valves were used, a piston type valve, when one clutch received line pressure, was completely released before the next clutch was activated, completely fool proof. But these were were replaces by valve solenoids control by a microcontroller with software. A far cheaper approach, but forget about the price tag.

They got it right on my 92 DeVille, because the software was burnt into PROM, and non-erasable. But with flashram and easy internet updates, getting pretty darn sloppy.

Seems like clutch problems would relate to other transmission shift problems, a series of plates that are compressed together and do wear out, stick, bind, or don't engage at all.

· Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
We're sorry to hear of your transmission concern, Lamont. We understand that you've been in contact with your dealer in regard to this. Please let us know if further assistance is needed. We'd be happy to take a further look into your concern. Feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership name for further assistance. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.