Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

12' 1LT 1.4T MT - Burned clutch, should I just slow the f down?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Nescafe 
#1 ·
No BS with this post, I burned my clutch driving my cruze like I stole it... not more than 2k miles after I got a new transmission on warranty (mechanical failure of the 3rd gear caused it to pop out).

Am I correct in concluding a "performance clutch" would just cost me more $$$ for something I can fix for free by slowing the heck down and not being in a "hurry" all the dang time?

Also I have no idea how much this will end up costing me, from various googling it should come back in the $800-$1500 range? With labor being a lot more than the parts?

I used the search bar too! Top results were from 3+ years ago, before the Cruze took off in sales n such, so forgive the poor forum etiquette.

#3 ·
You would be the third person I know of who's had the transmission replace followed shortly be a burned out clutch. I think you need to talk to your dealership about comping you the clutch - people don't change their driving style after a transmission is replaced.

Also, slow down some. Unless traffic is absolutely crazy there's no reason to stick out as an aggressive driver. Some places will even ticket you for this.

#4 · (Edited)
Wow... thought I wouldn't get played for a total idiot by towing it to the dealer who did the warranty work on the transmission... Nope. The "estimate" was something I would make on the spot to sell someone on some bs. No parts listed, no labor listed, plenty of worthless words and colors that ended in ~$3000 to repair the vehicle. I took my time researching as much as I could, called back to get bs answers, and that "the ASC certified mechanic looked in the viewport and you completely blew it up".... Clutch is a wearable part, but clutch hydraulics/slave cylinder are covered under powertrain, the clutch wont disengage that's why it launches when you start it in gear but wont shift when running, didn't matter. Also when the tranny was getting "replaced" which i'm even doubtful of at this point, I asked how much it would cost to replace the clutch and if I could just pay for parts, was quoted ~$1500, but was assured by the same service tech that my clutch would last until at least 80,000 miles... today he had the nerve to say he tried to persuade me to replace the clutch then, but I was too focused on a "free transmission".... yeah i'm going to drop ~$1500 now when I can wait 40,000 miles.

Also 10 hours of labor at $170-$180 is ridiculously high, even for a dealer when the average is $80 to $90 / hour! Didn't help that buying the parts direct from GM now would come out to ~$500, ~$700 at MSRP....

Abuse or not, this seems extremely fishy and i'm disappointed that I have to pay them the diagnostic fee only to pay to get the car towed back to my barracks parking lot to sit for 3 weeks while I penny pinch to raise $1500 and search around for a shop. I tell you what, being in such a big military town hurts, because when I pointed out that I can't authorize any repairs because I can't scrounge up $3000 in the 3 days it would take for them to fix my vehicle I should consider getting an Army Emergency Relief Loan... if anyone is interested in that "estimate" i'll gladly post some screenshots so you too can be dumbfounded at what the **** it is... At least when it's in my parking lot I can get a senior mechanic I know who is ASC certified out the wazoo to take a look at it.

Here's the "estimate"... identifying information redacted to protect the childrens...

Attachments

Reactions: obermd
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.