Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too pleased today with GM or Roadside Service. Last night around 8 pm something in the drivetrain broke, just after shifting into 3rd gear on my 12 Eco. I have no idea what let loose, but coasted the car to a stop just off of a fairly busy road. Used Onstar to call Roadside service and was told that a tow would be there within 45 minutes. An hour later I call back and was told the tow truck couldn't find me (they had my cell number and no one tried to call me). Another tow company was dispatched. Another no show. At 11pm I called back and said I'm leaving the car, out of gear and with the parking brake off. Around midnight I get another call from GM saying that the tow company cannot do "independent" tows and that someone needed to be there. They find yet another tow company that is willing to do an "independent" tow. I assumed it was taken care of. First thing this morning I return to the vehicle to find it still sitting there. I called roadside service AGAIN and was promptly put through to a supervisor. They apologize and send a fourth tow company. I waited an hour and a half for this one, and finally he shows. It's now 9am and the car is finally being loaded onto a flatbed headed for the dealer. Service department is closed until Monday, hopefully they can diagnose it quickly. I've had the car for 5 weeks and it has 1500 miles on it. I really hope it was a fluke and not a sign of what's to come.....

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
First of all, don't forget to get your free 1 year (at the least) of onstar service for your troubles.

Hope everything turns out well. Keep us posted.

Reactions: obermd

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I'd also get the names of the to companies onstar called that didn't show up and report them to your local BBB.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long have you been driving manual transmission vehicles? Maybe it was driver error...don't get mad at me, just stating a possibility!

This is my 3rd manual tranny car. My 9th Chevrolet product, and only the 2nd car in my 40 years that has left me stranded on the side of the road. I appreciate your thoughts, but if a 2200 RPM shift from 2nd to 3rd is enough to damage the drivetrain this car won't last. This is a second car that I purchased to reduce the number of $100 trips to the gas station in my Silverado. It's not a teen's car, it's not raced, and it's completely stock.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow, that's not good. I would certainly expect more from OnStar and complain loudly. I've had my '11 Cruze Eco 6MT for exactly a year now. No major issues at all, just minor things like creaking in the dashboard during the winter. Been very pleased with the vehicle so far 18K miles on it last week. Hopefully you get things fixed quickly and its your last problem.

Have heard of several issues with clutches on the manuals, a vehicle owned by my employer had a clutch fail already, buts its a pool vehicle that gets driven pretty hard sometimes, and driven by people who don't know how to drive manual transmissions.

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts
OnStar has always been there for me, it was more than likely the towing company's fault, (yes, all of them) they don't make much off of OnStar, so might have just disregarded it...

Sent from my SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: OnlyTaurus

·
Registered
426 Posts
How true. I have always had good luck with AAA. Now with the new Cruze coming perhaps after free 6 months I will continue to stay with AAA. The last time I used AAA the person had Nav in there shop car and was no problem locating me.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I kept my USAA towing service even though I have the OnStar for 6 months. I've had to call USAA one time and a flatbed was there in about 50 minutes.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
I'm beginning to think that OnStar, like every other company in this country, is OUTSOURCING their calls overseas. That is OUTRAGEOUS that four towing companies never showed up and the "help" from OnStar was LESS than stellar! Maybe Stacy can follow up and this and find out WHY this nonsense happened in the first place! I would certainly be on the phone with OnStar executive offices giving them an earful. Suppose you had kids with you or a baby or an elderly parent OR you were traveling through a less than desirable area of town- you would be expected to be sitting there for all those hours! A free year of "service" is the LEAST they can do! :grim:

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Just got a call from OnStar last Wednesday with a 50 buck discount. Just said, I don't want to get into this, but no thanks. Was asked why, for one reason, have 200 mile free towing with AAA for a far cheaper price. But you have satellite was the response. Just had to reply in tree lined Wisconsin, and a 22* satellite height in my latitude, doesn't work half the time. So if I do have an accident, better be near an open farm field or not behind a large building. Cell phone always works.

Main reason for signing up with AAA was with the advent of OBD II in 1996, this is about the dumbest thing we have to put up with storing the firmware in flashram where just 0.75 volts glitch on the wrong pin can totally reset that firmware. Would be like trying to run your computer with all the hard drives removed. But haven't had problems by keeping my electrical system very well maintained. Least so far, but still has literally millions of transistors that all must be operating perfectly for your vehicle to run. And the automotive industry is using consumer grade electronics to save a couple of cents.

Its not easy being an electronic engineer and knowing how just the smallest of a pinhole in the passivation process can cause impurity migration to destroy micron sized transistors. But try to explain this to the idiots that could never make it in the private industry that works for the EPA. They make the laws.

Did have to call AAA once, just got that P-30 motorhome, didn't have time to go completely through it and wife wanted to go down to Georgia. We made it half way through Indiana when an AT coolant hose broke leaving us on the interstate 30 miles from the nearest time. We called AAA, because it was a huge motorhome, took them three hours to get a suitable tow truck to pull us.

Town was very friendly, a stranger gave me a ride to a Chrysler dealer where they gave me a three foot length of hose, but did charge me for AT fluid. Repaired that and headed south. But that temperature rise damage the front seal, that started to leak. Filled it up with Lucas AT seal condition, wife said, time to go home. Was 450 miles and very tense until I got within 200 miles for free towing, but we made it. Can't beat AAA.

Once home, pulled that AT and replaced every single part for under 500 bucks, replaced all those rubber hoses with steel. She still is apprehensive, but gone as far as 900 miles without problems.

If the Cruze is that bad, maybe we should hang unto OnStar, sure is loaded with all of this electronic crap. I am kind of worthless without all my test equipment, nowhere to store all that in a Cruze.

·
Registered
682 Posts
You know, you'd think with the GPS positioning they'd know the exact location and be able to give the tow companies directions. Or at least email them a friggn map! "I couldn't find you" is a piss poor response....especially from more than 1 company. wtf?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Where did this event happen anyway? I have to agree with the one post here that it looks like the real problem lies with the towing companies themselves. OnStar does have their piece in this as well. They should have at least followed up with phone calls to make sure the problem was taken care of. AAA can have the same problem, and it happened to me. A local towing company that they contracted sent out a flat bed truck that was broken! It was not able to tow my small motorhome behind it, even though I had stressed to AAA that my vehicle requires a medium duty tow truck. The next company that got sent out refused to tow the thing with the rear wheels on the ground, even though I showed the guy the pages on towing in the owners manual. The third company finally towed, ending a three and a half hour ordeal. I did let AAA know about the difficulties all along the way. The towing company that sent the broken truck? It went out of business a year later. Might have lost the AAA business in part because of my complaint.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You know, you'd think with the GPS positioning they'd know the exact location and be able to give the tow companies directions. Or at least email them a friggn map! "I couldn't find you" is a piss poor response....especially from more than 1 company. wtf?
i thought that was a BIG point with onstar was the gps so they can always find u?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where did this event happen anyway?
Happened at a busy intersection in Fresno, CA (Population 510,000). I don't know how the interface between Onstar, GM Roadside Service, and the tow companies works, but the end result as a consumer was terrible. Frankly, I don't care who is to blame, as NONE of these companies will step up and better their service. I'm sure tow companies are pretty busy on Friday nights, and I have a feeling that Onstar/Roadside Service calls are number last on the list of priorities. At least that's the impression I got. I ended up leaving the car and calling a taxi. I'm glad my wife and young ones weren't in the car, and I'm glad I was on the North side of town and not in the ghetto. I have to say, Onstar and Roadside service do a great job of answering the phone, putting you at ease, and assuring you that they have you covered. What happens after that is anyone's guess.

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
I'm beginning to think that OnStar, like every other company in this country, is OUTSOURCING their calls overseas. That is OUTRAGEOUS that four towing companies never showed up and the "help" from OnStar was LESS than stellar! Maybe Stacy can follow up and this and find out WHY this nonsense happened in the first place! I would certainly be on the phone with OnStar executive offices giving them an earful. Suppose you had kids with you or a baby or an elderly parent OR you were traveling through a less than desirable area of town- you would be expected to be sitting there for all those hours! A free year of "service" is the LEAST they can do! :grim:
OnStar does not out source, they have three call centers located in the US that deals with all 50 states[or at least everyone except alaska/hawaii]. OnStar themselves take your call, and use their database to contact towing companies; however, since you're using OnStar, they look for towing companies in the local area that tow. Its not like AAA, where they have a fleet of tow vehicles that work for a single trusted company. And you can get stuck with average joe tow companies that can be told where to go, but aren't organized, or simply cant get the job done.

Besides, there are always the instances where something goes wrong. When I had my old car I had to get it towed 3 times, and call for a jump 4 times. out of the 7 calls, I've only had one problem, and it was a simple computer error that didn't finish processing my request for a tow, so I had to call back the next day to re-place my order. Besides, if you take the time to think about it, companies like AAA alone deal with thousands of calls a day[OnStar alone gets roughly 5-10,000 calls a day at each of its call centers], and they're bound to have a couple errors. If you're the one person who unfortunately has the error happen to, it sucks, but no system is perfect, and in cases like this, the fault lies with the towing companies[since OnStar tried 4 different towing companies].

Besides, without errors, there would be no way to demand free stuff from companies as compensation :th_coolio:

Reactions: GoldenCruze

·
Registered
904 Posts
While AAA does have their own trucks, they also outsource jobs. I've only had a AAA truck show up a couple of times over the several times I called for help. Everybody else was independent or belonged to another towing outfit. And I don't think the fact that a job coming from AAA, OnStar, or similar services are automatically at the bottom of the totem poll for those towing companies. They have partnered with those services to increase their businesses, and quite likely the majority of business comes from those services. They want to keep them happy.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
A free year with a piss-poor service like OnStar that already screwed him once, yeah that will make things better...
I wouldn't jump the gun here and call it piss poor service. There are many people very satisfied (i'm not one of them) with it and swear they'll never drive without it. Plus we'd already have an Onstar complaint thread.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts