Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
After calling and checking parts suppliers nationwide, I called my local dealer and was told that the part is back ordered and it could be months before I get it. He took my vin number and tried to put in a special request but a dealer who has the part has to be willing to sell it. Many of the parts departments that i spoke to said they have been waiting for months to receive the part to fix customers already in the system, and the part may not be being made anymore. I went ahead and ordered the part from a junkyard so I can get it back on the road. Good ole ebay. This is very frustrating.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
After calling and checking parts suppliers nationwide, I called my local dealer and was told that the part is back ordered and it could be months before I get it.
Being out of the supply chain could be an indication GM found a defect or design problem with the part and is currently working on a new design. The new part will have a new part number, when avalible your old part number will be discontinued but will indicate a newer part number is avalible.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I wonder if some sort of lubrication would extend the life expectancy of these ball joints? Of the ball and cup, is it the cup that is worn out? Is the ball still intact? It's difficult to tell from the pictures exactly what's going on.
I believe it's a bad design. The ball has very little neck. The cup has very little purchase on the ball. Any appreciable wear, and it will fall apart. There was no visible wear on either the ball or cup on mine. Usually plastic of this type is self lubricating, and external lubrication could soften the plastic. It's sealed up pretty tight, and I'm not so sure you could get the lubrication where it matters anyhow. If I were to try anything, it would be silicone spray.

On a side note, it's a safety system that can fail in an inopportune situation. It's probably worth making a complaint to www.NHTSA.gov Keep your receipts. If there's enough history, GM may be forced to make repairs and/or restitution to owners effected by this failure.

Funny my '97 F-150 had an early corrosion failure of a fuel tank strap. I was the first to post this failure on a popular F-150 forum where my post went mostly unnoticed. About three years later Ford issued a recall and reimbursed owners who had paid out of pocket to have this fixed.

i

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I am sitting at the dealer getting my wiper transmission replaced at 89k. I opted for the extended warranty so I am covered which is good. I would not wat to try fixing this myself today with below zero wind chill.

Back in December I had to have my driver side wiper arm replaced when it stripped out.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I am sitting at the dealer getting my wiper transmission replaced at 89k. I opted for the extended warranty so I am covered which is good. I would not wat to try fixing this myself today with below zero wind child.

Back in December I had to have my driver side wiper arm replaced when it stripped out.
Hey there,

We are sorry to hear that you experienced this problem with your vehicle. I understand that you visited the dealership today in order to get this resolved. Please feel free to follow up with us regarding your dealership visit. I will be glad to document your feedback within our system. Don't hesitate to send us a private message if any extra assistance is needed.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an '11 Cruze Eco @60k miles. This part just failed on me (drivers side ball joint popped out). Luckily a local dealer has one in stock so hopefully I can have this fixed tonight.

Of course this happens when I am driving out of town next week and the forecast is rain every day...

I know this is an older thread but I just wanted to post that I too have this issue.

·
5,722 Posts
I have an '11 Cruze Eco @60k miles. This part just failed on me (drivers side ball joint popped out). Luckily a local dealer has one in stock so hopefully I can have this fixed tonight.

Of course this happens when I am driving out of town next week and the forecast is rain every day...

I know this is an older thread but I just wanted to post that I too have this issue.
Oh no! We're sorry this happened with your Cruze right before your trip, MrPate! Were you able to get into the dealership today? Please let us know how everything turns out. We're available via private message if you need any additional assistance.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Cruze, which is out of warranty and I have the same exact problem with the wiper transmission failure. The replacement part cost $80, and it is relatively easy to put on; I believe 4 bolts. HOWEVER, now that it is back on, my wipers do not work correctly. So, this is not as easy as it sounds to fix it. When the wipers turn on, they snap downward once before going up, and now they do not cycle all the way up as the original did. When I turn them off, sometimes they return to the start position, but sometimes they don't and end up stopping in the center of my windshield, which is a problem. This has become a frustrating process over the past few weeks. Now off to the garage to try again. I'm sure it has to do with the position that the moving parts are in, but there are no markings that I can see that tell you what position they are supposed to be in when replacing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
HOWEVER, now that it is back on, my wipers do not work correctly. So, this is not as easy as it sounds to fix it. When the wipers turn on, they snap downward once before going up, and now they do not cycle all the way up as the original did. When I turn them off, sometimes they return to the start position, but sometimes they don't and end up stopping in the center of my windshield, which is a problem. This has become a frustrating process over the past few weeks. Now off to the garage to try again. I'm sure it has to do with the position that the moving parts are in, but there are no markings that I can see that tell you what position they are supposed to be in when replacing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I had the same problem. You need to look at the rotation of the arm. If the first move of the wiper arm is down, you need to pull the arm on the motor off and flip it 180 degrees.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seems to be an issue

Hey Gus- Same exact issue with my 2012 Cruze. Has 70,004 miles and the same part, same place went out. The flared end of small arm has worn out and will not seat back onto the ball. THANK GOODNESS I have a service plan with no deductible. They can get me in quick...but have to order the part. I had to pull over in rain conditions as well. The reason they break down while it's pouring down is because we're using them at the time. I was basically sitting on the arm rest just to see out of the passenger's side while in heavy traffic too. Seems to be an issue with another friend of mine as well. His was at 61,000. I asked him to post something as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I had to pull over in rain conditions as well. The reason they break down while it's pouring down is because we're using them at the time. I was basically sitting on the arm rest just to see out of the passenger's side while in heavy traffic too. Seems to be an issue with another friend of mine as well. His was at 61,000. I asked him to post something as well.
Would both of you please post a complaint to the www.NHTSA.gov website also. This is a safety issue, and should be covered/adressed by GM. Once enough compaints are lodged, NHTSA will launch an investigation which could trigger recalls and reimbursement for those of us who have already experianced the issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine just Broke this weekend, car is out of town I havent seen it yet ! Drivers side stopped,
I will fill in later what it is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can any one tell me what part number they replaced? Looking at GM Parts Direct I see the linkage as a whole but only $38** not the $80 you were talking about, I know that was a while back, is it the complete linkage I need, no I havent looked at the car yet still out of town, just getting prepared
http://gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Can any one tell me what part number they replaced? Looking at GM Parts Direct I see the linkage as a whole but only $38** not the $80 you were talking about, I know that was a while back, is it the complete linkage I need, no I havent looked at the car yet still out of town, just getting prepared
gmpartsdirect.com: Alternate GM Catalog
Yes #6 Part Number: 95971326. Maybe the price has come down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My '12 Cruze LT had the same thing happen. Lost operation of the driver's side wiper without warning. Was on NYS Thruway at 5:30 a.m. when it happened and had to pull over and wait for assistance. It was not under warranty (car has 78,000 miles on it) but this part should NOT be failing at all, no matter what the mileage.

·
5,722 Posts
My '12 Cruze LT had the same thing happen. Lost operation of the driver's side wiper without warning. Was on NYS Thruway at 5:30 a.m. when it happened and had to pull over and wait for assistance. It was not under warranty (car has 78,000 miles on it) but this part should NOT be failing at all, no matter what the mileage.
Hi Mary,

We truly apologize for this! Were you able to get the assistance needed to repair the wiper? If you need any additional assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me in a private message. We would be happy to reach out to the dealership on your behalf.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2012 Cruze had the driver side wiper fail in the fall. It took about a week to get the part. Now nearly 6 months later the wipers are sitting midway. For example, when I turn it on intermittently, it goes down, up, then back to midway. Anyone else with this issue? It is almost like it slipped on splines or something. It is the weekend now, so I may work on it myself.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.