Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the Cruze had been a good car owned it 4 years now very little issues and yesterday with very little warning the rod decided to come out of the block. 馃槼 will be looking for a new motor to replace this one.

Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
If you have the means, please tear down the engine and take a look at the oil pump seal for us. That would go a long way to helping us document the few engine failures we've seen with these engines.

Super Moderator

Reactions: jblackburn and MP81

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At 119k one of the connecting rods was sent through the side of the block with very little warning. I was on way home cruise set on highway goin 70 and i got a faint smell of oil. I was passing a semi with the window down and the car started making noise at first i thought it was the semi. By the time i got by him i realized it was my car. I was about 3 miles from home and i was trying to make it home without a tow and when i went up the next hill engine noise got loud and then boom. Rod through block pieces all over highway. I worked last weekend almost got engine out of car found another one to drop in we will see how this engine swap goes.

Registered
At 119k one of the connecting rods was sent through the side of the block with very little warning. I was on way home cruise set on highway goin 70 and i got a faint smell of oil. I was passing a semi with the window down and the car started making noise at first i thought it was the semi. By the time i got by him i realized it was my car. I was about 3 miles from home and i was trying to make it home without a tow and when i went up the next hill engine noise got loud and then boom. Rod through block pieces all over highway. I worked last weekend almost got engine out of car found another one to drop in we will see how this engine swap goes.
that's not normal 馃暤锔忊嶁檪锔忦煠封嶁檪锔 sounds like you had rod knock for a short time.. unlucky, but at highway speeds 馃槕

Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
Before you put the new one in, take the time to do this bit of preventative maintenance (might be what caused yours to fail?)

Registered
whats your oil change routine? change it when the DIC says or ?

whats you lifetime mpg?

im trying to find a correlation - lower mpg means more regens, more regens is more oil dilution, dunno if the extra fuel/heat from regens causes the seal to fail, or just the dilution itself is enough to reduce lubrication to cause these rods coming thru the block, but i also think if it was oil dilution the turbo would be failing first

or the seal itself is just doomed regardless

1 - 8 of 8 Posts