Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

120k 2.0 engine failure

8406 51
Well the Cruze had been a good car owned it 4 years now very little issues and yesterday with very little warning the rod decided to come out of the block. 馃槼 will be looking for a new motor to replace this one.
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

Registered

Premium Member
14 Diesel Cruze, 鈥14 volt, 鈥72 442
I think the heater hose will last longer - stock replacement lines will eventually do the same thing.
That鈥檚 what I did when I replaced the cooler. Worry free. The oem ones disintegrated when I took them off. Reuse the fittings, fuel line and rvt鈥one

pickup seal is a bitch, but a must do. Don鈥檛 put it off

Registered
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Well I鈥檓 up to 135k on it now no major issues. I didn鈥檛 put loctite on ac compressor bolts so that rattled loose and threw my serpentine belt other then that it鈥檚 been running great with no issues. One thing i have noticed it鈥檚 not a new problem but in cold weather if it鈥檚 not driven daily it has problems starting鈥 have to go use the key cuz the remote start will draw battery dead before it pops off. I epoxied an oil pan heater to the bottom of the engine which if plugged in the car starts fine but cold start it struggles. Anybody else have this problem鈥 and by cold weather i mean below 0

COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
When was the last time you replaced your battery?

Super Moderator
The charging strategy on these CTDs is programmed for fuel economy. The result is that the batteries never seem to get their full charge back. This is something I learned in the first few years of ownership.

the solution is to buy yourself a battery charger with an AGM program on it. Something with at least 10 amps output like the NOCO Genius 10. It鈥檚 currently the best value in an AGM compliant charger. And make a habit of placing that charger on your battery once every few weeks. You鈥榣l have no more starting problems.

I have a bunch of chargers, including a CTEK POLAR, but it鈥檚 4.3 amps and just can鈥檛 do much on these 80 amp hour batteries. So I use a NOCO Genius 26000 on my CTD. At 26 amperes output it normally runs for two hours at least once a month. But there have been times when it鈥檚 run for as much as four hours. For comparison, a 10 amp charger would take 2.6 times as long, my CTEK six times longer. Ain鈥檛 nobody got time for that.

Registered
2014 Cruze TD
Well I鈥檓 up to 135k on it now no major issues. I didn鈥檛 put loctite on ac compressor bolts so that rattled loose and threw my serpentine belt other then that it鈥檚 been running great with no issues. One thing i have noticed it鈥檚 not a new problem but in cold weather if it鈥檚 not driven daily it has problems starting鈥 have to go use the key cuz the remote start will draw battery dead before it pops off. I epoxied an oil pan heater to the bottom of the engine which if plugged in the car starts fine but cold start it struggles. Anybody else have this problem鈥 and by cold weather i mean below 0
My car sits outside. I had very cold weather starting issues when my battery was 5 years old. I went the trickle charger route during that very cold week of -15F nights and made it through, then got through the rest of the winter without it. I replaced the battery sometime in 2019 and haven't had any issues since.

Registered
have you tested your glow plugs?

up until ~2yrs ago i had no trouble with cold starts down to -40, then all of a sudden no start, crank but no start

replaced glowplugs and battery and started using antigel at -20c for insurance, then had another no start, had to use the torpedo heater to warm the car up to get a start

then i installed coolant heater Coolant Heater (Cruze Gen1) and no problems since

41 - 52 of 52 Posts