Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '13 Cruze LT 1.4T (32k miles) decided to throw itself into limp mode. It's been running perfectly, but when my wife fired it up and headed out the driveway, she noticed something was wrong.

From what I've read, limp mode limits the trans to only 3rd, 5th, and Rev. I scanned it with EFILive and got the following codes:

P0237 "Turbo/Super Charger Boost Sensor A Circuit Low" EPA ($11) "Engine Control Module (ECM)"
P2227 "Barometric Pressure (BARO) Sensor Performance" EPA ($11) "Engine Control Module (ECM)"
P0237 "Turbo/Super Charger Boost Sensor A Circuit Low" EPA Pending ($11) "Engine Control Module (ECM)"
P2227 "Barometric Pressure (BARO) Sensor Performance" EPA Pending ($11) "Engine Control Module (ECM)"
P0237 "Turbo/Super Charger Boost Sensor A Circuit Low" MH ($11) "Engine Control Module (ECM)"
P2227 "Barometric Pressure (BARO) Sensor Performance" MH ($11) "Engine Control Module (ECM)"

Other than being in limp mode, the only symptoms I've noticed are a more detectable whine (like a very quiet turbo whine) that increases with engine RPM and what sounds like a relay chattering near the turbo when the ignition is turned on, even if the engine is off.

I used electrical contact cleaner to clean the electrical connectors on the MAP sensor, the turbo boost and intake temp sensor just before the throttle body, and the electrical component near the turbo that seemed to be chattering. I tried to locate the barometric pressure (BARO) sensor, but where the manual shows the BARO sensor to be, my car has nothing (see pic below). Did only certain vehicles come with a barometric pressure sensor installed in this location? I don't see any wire harness nearby that would indicate a pressure sensor was ever installed in this location. Were some vehicles' BARO sensors installed in a different location?

After cleaning the connections, I cleared the codes and took it for a test drive, but it's still in limp mode, and the DTCs continue to reoccur.

I also logged data of the BARO sensor and turbocharger boost pressure sensor in EFILive. They both measure approximately 14 psi at idle or light throtttle. At heavy/full throttle, the BARO sensor is dropping to around 11 psi, and the turbo boost sensor drops as low as 5-6 psi. I wonder if limp mode may be bleeding off all boost pressure, but I don't know if that's the case.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Any help you can provide would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
At 32K miles your car is still under the full B2B warranty. Take it in to any Chevy dealership while it's in this mode. You don't have to take it to the selling dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I've considered that, but the car has a former salvage title, so I'm not sure whether or not the dealer will still honor the warranty. I may give it a shot and see what happens...

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
My '13 Cruze LT 1.4T (32k miles) decided to throw itself into limp mode. It's been running perfectly, but when my wife fired it up and headed out the driveway, she noticed something was wrong.

From what I've read, limp mode limits the trans to only 3rd, 5th, and Rev. I scanned it with EFILive and got the following codes:

P0237 "Turbo/Super Charger Boost Sensor A Circuit Low" EPA ($11) "Engine Control Module (ECM)"
P2227 "Barometric Pressure (BARO) Sensor Performance" EPA ($11) "Engine Control Module (ECM)"
P0237 "Turbo/Super Charger Boost Sensor A Circuit Low" EPA Pending ($11) "Engine Control Module (ECM)"
P2227 "Barometric Pressure (BARO) Sensor Performance" EPA Pending ($11) "Engine Control Module (ECM)"
P0237 "Turbo/Super Charger Boost Sensor A Circuit Low" MH ($11) "Engine Control Module (ECM)"
P2227 "Barometric Pressure (BARO) Sensor Performance" MH ($11) "Engine Control Module (ECM)"

Other than being in limp mode, the only symptoms I've noticed are a more detectable whine (like a very quiet turbo whine) that increases with engine RPM and what sounds like a relay chattering near the turbo when the ignition is turned on, even if the engine is off.

I used electrical contact cleaner to clean the electrical connectors on the MAP sensor, the turbo boost and intake temp sensor just before the throttle body, and the electrical component near the turbo that seemed to be chattering. I tried to locate the barometric pressure (BARO) sensor, but where the manual shows the BARO sensor to be, my car has nothing (see pic below). Did only certain vehicles come with a barometric pressure sensor installed in this location? I don't see any wire harness nearby that would indicate a pressure sensor was ever installed in this location. Were some vehicles' BARO sensors installed in a different location?

After cleaning the connections, I cleared the codes and took it for a test drive, but it's still in limp mode, and the DTCs continue to reoccur.

I also logged data of the BARO sensor and turbocharger boost pressure sensor in EFILive. They both measure approximately 14 psi at idle or light throtttle. At heavy/full throttle, the BARO sensor is dropping to around 11 psi, and the turbo boost sensor drops as low as 5-6 psi. I wonder if limp mode may be bleeding off all boost pressure, but I don't know if that's the case.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Any help you can provide would be appreciated!

Hey Kst8engineer,

Let us know in a private message if you need any additional assistance with this further! We would be happy to bring this to the dealership's attention as well. Looking forward to your updates in the meantime.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Salvage titles aren't covered by the warranty. Why was it salvaged?

·
Registered
19 Posts
You have a short somewhere, kindve like mine just had in my Power steering harness. Check grounds for a hopefully easy fix, if not he dealer is the only one that should touch anythig else as your warranty is still in coverage. Ive just learned the last couple days there's a lot of electrical issues with our cars. Since everything pretty much runs electronically ots going to throw codes throughout the different moduals and sensors will read low data/low input. My car was also in "limp mode" before I took it in. Be sure to take it before it does what mine did and wont start on you. Hope thos helps!

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I've considered that, but the car has a former salvage title, so I'm not sure whether or not the dealer will still honor the warranty. I may give it a shot and see what happens...
:question: Where did anyone say salvage?
See OP's post quoted here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.