Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I picked up my Diesel last Friday 2/02/18, I was staggered to find the brakes were interestingly warped, and pulsed badly. The rears seemed moreso. Anyways, when I got to work on Saturday morning one of the service advisors noticed a ring of rust around the rear rotor. About a 1/2" on either edge of the rotor.

I called the dealer. The service advisor told me to bring the car back in, too. I was owed a state inspection, so I was fine with that. I told them the deal, and I know some edge rusting is normal. But this seemed overwhelmingly excessive to me. They resurfaced the rotors on Wednesday, and the brakes have become a little softer since. Almost enough that I almost rear ended an Infiniti when I got to the light at the end of the road the dealer is on. I'm shocked nobody thought to pump them up a bit. They are better now. But anyways, They have now become EXACTLY THE SAME. The same amount of rust is on the rear rotors, they don't pulse like crazy anymore.

So, my question. Is this normal for rear-disc equipped cars, or is it something weird. If so, is there a fix? If not, is there a brand of higher performance pad-rotor that those here can recommend to me?

·
Site Sponsor
102 Posts
The rotor is rusting where the pad doesn't touch? If so that is normal with most rotors especially if you live near the water or the car was sitting for a little.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Usually my rotors have some type of minor rust on them. If the rotors were previously replaced, it's possible that it was done with low quality parts.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Depends upon age of rotors and use, I don’t turn rotors anymore, I just replace the rotors and pads and be done with it, seems like if turned they warp again usually for me. Rotors are pretty inexpensive today.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's rusting where the pad doesn't touch, yes. Which I understand is common. What I don't understand is the fact it's worse on the driver's side. It stops...granted like complete crap. It was serviced by GM, and I bet those are the original rotors. I'm currently researching my options for good aftermarket replacements.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Depends upon age of rotors and use, I don’t turn rotors anymore, I just replace the rotors and pads and be done with it, seems like if turned they warp again usually for me. Rotors are pretty inexpensive today.
Doesn't seem like there's anything left to surface on rotor these days. 1 set of brake wear and the rotors are worn beyond specs.

Back in the day a person could use first set. Turn the rotors. Use another set of brakes then it was time for new rotors. And front brakes only lasted around 30k miles. So basically 60k miles before changing rotors.

The front wheel drive americans were fairly cheap. The imports were more expensive. And required a sliding hammer to get them off. The old rear wheel drives were even more expensive. They were hub and rotor assemblies. Required bearings to be packed and new seals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts