Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, a couple thousand miles ago, I noticed a whining noise coming from my engine when it gets revved up a little bit. It seems like the sound has been there since new, but it got louder. It finally prompted me to take it in for timing belt change. I am awaiting diagnosis, but it's likely something like an idler pulley or bearing in the belt system. Please post your theories!

https://youtu.be/hfqutOduQGc

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Well it's definitely a rotational mass noise. I've heard similar on old Chevy 350s. I wonder if it might be a bearing in the alternator or the idler pulley as you suggested.

Always imagined your voice to be deeper. Lol.

Reactions: diesel

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
It was your car whining for a new timing belt. :) Let us know what it turns out to be.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
With only 5k left you decide now to get that T belt changed out .. I won ....hey Tomko you owe me a French Canadian Gal ................

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
with only 5k left you decide now to get that t belt changed out .. I won ....hey tomko you owe me a french canadian gal ................
lol

·
Registered
706 Posts
its the car crying for a new belt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but seriously it sounds like a typical gm alternator

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thing is, I put something up against the alternator to use the stethoscope method of tracing the noise, and it did not sound like it was coming from the alternator.

Reactions: KpaxFAQ

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Power steering pump?
In the Cruze, that would be the alternator. :grin: (Power steering is electrical.)

I'm wondering if it's the water pump. On my old car, the old ones would make strange noises. I'd just ignore it until it started to leak.

Reactions: diesel

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
If you can reliably make it happen, then one trick you can do is slip the belt off and run the car and see if it's still there. I don't think you'd cause any damage running it for 30 seconds or so with no belt. (Keep in mind there's no water pump, so don't run it too long.) If the noise does go away, then that's fairly good news. Whatever it is isn't major $$$ or all that hard to fix.

Or you could just spin things and see what "grumbles" or sounds a bit ragged as it spins.

Reactions: Tomko

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Idler pulley or alternator. Can't think of anything else since the PS is electrical.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
With such little miles I'm suprised that now the alternator is giving away.

Yeah I also imagined your voice sounding like Barry White. I don't know why.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Oh baby.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
So like when should I be recieving this gorgeous FRench Canadial Gal

I am not really interested in some lame noise coming from diseils diesel .
Since I already Won the bet !

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am still waiting to hear from the dealer. My vote is on the timing belt idler.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts