Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My diesel has about 10,500 miles and two times in last month I have had to brake very hard but for just a second or two and my wheels seemed to lock up and squeal. And it felt very jerky and I reduced speed quickly but didn't feel like I would expect, for one the wheels seemed to lock up. Anyone else experienced this?

·
10,712 Posts
Happens to me too even with 2 disc/2 drum setup. If you have the same LRR tires as me then that's why. I can take a 45 mph onramp at 60 and get the stabilitrac light to flicker. More stickier tires and it should be less of an issue but you may lose some MPG.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Sounds like you activated your ABS.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I've had a handful of panic stops and I have found the EBD (electronic brake force distribution or something like that) and ABS to work quite well. Never any lockup.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I know the feeling. I posted about this back in late 2013 about my 14 CTD. The ABS on these cars is odd in my opinion. Odd meaning you don't get the break pedal modulation (pulsating) that most are accustom to. The wheels just seem to "lock" (more like mush) and you get some tire squeal. I too find it rather unpleasant and unsettling.

Reactions: IndyDiesel

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have had this happen to me a few times, but figured I was just crazy. Glad I'm not the only one who has had it happen. I'm used to the pedal pulsating on ABS systems. I find on the Cruze, the pedal drops further than expected and it stops incredibly quickly with a bit of a squeal when this happens. It does stop really quickly though when it does this, and I guess that is what is truly important.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It just didn't feel what I was expecting, kinda a pulsing squeal, the main thing is the brakes slowed me down quickly.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The Cruze's ABS system works very well, although it feels a bit different than others. The first thing you have going for you is brake force distribution working out where to send braking force from front to back. Secondly, you have panic brake assist which, when the computer detects a panic stop, it automatically increases the braking force to the point of lockup at which point it realizes the boundaries. Third, you have the ABS computer constantly reading wheel speed sensors and determining what the max braking force can be without completely locking the wheel up. This can be a different pressure at each wheel to ensure maximum grip and stopping power while still having steering control. The Cruze seems to almost be able to threshold brake each wheel independently. The screeching you hear is not a complete lock up, but rather the tire on the very edge of grip, going slower than the car is moving but still not locking completely. All of this culminates into what you all have said, it stops VERY quickly, all things considered. GM has some very advanced safety tech.

TL;DR: basically when you slam on brakes, the ABS computer takes over and sorts everything out for you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,484 Posts
Yep, quickly jumping on the brake pedal will treat it as a panic stop.

The LRR tires probably don't help not make noise either - they'll squeal pretty easily.

I've had to do a panic stop a few times, and the little thing stops quicker than my 4 wheel disc Volvo, which was already excellent.

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
i await for the days i need new tires on my CTD to swap rims and go to a sports tire. curios how well it will stop then

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've had a handful of panic stops and I have found the EBD (electronic brake force distribution or something like that) and ABS to work quite well. Never any lockup.
What tires are you running? Maybe the difference is I am on Oem tires? My tires are in great shape since low miles. I was very happy with the car slowing down quickly just surprised me by the squeal.

·
Registered
533 Posts
What tires are you running? Maybe the difference is I am on Oem tires? My tires are in great shape since low miles. I was very happy with the car slowing down quickly just surprised me by the squeal.
If the ABS is working correctly, you should hear squealing. That is a product of the system. If you don't, you're not getting full braking potential. Squealing does not = locking up. It's the tire on the edge of grip, where it should be. Here's a video of a Toyota Camry doing an emergency ABS stop on dry road, note the squealing here too...
https://youtu.be/Eb7GAWs4Xgk

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
375 Posts
Its been shown several times slamming on the brakes and letting the system do it all takes a little longer to stop than if you stop manually. I would rather take control than give control away to be honest.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,484 Posts
Its been shown several times slamming on the brakes and letting the system do it all takes a little longer to stop than if you stop manually. I would rather take control than give control away to be honest.
??????

It's been shown multiple times that a car with ABS can out-stop the same car with ABS disabled.

Unless it's in snow/icy conditions.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Yeah the car does weird things when you reach that point. My rear gets squirrely in the snow.
This is a sign your rear brakes aren't doing their job of forcing the rear end down. Have you had your rear drums adjusted. My ECO has been incredibly stable in the few emergency braking situations I've dealt with.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Only if you are 100% accurate on your threshold braking. Most people aren't that much in tune with their vehicles.

·
10,712 Posts
This is a sign your rear brakes aren't doing their job of forcing the rear end down. Have you had your rear drums adjusted. My ECO has been incredibly stable in the few emergency braking situations I've dealt with.
That's next on the list since the brake bleeding.

I have stopped a couple times hard no problems. I do modulate my braking myself though.
I only do this in the snow, stabilitrac works wonders but the abs setup is meh. I used to turn it all off but at (not gonna tell exact speed for people to try and reenact) it kicked in at freeway speeds in the snow. There is certain cities where they have dry pasty freeway then the plow lifts and exits stage right leaving you with a drastic introduction to the poor city next doors non existent plows.

·
Registered
375 Posts
??????

It's been shown multiple times that a car with ABS can out-stop the same car with ABS disabled.

Unless it's in snow/icy conditions.

For the average driver that cant brake properly ABS will help them. For people that can it does not. Cheers.

When the weather gets bad all the junk gets turned off when I drive, I like to feel whats going on under me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts