Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well add me to the list of emission issues. 44500 miles. P21DD assume that is the DEF tank heater issue. My DEF level is 18%. Kinda sucks, have to travel to Chicago on Monday, guess I will drive a rental car. Think they want to do the recall of the recall whatever that is.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,913 Posts
They did the recall of the recall on ours - we have a few codes that apparently are present (one I thought was the DEF heater, but he said it wasn't covered under the special coverage, though I'm pretty sure it is, isn't it?) too, but would come and go as they pleased - never causing a speed limitation.

I'd have to go find the invoice to see which they were.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My only code I saw was the P21DD three times. Just assume it's the def tank, if that's what it is it should be covered by warranty.

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I had a code, pretty sure it was the P21DD. Mine was for the failed DEF Tank heater and they replaced it under warranty. A while after they also did the recall when it was in the dealership after I got into a crash with it. During its stay, they did the nox position 1 sensor, or which ever one is on the recall. Did the software too (which is now being recalled due to issues, which I never experienced.) I'm heading in Monday next week to get the revised software. My regeneration cycles seem to have been going fine and no further emissions issues since then. At the same time of the sensor recall, they replaced the EGR valve as it was sticking and causing a no-start situation.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had my def tank replaced by extended warranty. Had recall of recall done. Everything so far so good, other than I had a few things in trunk, when they replaced the tank, they left water bottles screw driver, etc on top on def tank in between the cover. DipSh!ts. Doesn't anyone take pride in their work?

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Had my def tank replaced by extended warranty. Had recall of recall done. Everything so far so good, other than I had a few things in trunk, when they replaced the tank, they left water bottles screw driver, etc on top on def tank in between the cover. DipSh!ts. Doesn't anyone take pride in their work?
they were rushing, they dont get full pay to do warranty/recall work.

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
Exactly - they get screwed, pretty much.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doesn't every job have something associated with it that isn't ideal? I sure do, but do my best, it took me about 90 seconds to remove the junk from under the cover, they are not that darn busy, plus they kept the car over night and was done about 830 am, so it would have been done at 832 am instead. That's just sloppy work.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was at 18% for def fluid, they did add fluid but didn't identify how much, that was nice. I don't think I will let it go that low again, don't know if that had any influence over the heater failing. I saw the bill on the dealer computer, would have been around $700. Still not happy with this emission system even though in 45k miles I haven't spent a dime on it yet, just know it's a matter of time. Had a 16 Cruze limited gas loaner and was fine to drive, just no extra power like the diesel. I enjoy driving the diesel more but it was slightly better than I thought it would be in the gas, avg 39 mpg on a 400 mile trip.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
Glad your car is back Indy.

Hey, at what point does DIC reading for DEF change from “OK” to a percentage? When I got the car in March it was reading a percentage. But ever since I dumped 2.5 gallon DEF in it just says “OK”.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Hey, at what point does DIC reading for DEF change from “OK” to a percentage? When I got the car in March it was reading a percentage. But ever since I dumped 2.5 gallon DEF in it just says “OK”.
35%

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts

I think 30%? 25? Something around there, I thought. Basically I know when it comes off "OK", I can put another 2.5 gallon jug of the stuff in.

Of course, that doesn't mean I do that. I generally forget until my wife tells me months later she's getting the countdown, so yeah...haha.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think 30%? 25? Something around there, I thought. Basically I know when it comes off "OK", I can put another 2.5 gallon jug of the stuff in.

Of course, that doesn't mean I do that. I generally forget until my wife tells me months later she's getting the countdown, so yeah...haha.
It might be 30, but definitely not 25, guess it doesn't matter, it gives you plenty of notice. I have driven mine for a few thousand miles past the initial percentage. With my driving a full def tank can probably go 15k Miles with my driving

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only issue is you have to periodically go to the DIC to see if it says ok or a percentage. It doesn't just flash up and say it's 35%. So that is probably what catches folks off guard, they don't look and it gets pretty low and then has a countdown on miles.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
The only issue is you have to periodically go to the DIC to see if it says ok or a percentage. It doesn't just flash up and say it's 35%. So that is probably what catches folks off guard, they don't look and it gets pretty low and then has a countdown on miles.
chevys workaround is that the def tank lasts far longer than the oci, if one were to fill every oil change, its never an issue

i let it go down into the teens for fun, and filled it while it it was waaaay subzero, took couple days for the DIC to register the fill

i guess same could be said for tpms, itll alert you when LOW, but during long drives, yeah i scroll thru to see whats goin on

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
chevys workaround is that the def tank lasts far longer than the oci, if one were to fill every oil change, its never an issue

i let it go down into the teens for fun, and filled it while it it was waaaay subzero, took couple days for the DIC to register the fill

i guess same could be said for tpms, itll alert you when LOW, but during long drives, yeah i scroll thru to see whats goin on
Are you on original def tank or has yours been replaced? Your in a colder climate than I am, not that seems to matter.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Are you on original def tank or has yours been replaced? Your in a colder climate than I am, not that seems to matter.
zero emissions repairs

probably go in next week for the nox recall

i have p24af, p249e, p24c6 codes (dpf and def) for mos....no issues from them.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
zero emissions repairs

probably go in next week for the nox recall

i have p24af, p249e, p24c6 codes (dpf and def) for mos....no issues from them.
The only issues I have had was the EGR stuck open, I cleaned that and car runs fine. And the def tank, thank goodness it was covered by the special warranty. Those have been the only issues, I had the original recall done dec 16 with 22k miles, no issues after, recall of the recall yesterday, not driven enough to know if I will have issues from that.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
An update to my recall of recall.

Yikes where do I begin. Ok now I have a SERVICE POWER STEERING, when this happens going down highway straight at 70 mph, DIC shows it, some idiot light flashes, then the engine flutters and RPM increases 250. Now my cruise control won't stay working, the speedometer will be jumpy from 40 to 60, couple times the transmission is shifting really weird, my computer says I am getting insane good fuel economy, it's basically screwed up and I believe it is from reprogram from recall or I have a bad ground or battery. Have an appointment at dealer. Never had any driving issues like this before. Maybe the ECM is fried. Have appointment for Friday, plan to dump the car on them tomorrow and get rental car and tell them to keep until it's fixed, because I don't want it back unless it's fixed.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.