Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Super Moderator
7,369 Posts
Sounds like battery or cable as you’ve already mentioned.

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Sounds like battery or cable as you’ve already mentioned.
My diesel was one of the very last produced, I assumed the battery cable was updated at factory when mine was assembled perhaps it wasn't, is the cable and warranty or special bulletin item or something?

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My dealer put some non diesel mechanic on it, I told them it was probably electrical issue start with negative battery cable, they couldn't listen and now they still have the car which is fine, driving a 17 Cruze hatch, nice car, enjoy driving it. See how tomorrow goes. I would guess the mechanic took it for a five min ride in town, I drive highway at a 100 miles one way. I wish I just had the new cable, and I would put a new battery in and I would guess my issues goes away. Sad when the owner knows more than a certified mechanic.

Reactions: Rivergoer

· Registered
255 Posts
My dealer put some non diesel mechanic on it, I told them it was probably electrical issue start with negative battery cable, they couldn't listen and now they still have the car which is fine, driving a 17 Cruze hatch, nice car, enjoy driving it. See how tomorrow goes. I would guess the mechanic took it for a five min ride in town, I drive highway at a 100 miles one way. I wish I just had the new cable, and I would put a new battery in and I would guess my issues goes away. Sad when the owner knows more than a certified mechanic.
My 15 CTD was also one of last cars made for that series and my stealership changed mine on my request with no,issues of questions. Got a new battery and cable out of the deal. No issues since then . I was getting the dreaded Battery Saver Active" message.

Reactions: IndyDiesel

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My 15 CTD was also one of last cars made for that series and my stealership changed mine on my request with no,issues of questions. Got a new battery and cable out of the deal. No issues since then . I was getting the dreaded Battery Saver Active" message.

@boraz provided the special bulletin. I printed it, will provide to them tomorrow on my way to work, say take on highway, drive till it screws up, then replace cable, try again and see if it fixes it. I don't have tolerance for not listening to me.

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
and the mechanic gets paid a whopping 20 mins pay to do the job

he's real happy to see you
Then just try replacing the cable per my request. I really don't give a hoot about his pay, I have a large investment in a car that isn't working properly. Dang it's not our job to do it for them. It's not my fault this is happening.

This dealership sells 500 cars a month, trust me they are making a lot of money, and service I am sure is very profitable at over a $100 a hour.

· Registered
255 Posts
I was at 18% for def fluid, they did add fluid but didn't identify how much, that was nice. I don't think I will let it go that low again, don't know if that had any influence over the heater failing. I saw the bill on the dealer computer, would have been around $700. Still not happy with this emission system even though in 45k miles I haven't spent a dime on it yet, just know it's a matter of time. Had a 16 Cruze limited gas loaner and was fine to drive, just no extra power like the diesel. I enjoy driving the diesel more but it was slightly better than I thought it would be in the gas, avg 39 mpg on a 400 mile trip.
I had a gas loaner too, a 17 Cruze Premier with every option they offer. The semi-autonomous driving option was cool. Would help.keep car in its lane automatically. My 15 diesel is torquier by far. @IndyDiesel , the one area I notice where fuel mileage on diesel takes a hit is when AC is on. It's noticeable. Now that it's getting colder here, W/O ac I pick up 3-5 mpg?

· Registered
2,992 Posts
the one area I notice where fuel mileage on diesel takes a hit is when AC is on. It's noticeable. Now that it's getting colder here, W/O ac I pick up 3-5 mpg?
weird

i get the exact same mpg year round whether its 100f outside or -40f outside and studded tires on, AC is on year round , defrost in winter or if its warmer than 55f, AC is on.

that was my issue with the 1.4, drastic mpg drop with AC or DIC telling me that AC is off cuz its too hot, lol

· Registered
2,992 Posts
Then just try replacing the cable per my request. I really don't give a hoot about his pay, I have a large investment in a car that isn't working properly. Dang it's not our job to do it for them. It's not my fault this is happening.

This dealership sells 500 cars a month, trust me they are making a lot of money, and service I am sure is very profitable at over a $100 a hour.
lol, just telling how they see it and how your car wont get priority cuz its warranty

enjoy the loaner

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well I got my car back, they couldn’t get car to duplicate what I shared with them. They had two different mechanics look it over. They don’t believe in guessing and just replacing stuff, which I appreciate. Spoke with shop foreman, he has been at this dealership for 20years, they offered to take him and I out together, car drove perfect. He drove.

Had my scanguage on there he shared that could cause electrical issues, he doubted it did but said it was possible. The stupid scanguage is flashing anyways, so will disconnect.

He agreed if it acts up again to replace cable to battery and said if I want to provide new battery they will install for free and if I have problems see if this takes care of it.

Everyone I spoke too understood my concern and knew I wasn’t blowing smoke and they tried at every level. They charged my loaner car since no warranty work applied, so that was $56 for two days and I drove 430 miles. I didn’t get charged a diagnostic fee which would have been fair had they charged me. Still much appreciated they didn’t.

Wish I had more conclusive outcome but it is what is and I am satisfied as to how I was treated. They treated me professionally and fair.

· Registered
70 Posts
I had to disconnect my scan gauge. It was causing all kinds of flashing trouble lights, kicking off cruise control. I have to call scan gauge back again as they asked me to try a couple of things to see if it would correct problem. It didn't and now I also don't get all the read outs on scan gauge. It constantly recycles readings

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I had to disconnect my scan gauge. It was causing all kinds of flashing trouble lights, kicking off cruise control. I have to call scan gauge back again as they asked me to try a couple of things to see if it would correct problem. It didn't and now I also don't get all the read outs on scan gauge. It constantly recycles readings
I just unplugged mine, sort of miss it, but it was flashing and got tired of it. I think the scan gauge wasn’t working properly have no idea if it was causing my issues.

· Registered
70 Posts
May start new post on this, but I got the P21DD and P20B9 code. Dealer is saying it is a glow plug module. Had to order part in, hope to have it back tomorrow. Another problem I wouldn't have with delete kit. Seriously considering it now 207690 mi.

· Registered
319 Posts
I think you still need glow plugs with a delete kit.
I’m pretty sure his glow plugs are working fine and the delete doesn’t affect the function of the glow plugs.

Apparently the glow plug module has a separate curcuit in it that gives power to the tank heater and this is what they are thinking is the problem.

Delete=no def which means no heater which means no need for that circuit on the glow plug module which means no more code.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.