Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the **** P21DD and P20B9 codes. Dealership is low on service techs and out of loaners. They said they might be able to get it in to look at it today but wouldn't give me a loaner till it was diagnosed. My response was Well how do I get to work then? He said they would take me home and hopefully get me something figured out by the end of the day. I was supposed to drive the car back to Wyoming 1000 miles on Monday for work. Maybe GM will pay for my rental and plane tickets???

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Got the **** P21DD and P20B9 codes. Dealership is low on service techs and out of loaners. They said they might be able to get it in to look at it today but wouldn't give me a loaner till it was diagnosed. My response was Well how do I get to work then? He said they would take me home and hopefully get me something figured out by the end of the day. I was supposed to drive the car back to Wyoming 1000 miles on Monday for work. Maybe GM will pay for my rental and plane tickets???
My dealer would have let me drive the car that far no issues. Your under full warranty if only 19k miles. I had the P21DD and they replaced def tank and provided a car for a day. I had some other weird electrical issues after and they had it for two days and car wouldn’t duplicate, don’t know what’s up with that.

They won’t buy plane tickets, but loaner car shouldn’t be an issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dealer would have let me drive the car that far no issues. Your under full warranty if only 19k miles. I had the P21DD and they replaced def tank and provided a car for a day. I had some other weird electrical issues after and they had it for two days and car wouldn’t duplicate, don’t know what’s up with that.

They won’t buy plane tickets, but loaner car shouldn’t be an issue.
well I'm actually at almost 30K it's been a few months since I've been on here lol. They wouldn't let me drive the loaner out of state and they didn't have any. I apparently made the right call by calling corporate and they go my car diagnosed before lunch which initially was told it'd be the evening if I was lucky and parts are being overnighted to have the car done by end of day Monday. Unfortunately I have to burn a vacation day but at least the car is going to be done. They got to the point where they were going to rent me a car in Wyoming and I was just responsible for the flight. Fairly impressed with corporates willingness to handle it. I told them they built a crappy car and emissions system and I shouldn't be the one who suffers for it.

·
Banned
260 Posts
well I'm actually at almost 30K it's been a few months since I've been on here lol. They wouldn't let me drive the loaner out of state and they didn't have any. I apparently made the right call by calling corporate and they go my car diagnosed before lunch which initially was told it'd be the evening if I was lucky and parts are being overnighted to have the car done by end of day Monday. Unfortunately I have to burn a vacation day but at least the car is going to be done. They got to the point where they were going to rent me a car in Wyoming and I was just responsible for the flight. Fairly impressed with corporates willingness to handle it. I told them they built a crappy car and emissions system and I shouldn't be the one who suffers for it.
The P21DD code is for the DEF heater and its not that cold right now to worry about the DEF freezing yet. I would have driven back home and either did the job myself or had my local dealer do it. If you had a cheap code reader all you need to do is start the engine , wait for the code to display and then use the code reader to clear the code. It seems the heater is only checked once during start and therefore will not display again until you stop the engine and then restart when it will once again check the heater. I went 1000 mile in two weeks while waiting for the replacement parts of heater and spanner tool to remove the lock ring. By resetting the MIL at start it never gets a chance to count down and as mention it only seems to check first at start not like some of the other faults which would keep coming back after a reset.

Keep in mind there is a special service bulletin out on the DEF heater so it should be replaced free for I believe the first 100K miles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The P21DD code is for the DEF heater and its not that cold right now to worry about the DEF freezing yet. I would have driven back home and either did the job myself or had my local dealer do it. If you had a cheap code reader all you need to do is start the engine , wait for the code to display and then use the code reader to clear the code. It seems the heater is only checked once during start and therefore will not display again until you stop the engine and then restart when it will once again check the heater. I went 1000 mile in two weeks while waiting for the replacement parts of heater and spanner tool to remove the lock ring. By resetting the MIL at start it never gets a chance to count down and as mention it only seems to check first at start not like some of the other faults which would keep coming back after a reset.

Keep in mind there is a special service bulletin out on the DEF heater so it should be replaced free for I believe the first 100K miles.
my car is still under its factory bumper to bumper and the extended certified used B2B as well. Repair cost wasn't my hang up at all. I thought about clearing it and seeing what would happen but I figured I couldn't take the chance. They are doing right and getting it done. They said if it were to happen while I was mid travel they would have given me a loaner and let me take it out of state. Different policies for different situations apparently.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I drove my loaner car out of state, all I asked was is there any mileage restrictions he said no, so I said ok. My dealer has 50 loaner cars, prior to selling they had 125. Must be something about a smaller dealer perhaps.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I got the 21DD last spring, well after it stopped being cold. My dealer was good about it. They put me in a Traverse. They had my car two days.

I hope they get it worked out for you. Like I said before, the Gen 1 diesels were test beds for the larger roll out of diesel products. I think GM figured out where all the failure points were with some real world "testing", I mean customers....

The car is solid, they just need to figure out the emission control system.

·
Banned
260 Posts
I told them they built a crappy car and emissions system and I shouldn't be the one who suffers for it.
Seems like a lot of complaining over minimal problem which you could have dealt with until you returned home. Were you expecting freezing weather in early October between Wyoming and Texas?? The dealer can be given 5stars for even dealing with your harassment... "I told them they built a crappy car and emissions system and I shouldn't be the one who suffers for it" There was a very simple solution for you to get your car back home and have it repair locally at your favorite local dealer. My '15 CTD has gone 73K miles with minimal occurrence of problems, yes I do have some dislikes but overall it has been as very good vehicle in comparison to others on the road. You should give the dealer kudos for even dealing with your attitude. If you came into my shop with that attitude I would have sent you on down the road!! The car was designed by humans and built by machine so one can expect some defects. If one gets good service when a defect is exhibited and the service is accommodating when other alternative are available, I just can't see all the complaining as it just becomes harassment.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems like a lot of complaining over minimal problem which you could have dealt with until you returned home. Were you expecting freezing weather in early October between Wyoming and Texas?? The dealer can be given 5stars for even dealing with your harassment... "I told them they built a crappy car and emissions system and I shouldn't be the one who suffers for it" There was a very simple solution for you to get your car back home and have it repair locally at your favorite local dealer. My '15 CTD has gone 73K miles with minimal occurrence of problems, yes I do have some dislikes but overall it has been as very good vehicle in comparison to others on the road. You should give the dealer kudos for even dealing with your attitude. If you came into my shop with that attitude I would have sent you on down the road!! The car was designed by humans and built by machine so one can expect some defects. If one gets good service when a defect is exhibited and the service is accommodating when other alternative are available, I just can't see all the complaining as it just becomes harassment.
oh boy now you want to go into saying I'm a complainer and have an attitude. That's real nice of you. You could actually call corporate and the dealer and hey would tell you I was super nice and easy to deal with but thanks for the BS assumption bud. Also yes Wyoming is getting down into the low 30's and high 20's at night right now. And I am also at home and this is going to be my new local dealer. I wasn't in Wyoming when this happened. Do a little reading to understand. The dealership will be getting five stars because they handled everything well. I never blamed them for anything except that they had told me it'd be 3 days before they could look at it. I could have cleared codes and seen what would happen but what about the people that don't have that ability. What if I didn't have a way to do that. Don't be a smartass and try to tell me I'm in the wrong here. I love the car and have really enjoyed it. I would appreciate it if when it breaks down GM understands little commute to downtown guys aren't the only ones who own them. I see I wrote a crappy car but I'm pretty sure autocorrect changed something because the car isn't crap just the emissions system. But again if you invest in something and it is still covered by warranty by the manufacturer they are responsible for your life not being completely interrupted and you missing work because the vehicle they designed and built is not performing the way it should be. That's why we have warranties. Don't go harassing me for wanting my car repaired and for it to work and get me where I need to go. I shouldn't have to clear codes and hope my car will get me home without going into limp mode. Why I would drive away from home when there is an issue would just be stupid. Check yourself bud cause responding to people like that isn't why we have a forum. I haven't been in the wrong or been a pain or been harassing or really complained very much.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I drove my loaner car out of state, all I asked was is there any mileage restrictions he said no, so I said ok. My dealer has 50 loaner cars, prior to selling they had 125. Must be something about a smaller dealer perhaps.
im sure I could have gotten away with it but they specifically said it can't leave Texas. They said if I would have been on the road traveling mid trip then I could have taken it anywhere. So weird how you get different stories from different places and dealerships.

·
Banned
260 Posts
oh boy now you want to go into saying I'm a complainer and have an attitude. That's real nice of you. You could actually call corporate and the dealer and hey would tell you I was super nice and easy to deal with but thanks for the BS assumption bud. Also yes Wyoming is getting down into the low 30's and high 20's at night right now. And I am also at home and this is going to be my new local dealer. I wasn't in Wyoming when this happened. Do a little reading to understand. The dealership will be getting five stars because they handled everything well. I never blamed them for anything except that they had told me it'd be 3 days before they could look at it. I could have cleared codes and seen what would happen but what about the people that don't have that ability. What if I didn't have a way to do that. Don't be a smartass and try to tell me I'm in the wrong here. I love the car and have really enjoyed it. I would appreciate it if when it breaks down GM understands little commute to downtown guys aren't the only ones who own them. I see I wrote a crappy car but I'm pretty sure autocorrect changed something because the car isn't crap just the emissions system. But again if you invest in something and it is still covered by warranty by the manufacturer they are responsible for your life not being completely interrupted and you missing work because the vehicle they designed and built is not performing the way it should be. That's why we have warranties. Don't go harassing me for wanting my car repaired and for it to work and get me where I need to go. I shouldn't have to clear codes and hope my car will get me home without going into limp mode. Why I would drive away from home when there is an issue would just be stupid. Check yourself bud cause responding to people like that isn't why we have a forum. I haven't been in the wrong or been a pain or been harassing or really complained very much.
I told them they built a crappy car and emissions system and I shouldn't be the one who suffers for it.

I think you just proved my point and a hot head to besides. Its not a perfect world... suck it up show some manners. If you were smart you could have been when and where you wanted to be on time, assuming you could plan your trip, without harassing the dealership and looking for a poor excuse to take time off work. The Cruze TD is a well made product all things considering and serves its class well.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I think you just proved my point and a hot head to besides. Its not a perfect world... suck it up show some manners. If you were smart you could have been when and where you wanted to be on time, assuming you could plan your trip, without harassing the dealership and looking for a poor excuse to take time off work. The Cruze TD is a well made product all things considering and serves its class well.
Yikes I think you are the one being rude. The emission system on this car we all own has issues, that’s a fact. It’s not our place to second guess his decision and not be comfy driving that far with a code on def heater. I had this code last week and I wasn’t comfy driving my car to Chicago from Indy, the countdown to death is a real issue, you don’t know when that will occur. I have a friend with a large Cummins diesel in a motorhome, his countdown to death was 30seconds and it shut down.

I think as members we should be supporting each other, not fighting with each other. It’s my opinion, we have lost lots of members for this very reason.

Reactions: BDRiskey

·
Banned
260 Posts
Yikes I think you are the one being rude. The emission system on this car we all own has issues, that’s a fact. It’s not our place to second guess his decision and not be comfy driving that far with a code on def heater. I had this code last week and I wasn’t comfy driving my car to Chicago from Indy, the countdown to death is a real issue, you don’t know when that will occur. I have a friend with a large Cummins diesel in a motorhome, his countdown to death was 30seconds and it shut down.

I think as members we should be supporting each other, not fighting with each other. It’s my opinion, we have lost lots of members for this very reason.
I think you both are missing the basic point! This board has well documented some of the rare problem areas, the typical simple fixes.. work arounds and detailed information on how the systems functions, one only needs to understand how their car systems work. In particular the issue of the OP complains about continuously thru his posts... the DEF heater. This has been an on going problem with all Chevy, ford diesels including the trucks basic all clean eco diesel, check it out. This is why GM has offered a special service bulletin to have it repair free for 100K mi. If one took the time to read their owners manual understanding the systems in their vehicle they would know why its there, how it functions, and if that particular system is needed for the current conditions.

Well... lets see, DEF heater is there to keep the DEF fluid from freezing, are the current weather conditions forecasting freezing conditions? You say no...hum? Seem to answer your very question... no need for heater so I can still run without a problem. Then you ask what about the dreaded count down? Ya, that is a problem if I let it run that will become a potential major problem so you say to yourself I have obligations... work, family, comfort, convenience to myself, etc? How do I accomplish what I need to do for myself till I get home and get it fixed? Very simple... the heater is checked once every start up cycle, so lets see? If I trick the system by resetting the CEL after first set when starting, its indication will extinguish and not start the count down. I get home... meet my obligation.... get it fixed at my local dealer I know is competent with no hassles to my self or even treats and harassment of those only attempting to help ME.

This is what I did, I was able to run two weeks and a 1000 miles before the replacement parts arrived. The only inconvenience of needing to reset the MIL indication every time I started then I could forget it until I stopped and needed to restart it again. Noting the counter NEVER ran!! NO need to harass, threaten, intimate the the poor sap that only was attempting to accommodate you in fixing your car! He does not have the part, yes you over look the obvious fix for yourself and harassed the people attempting to help you. Ridiculous, kinda in the order of the crazed shooter in Vagus, MOVE ON ...quit being so immature! If this vehicle is too complicated for you get a MOPED or bicycle.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I think you both are missing the basic point! This board has well documented some of the rare problem areas, the typical simple fixes.. work arounds and detailed information on how the systems functions, one only needs to understand how their car systems work. In particular the issue of the OP complains about continuously thru his posts... the DEF heater. This has been an on going problem with all Chevy, ford diesels including the trucks basic all clean eco diesel, check it out. This is why GM has offered a special service bulletin to have it repair free for 100K mi. If one took the time to read their owners manual understanding the systems in their vehicle they would know why its there, how it functions, and if that particular system is needed for the current conditions.

Well... lets see, DEF heater is there to keep the DEF fluid from freezing, are the current weather conditions forecasting freezing conditions? You say no...hum? Seem to answer your very question... no need for heater so I can still run without a problem. Then you ask what about the dreaded count down? Ya, that is a problem if I let it run that will become a potential major problem so you say to yourself I have obligations... work, family, comfort, convenience to myself, etc? How do I accomplish what I need to do for myself till I get home and get it fixed? Very simple... the heater is checked once every start up cycle, so lets see? If I trick the system by resetting the CEL after first set when starting, its indication will extinguish and not start the count down. I get home... meet my obligation.... get it fixed at my local dealer I know is competent with no hassles to my self or even treats and harassment of those only attempting to help ME.

This is what I did, I was able to run two weeks and a 1000 miles before the replacement parts arrived. The only inconvenience of needing to reset the MIL indication every time I started then I could forget it until I stopped and needed to restart it again. Noting the counter NEVER ran!! NO need to harass, threaten, intimate the the poor sap that only was attempting to accommodate you in fixing your car! He does not have the part, yes you over look the obvious fix for yourself and harassed the people attempting to help you. Ridiculous, kinda in the order of the crazed shooter in Vagus, MOVE ON ...quit being so immature!
It’s 10 years or 120k miles. I didn’t read your whole post. Have a good day. My opinion is still the same, your the one over reacting.

Comparing the OP to the Vegas shooter is way over the TOP. Please stop ranting at the OP and at me for that matter. It’s ok your opinion is different than mine, your not going to change mine, so just stop.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
we've lost more cuz of the crappy emissions system
I agree it’s a crappy emission system, even though I have been lucky so far. It’s still in the back of my mind knowing my car have a countdown to death. I spoke with my local Chevy dealer, can’t delete prior to warranty being up without loosing the warranty. I knew that all along. I don’t always believe everything I read on here. Lol

Reactions: BDRiskey

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts

Lesson 1: How not to be rude on the interwebs:

Seems like a lot of trouble over a minimal problem which you could have endured until you returned home. This would only be an issue in the winter, so you'd be fine in early October between Wyoming and Texas. My '15 CTD has gone 73K miles with minimal occurrence of problems, yes I do have some dislikes but overall it has been as very good vehicle in comparison to others on the road. You should give the dealer kudos for at least trying. If you came into my shop with that problem I would have done the best I could to fix it!! The car was designed by humans and built by machine so one can expect some defects. If one gets good service when a defect is exhibited and the service is accommodating when other alternative are available, one should give the dealer 5 stars for the service.

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
Lesson 2: How not to escalate the flaming you started by being rude on the interwebs:

I think you're right, and I was being unnecessarily rude. Its not a perfect world... I make mistakes too. I just believed you could have been when and where you wanted to be on time, assuming you could plan your trip, without all the trouble and needing to take time off work. The Cruze TD is a well made product all things considering and serves its class well.

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts

This is what I did, I was able to run two weeks and a 1000 miles before the replacement parts arrived. The only inconvenience of needing to reset the MIL indication every time I started then I could forget it until I stopped and needed to restart it again. Noting the counter NEVER ran!! NO need to harass, threaten, intimate the the poor sap that only was attempting to accommodate you in fixing your car! He does not have the part, yes you over look the obvious fix for yourself and harassed the people attempting to help you. Ridiculous, kinda in the order of the crazed shooter in Vagus, MOVE ON ...quit being so immature! If this vehicle is too complicated for you get a MOPED or bicycle.
Lesson 3: How not to get the admin's attention and risk a temp ban for breaking the #1 zero tolerance rule:

I think I might have been to harsh. This board has well documented some of the rare problem areas, the typical simple fixes.. work-arounds and detailed information on how the systems functions, one only needs to understand how their car systems work. In particular the issue of the OP is frustrated with... the DEF heater has been an ongoing problem with all Chevy and ford diesels including the trucks basic all clean eco diesel; check it out. This is why GM has offered a special service bulletin to have it repair free for 100K mi. If one took the time to read their owners manual understanding the systems in their vehicle they would know why its there, how it functions, and if that particular system is needed for the current conditions.

Well... lets see, DEF heater is there to keep the DEF fluid from freezing. Are the current weather conditions forecasting freezing conditions? If not, no need for heater, so I can still run without a problem. Then you ask what about the dreaded count down? Ya, that is a problem if I let it run that will become a potential major problem so you say to yourself I have obligations... work, family, comfort, convenience to myself, etc? How do I accomplish what I need to do for myself till I get home and get it fixed? Very simple... the heater is checked once every start up cycle, so lets see? If I trick the system by resetting the CEL after first set when starting, its indication will extinguish and not start the count down. I get home... meet my obligation.... get it fixed at my local dealer I know is competent with no hassles to my self or even treats and harassment of those only attempting to help ME. I guess I just assumed everyone had the same understanding of this system as I did, but in any case, that's what I would have done to minimize the inconvenience.

This is what I did, I was able to run two weeks and a 1000 miles before the replacement parts arrived. The only inconvenience of needing to reset the MIL indication every time I started then I could forget it until I stopped and needed to restart it again, noting the counter never ran. NO need to frustrate yourself and the the poor sap that only was attempting to accommodate you in fixing your car. Part availability is still an issue, so I would have recommended the easier fix until the new part arrived. I apologize for the earlier rudeness and realize that my abrasive tone can come off harshly when engaging technical topics. I was only trying to help.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.