Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys Seen this at work today...

#15224: Customer Satisfaction - Sunroof Glass Breaking - (Nov 23, 2015)

Subject: 15224 – Sunroof Glass Breaking
Models: 2015 Buick Regal
2014-2015 Chevrolet Cruze
Equipped with Sunroof (RPO CF5 or C3U)
[HR][/HR]THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL DECEMBER 31, 2017
ConditionCertain 2015 model year Buick Regal and 2014-2015 model year Chevrolet Cruze vehicles equipped with a sunroof (RPO CF5 or C3U) may have an abnormal condition in the sunroof glass panel that can cause the glass to break.
CorrectionDealers are to inspect and replace the sunroof window glass panel if necessary.
Vehicles InvolvedAll involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Investigate Vehicle History screen in GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.
For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.
The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this program is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this program.
Parts InformationParts required to complete this recall are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales (GMCCA). Please refer to your “involved vehicles listing” before ordering parts. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO = Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO = Customer Special Order.
Part Number
Description
Quantity/Vehicle
Window, Sun Roof
1 (if required)
Service Procedure

This inspection procedure requires the use of an electronic digital caliper with a depth measuring feature. Ensure the depth probe will fit into the gauge hole.
Use the following steps to inspect and if necessary, replace the glass sunroof panel assembly (window).

• Open the sunroof far enough to view the underside front of the glass assembly.

• Locate the 4 gauge holes along the front edge of the panel as shown in the graphic above (there are multiple gauge holes, only the four identified need to be measured).
  • Measure the depth of the holes as shown:

Ensure the base of the gauge is parallel to the edge of the panel.

Ensure the gauge is flat against the panel.
  • Measure the depth of the 4 gauge holes.
    • If the depth is LESS THAN 2.0 mm no further action is required.
    • If the depth is MORE THAN 2.0 mm, replace the sunroof window. Refer to Sunroof Window Replacement in SI.
Courtesy Transportation – For US and CanadaThe General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.
Warranty Transaction InformationSubmit a transaction using the table below. All transactions should be submitted as a ZFAT transaction type, unless noted otherwise.
Labor Code
Description
Labor Time
Inspect Sunroof Window Panel – No Further Action Required
Sunroof Window Replacement (Includes inspection)
Customer Notification – For US and CanadaGeneral Motors will notify customers of this program on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter included with this bulletin).
Dealer Program ResponsibilityAll unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this program must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this program bulletin beforecustomers take possession of these vehicles. Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this program at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, through December 31, 2017.
Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the involved vehicle listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is provided in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Program follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.
In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this program enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your facility for service through December 31, 2017 you must take the steps necessary to be sure the program correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.
December 2015Dear General Motors Customer:
This notice applies to your vehicle, VIN: ________________________________
We have learned that certain 2015 Buick Regal and 2014-2015 model year Chevrolet Cruze vehicles equipped with a sunroof may have an abnormal condition in the sunroof glass panel that can cause the glass to break.
Your satisfaction with your GM vehicle is very important to us, so we are announcing a program to prevent this condition or, if it has occurred, to fix it.
What We Will Do: Your GM dealer will inspect and, if necessary, replace the sunroof window glass panel. This service will be performed for you at no charge until December 31, 2017. After that, any applicable warranty will apply.
What You Should Do: To limit any possible inconvenience, we recommend that you contact your dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for this repair.
If you have any questions or concerns that your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.
Division
Number
Text Telephones (TTY)
Buick
1-800-521-7300
1-800-832-8425
Chevrolet
1-800-222-1020
1-800-833-2438
Puerto Rico – English
1-800-496-9992

Puerto Rico – Español
1-800-496-9993

Virgin Islands
1-800-496-9994

We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. We want you to know that we will do our best, throughout your ownership experience, to ensure that your GM vehicle provides you many miles of enjoyable driving.
Terry M. Inch
Executive Director
Global Connected Customer Experience

·
Registered
625 Posts
I remember the recalls on the hyundais for the sunroof. The inspection procedure for that was a marble and a piece of pre measured pvc pipe. Drop the marble into the tube on 5 spots and see if it brakes lol.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha really that sounds smart.. so if it breaks well that sucks haha and of course my cruze is under the recall and i need a new glass piece

·
Administrator
25,208 Posts
I stuck this thread. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Same maker as the rest of the glass in a Cruze?

·
Administrator
25,208 Posts
It looks like some of the alignment "holes" are too deep, resulting in glass that doesn't meet standards.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, for over a 20-25 period, wouldn't even think about buying a vehicle without a sun roof, but maybe after this long period of time with my head hitting that lower roof line, finally knocked some sense into my head.

Its not a sealed roof, has two or four bypass drains that were always plugging up, guess where that water goes when the drains, even half of them plug up. Then when was I using this thing, certainly not on the highway with kids in the back seat. Nor when that hot sun was pouring down. Just about the only time was in town at night if the weather was okay.

My days of scoping the loop were far over, could be nice for a guy standing on the seat with an AK-47 with the roof open like they do into the movies, but we are not into this.

My son got stuck with a sunroof when he purchased his 2009 Nitro, but was told he had to order this so he could get the towing package that he really wanted. With more kids, told him the same thing with his 2014 T&C, this time he fought with the executives at Chrysler, either sell me the towing package without the sunroof or I am going someplace else. They gave in.

Use to be a 3,000 buck option, think my Cruze dealer said was around 900 bucks, but replied, hail no to this. Guess at 900 bucks, making them too cheap now so falling apart.

88 Supra does have a removable roof, took my wife to be for a spin in it, but this was before we were married. Ha, now she says, leave it on, don't like my hair getting all messed up. So much for a removable roof. But it does seal tight.

Ha, occasionally she asks me if I want to trade it in for an SUV, just reply, my baby has been with me a lot longer than you have, LOL. But I found a good deal, she said, keep your Supra, okay, more money in the bank.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Ya, they gonna change mine. :signs053:

I went to install my Winter tires and they told me about it, checked it and it needs to be changed.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Old saying in engineering, other fields as well.

Never enough time to do it right the first time, but always even time to do it right the second time.

Also a heck of a lot more expensive.

Then the bean counters, giving an extra one or two beans initially, would also save thousands later.

But just like history, written and forgotten, just can't seem to learn from it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
i guess i'm slightly confused by this. Isn't the body on the '15 the same as the previous years? Why would the sunroof change between years if the rest of the body is the same. Just seems like all of the years would be recalled, unless maybe they changed suppliers?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Works either way, depending on management. Some want to make improvements for some known problems, others want to make it cheaper for more profit.

Some want to bring everything in house for better quality control and even reduced cost, not paying extra for profit for vendors, then the next guy wants to source everything out. Look what happened to Delphi and Delco.

Some are concerned about customer satisfaction, others are only concerned about the stockholders. Was even told to use your bathroom at home, you are stealing both your time and toilet paper from the stockholders.

Ha, gave me a different perspective on life, was somewhat under the impression was living in the land of freedom, but our corporations are much more like dictatorships. Tell you where to be, what to do, how to dress, how to behave, etc. You really don't have a life.

Also problems with the IRS, inventory is profit, but not at the cost of the product, but what it would sell for at retail prices. This really led to outsourcing and so-called just in time delivery. Rush to market also became popular.

Ha, even in my younger days, made the comment that was just taught the basics of engineering, but never had a course in political electronics.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Also heard sunroofs called moonroofs, guessing it has something to do with the time of day you are driving, what about cloudy day roofs?

Least all my whatever roofs came with a hand crank in case of electrical failure. So here is a stupid question. Why don't they provide a hand crank for power windows? They are also subject to electrical failure.

Won't even bring up a rollover with whatever roofs.

·
Administrator
25,208 Posts
Also heard sunroofs called moonroofs, guessing it has something to do with the time of day you are driving, what about cloudy day roofs?

Least all my whatever roofs came with a hand crank in case of electrical failure. So here is a stupid question. Why don't they provide a hand crank for power windows? They are also subject to electrical failure.

Won't even bring up a rollover with whatever roofs.
The difference between sunroofs and moonroofs is the darkness of the glass. Dark glass is a sunroof. Lighter glass is a moonroof. I second the idea of having a hand crank - in fact, my mom's mid-70s Alfa Romeo Spider had power windows and a crank handle in the glovebox for just the chance the motor failed.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
This is not a recall. I suggest that the title be edited accordingly.

·
Administrator
25,208 Posts
This is not a recall. I suggest that the title be edited accordingly.
Good catch. Thread title changed to match the GM Bulletin title. If this becomes a recall, and it might because it involves broken glass falling on people, we'll change the title to reflect that. I also moved the thread to the Appearance, Body, Detailing, and Interior forum section.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts