Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Epic Beard Man
5,415 Posts

·
10,686 Posts
Also heard sunroofs called moonroofs, guessing it has something to do with the time of day you are driving, what about cloudy day roofs?

Least all my whatever roofs came with a hand crank in case of electrical failure. So here is a stupid question. Why don't they provide a hand crank for power windows? They are also subject to electrical failure.

Won't even bring up a rollover with whatever roofs.
My Buick called it a astro roof. As for rollovers, We talking aftermarket taking structural rigidity away?

·
Administrator
24,990 Posts
i guess i'm slightly confused by this. Isn't the body on the '15 the same as the previous years? Why would the sunroof change between years if the rest of the body is the same. Just seems like all of the years would be recalled, unless maybe they changed suppliers?
The 15s got a different front fascia. I don't know if the roof area was changed or not.

·
Premium Member
3,176 Posts
Well it looks like my new baby's VIN# falls under this recall/service bulletin? :sad010:. Not particularly what I wanted to see because we all know how problematic sunroofs can be.

Unfortunately, I guess it wasn't already corrected because the chevy recall center webpage states that "recalls and/or programs for your vehicle in which repairs have not been completed are listed below" and then below that the program status reads: Incomplete. I guess my next step is to call the dealership's service department? Should I be concerned that my sunroof will never be the same and have leaking problems if the service of replacing the glass has to be performed?

·
Super Moderator
5,526 Posts
Well it looks like my new baby's VIN# falls under this recall/service bulletin? :sad010:. Not particularly what I wanted to see because we all know how problematic sunroofs can be.

Unfortunately, I guess it wasn't already corrected because the chevy recall center webpage states that "recalls and/or programs for your vehicle in which repairs have not been completed are listed below" and then below that the program status reads: Incomplete. I guess my next step is to call the dealership's service department? Should I be concerned that my sunroof will never be the same and have leaking problems if the service of replacing the glass has to be performed?
No...
The glass replacement is very simple.
Open the sunroof and you will see 4 torx head screws holding the glass frame to the actual sunroof rails.
Removal of the glass only requires removing the 4 screws.....the actual mechanism is not disturbed nor is the headliner disturbed.

The adjustments to the glass are only up/down so it follows the roofline when closed.....a simple adjustment.

All sunroofs leak water and that's why there is a tray or gutter under the seal you see.....the seals seep, water drips onto the tray, the water is directed to the sunroof drain tubes and out of the car.

Note: Never leave the sunroof open for ventilation when parked. Debris gets blown into the above mentioned gutters and will end up plugging the drain tubes......this gets water dripping out of the headliner......Bad Ju Ju.

Don't frett.....this is a simple repair if the glass is needed and the measurement of your current glass does not require removal.

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,176 Posts
No...
The glass replacement is very simple.
Open the sunroof and you will see 4 torx head screws holding the glass frame to the actual sunroof rails.
Removal of the glass only requires removing the 4 screws.....the actual mechanism is not disturbed nor is the headliner disturbed.

The adjustments to the glass are only up/down so it follows the roofline when closed.....a simple adjustment.

All sunroofs leak water and that's why there is a tray or gutter under the seal you see.....the seals seep, water drips onto the tray, the water is directed to the sunroof drain tubes and out of the car.

Note: Never leave the sunroof open for ventilation when parked. Debris gets blown into the above mentioned gutters and will end up plugging the drain tubes......this gets water dripping out of the headliner......Bad Ju Ju.

Don't frett.....this is a simple repair if the glass is needed and the measurement of your current glass does not require removal.

Rob

Ok, cool! Thanks, for explaining that better for me and helping put my mind at ease. I'll give my dealership a call hopefully sometime tomorrow and let them know about it. I appreciate it Robby!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Took my late 2014 model in for an oil change today and they're also replacing the sunroof glass on mine. They did the gap test and it failed. So it affects more than the 2015 model.

·
Premium Member
6,920 Posts

Unfortunately, I guess it wasn't already corrected because the chevy recall center webpage states that "recalls and/or programs for your vehicle in which repairs have not been completed are listed below" and then below that the program status reads: Incomplete.
They should not have sold you a car with an open recall, period. This should have been taken care of before you took delivery. Think about it this way, the car was sitting on their lot doing nothing and now you get to be inconvenienced with the potential issue.

·
Premium Member
3,176 Posts
They should not have sold you a car with an open recall, period. This should have been taken care of before you took delivery. Think about it this way, the car was sitting on their lot doing nothing and now you get to be inconvenienced with the potential issue.
Yeah, I totally agree with that! To be somewhat fair, it was transferred to them only 1 day before I came and signed the papers to purchase it. However, it should be their job to know this stuff and like you said, they really shouldn't have sold it to me with a open recall on it. My wife and I now have to plan our schedules so that I can figure out a time to take it to them which is tough because she's a nurse and I'm working 6 day a week until the second week of january.

Maybe I should ask for an accessory for the Cruze to be on the house? I'm thinking the trunk cargo net, the Premium All-weather Cargo Mat, or the clear Rear Bumper Fascia Protector (which they likely do for free anyway because I found a defect/cut in the paint in this area).

·
Super Moderator
5,526 Posts
This is not a recall.......It is true that a new vehicle on the lot is not to be sold until any open recalls are completed, but this would not be required for a 'Product Update' which this essentially is.

From the standpoint of customer satisfaction, it should have been performed prior to the sale, however........I'm going to speculate that this car was a gift of sorts and since it had to be dealer traded there may not have been enough time between the selling dealer receiving the car and Mrs. Starks8 completing the deal to surprise Mr. Starks8.

Although it would have been nice to not have to return to the dealer for the update, it is hardly the end of the world.........and does not require instant repair.
I'd recommend having the inspection done when convenient, and, if a glass is needed to be ordered, do so and have it installed at the first oil change........It is only .3 to inspect, an additional .3 to replace....real time though.....15 minutes to check, half hour to replace.

Rob

·
Registered
246 Posts
I was notified via OnStar that my vin was part of the sunroof recall. They immediately ordered the parts, put me in a rental car and it was fixed in a day and I was on my way. It's a 2015 CTD.

·
Registered
246 Posts
This is not a recall.......It is true that a new vehicle on the lot is not to be sold until any open recalls are completed, but this would not be required for a 'Product Update' which this essentially is.

From the standpoint of customer satisfaction, it should have been performed prior to the sale, however........I'm going to speculate that this car was a gift of sorts and since it had to be dealer traded there may not have been enough time between the selling dealer receiving the car and Mrs. Starks8 completing the deal to surprise Mr. Starks8.

Although it would have been nice to not have to return to the dealer for the update, it is hardly the end of the world.........and does not require instant repair.
I'd recommend having the inspection done when convenient, and, if a glass is needed to be ordered, do so and have it installed at the first oil change........It is only .3 to inspect, an additional .3 to replace....real time though.....15 minutes to check, half hour to replace.

Rob
If its not a recall for certain vin matched vehicles, what is it?? TSB?? My OnStar made it seem like a recall that had a yellow triangle that said " Requires Immediate Attention."

·
Super Moderator
5,526 Posts
If its not a recall for certain vin matched vehicles, what is it?? TSB?? My OnStar made it seem like a recall that had a yellow triangle that said " Requires Immediate Attention."
To keep things confusing they called it a 'Customer Satisfaction' bulletin.........Seems appropriate....I don't think I'd find my sunroof imploding onto my lap very satisfying.

That is me being a bit tongue in cheek BTW.

Recalls are specific to safety related oversights.......As far as who determines/what determines safety, we'll never know.
There is one factor though.......recalls are forever.....there is no end date or mileage limit.

This sunroof thing has a 'repair by X' date.........see page one of this thread to read the actual notice.

Ho Ho Merry Merry and all that Jolly stuff!

Rob

·
Administrator
24,990 Posts
I tend to agree with you. However, recalls have a legal definition and I don't think this one quite met that definition. Definitely get it looked at though and get your sunroom glass replaced if it's one of the "defective" ones.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I tend to agree with you. However, recalls have a legal definition and I don't think this one quite met that definition. Definitely get it looked at though and get your sunroom glass replaced if it's one of the "defective" ones.
It's already been done!! Thanks for the heads up!!

·
Premium Member
3,176 Posts
Going in January 2nd to have mine looked at. Also going to have them look at two small cuts in my rear bumper fascia where the trunk lid meets it and the serration on both corners of my glove box door lip.

Should I also have them check my spark plugs and adjust my headlights when/if I have to come back to get my sunroof glass replaced? If so, what is the appropriate gap for the 2015 Cruze spark plugs and how do I know if my headlights actually need to be adjusted 1.5 of a turn like it seems was the case for everyone else? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,526 Posts
Odds are they won't check the plugs......nothing failed, no CEL.

They may check the headlamp aim but frankly, most dealers don't have a aiming stand.....they just aim the car at a wall and adjust them to what they think is correct......rarely is.
If you find the lighting satisfactory, leave them alone.

Rob

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
20 Participants
Robby
Chevrolet Cruze Forums
CruzeTalk.com forum, news, discussions and the best community for owners to discuss all things related to the Chevy Cruze.
Full Forum Listing