Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,884 Posts
So, without reading it all, is that a new version of the suspended recall?

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, without reading it all, is that a new version of the suspended recall?
On February 7, 2017 dealers were advised via Global Connect that Emission Recall 15594 was suspended until further notice and the status of all vehicles associated with this field action were changed to "closed" in IVH.

As of today General Motors is releasing Emission Recall 17089 which supersedes and replaces Emission Recall 15594. All vehicles associated with this field action have been transferred to recall 17089. The total number of U.S. vehicles involved is approximately 12,540.

General Motors has decided to conduct a Voluntary Emission Recall involving certain 2014 and 2015
model year Chevrolet Cruze model vehicles equipped with a 2.0L (RPO LUZ) diesel engine. On some
vehicles, depending on driving habits, soot may build up on the engine’s NOx position 1 sensor and / or
oxygen sensor, causing the vehicle Check Engine Indicator to illuminate.
An earlier correction for this condition (Voluntary Emission Recall 15594) may, under certain driving
conditions, inadvertently cause the vehicle Check Engine Indicator to illuminate.

Correction For vehicles that were not serviced under previous recall 15594, dealers are to replace the NOx position
1 sensor and reprogram the engine control module with a modified calibration, and initiate a Diesel
Particulate Filter cleaning cycle
For vehicles previously serviced under recall 15594, dealers are to reprogram the engine control module
with a modified calibration, and initiate a Diesel Particulate Filter cleaning cycle.
Confirm status of recall 15594 following the instructions in the Warranty Information section.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Interesting. I'll give it a try. Both mine had the last recall without issues.. .may do them at different times to see a before and after comparison..

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Banned
260 Posts
On February 7, 2017 dealers were advised via Global Connect that Emission Recall 15594 was suspended until further notice and the status of all vehicles associated with this field action were changed to "closed" in IVH.

As of today General Motors is releasing Emission Recall 17089 which supersedes and replaces Emission Recall 15594. All vehicles associated with this field action have been transferred to recall 17089. The total number of U.S. vehicles involved is approximately 12,540.

General Motors has decided to conduct a Voluntary Emission Recall involving certain 2014 and 2015
model year Chevrolet Cruze model vehicles equipped with a 2.0L (RPO LUZ) diesel engine. On some
vehicles, depending on driving habits, soot may build up on the engine’s NOx position 1 sensor and / or
oxygen sensor, causing the vehicle Check Engine Indicator to illuminate.
An earlier correction for this condition (Voluntary Emission Recall 15594) may, under certain driving
conditions, inadvertently cause the vehicle Check Engine Indicator to illuminate.

Correction For vehicles that were not serviced under previous recall 15594, dealers are to replace the NOx position
1 sensor and reprogram the engine control module with a modified calibration, and initiate a Diesel
Particulate Filter cleaning cycle
For vehicles previously serviced under recall 15594, dealers are to reprogram the engine control module
with a modified calibration, and initiate a Diesel Particulate Filter cleaning cycle.
Confirm status of recall 15594 following the instructions in the Warranty Information section.
I never had the original recall (Emission Recall 15594) performed since there was not a problem then. Subsequently I recently had the emission CEL problem at about 58K miles, took the car to the dealer and the work they performed was as described in Recall 17089 but they did not classify it as a recall at the time the work was done and I had to pay out of pocket. Now I wonder if I can get reimbursed since the recall problem is now officially released and documented?? :sigh:

1500 miles and counting without a problem!:jump:

Reactions: pacolino

·
Banned
260 Posts
thanks, but no thanks. fleece tune works just fine.:smile:
I see that several of the posters replying are our friends to the north... Canada:wave:
I hear you guys have some really good diesel where as a lot of us, myself included, here in the States are stuck with B20 diesel+extraneous bilge sludge.

The recall seems to suggest that the NOX1 sensor is fouling which I offer the quality of the fuel might be aggravating the condition and leading to the eventual recall conditions (soot fouling the sensors)?? Some of us seem to be able to go further then others before the eventual, emission CEL, seems to happen. Compared to others I was able to go 59K miles before this problem reared its head where others have gone only 25K mile before the problem occurred. I suggest that by adding approved fuel additives to each fill up might extend the range before this becomes a problem. Others here in the States suggest that they are able to get better grade diesel then B20 fuel which may be another way of extending this eventual incident?? How about a blend of JP8 or Jet A-1, this should keep our fuel system clean, lubricated and free flow during the cold winter months.:smile:

I would like to think that the recall is not suggesting the original NOX1 sensor be replaced with the same sensor but is being replaced with a new and improved sensor which is less likely to be susceptible to soot fouling?? :smileystooges:

Reactions: oilburner

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I am about 9000 plus miles past having recall done in late dec 16. I didn't have issues prior or after recall. Only difference on my end is now my regen cycles are much longer, prolly average 850-950 miles between regens. Until I have a problem, no way am I having them reprogram. I am happy with things as they are. Current mileage is 31k

·
Registered
791 Posts
coming back from Lordstown yesterday, check eng light came on, an I found a code for nox sensor #2 cleared it an by the time I got home it was no longer there. was thinking this was the one under warranty but no such luck.........wait an see if it reoccurs. when I`m away from home I always worry I might get the dreaded mileage countdown. stupidest thing the EPA has ever come up with.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I just had the 17089 Recall done today, maybe I'm the first guinea pig. I had the 15594 Recall done last November. It included a ECM program modification but no forced DPF cleaning cycle. My service writer said that was not included and was done last time in Nov. It took 2 hours including the car wash. The car seems peppier now by the "seat of the pants" dyno. We'll see what happens further down the road. Perhaps someone can start another Poll like last time as was suggested.
P.S. After calling GM customer service yesterday, I brought my car back to the dealer today to have the forced DPF regen done with their approval. Hopefully all will go well into the future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, but I should have been tracking it for a long time now. My wife's car is the 2014 CTD and has had every issue with the check engine light and these sensor issues. This car has always run great, but it has run more miles with the check engine light on in the last 25,000 miles than it has with it off. It has been to the dealer multiple times and who has done an OK job, but the underlying problems just don't seem to get fixed. So tomorrow it goes in for this latest recall because in addition to the check engine light it has gone into the slow down mode for the DEF supposedly being empty when it is in fact full.

When I made the service call this morning the dealer was also letting me know that the car is now out of normal warranty, but that this latest recall should be covered and hopefully take care of everything. Seriously this is getting old. We are quickly going into lemon territory. I really don't want to have to get into doing modifications myself, but may have to at some point. I can reset codes myself, but I worry that somewhere along the line a really serious code will come up and I will ignore it and override it.

But other than that this is a great little car.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Not touching this one. I had an EGR fail in early 2016 which was fixed under warranty. Did the 15594 in late 2016 and all **** broke loose with multiple trips with multiple sensors and the EGR again replaced (fortunately at no cost and minimal time due to Loaners). When they recalled the recall I got flashed back to normal and life has been good since for over 20K. Not Quite Yet

·
Registered
821 Posts
I just had the 17089 Recall done today, maybe I'm the first guinea pig. I had the 15594 Recall done last November. It included a ECM program modification but no forced DPF cleaning cycle.

P.S. After calling GM customer service yesterday, I brought my car back to the dealer today to have the forced DPF regen done with their approval. Hopefully all will go well into the future.
Good since it clearly states in the updated recall to perform a regen and reset fuel trims after the new calibration.

·
Registered
821 Posts
For what it's worth I had the original recall done and never had an issue (we did have two at work that had to be flashed back due to CE's though.)

Had the updated recall done Friday and just got back from a 1400+ mile road trip with no issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, we had the latest recall done a little over a week ago, they also put a new kit on for DEF pump of some sort. Did the regen, reprogrammed it and new NOX sensor. It is nearly impossible to understand their jargon in house terminology, but that is what the verbal description was. The car actually ran much better afterward and all was good for about a week and then the dreaded CEL was on again. Then yesterday morning it was off again. We have no faith that it will stay off so have decided to really start chewing up the food chain here. The car goes back to the dealer next Thursday. I have sent a message to GM Customer Care on their website and have not heard back from them yet.

Again we like this car and if the dang CEL stayed off we wouldn't have any complaints whatsoever, the car has always run well. But we can't tell when the problem is serious or not, so taping over the light is not a viable option. I am also not willing to continuously reset the error codes.

I did talk with a guy at the Oregon Attorney Generals Consumer Division about what if any recourse I have in this situation. He said that we were way past the use of Lemon Laws, but that contact with the Federal Trade Commision was one of the avenues I should go. My plan next Thursday is to meet with the dealer service manager and start pushing this up the hill from their side and to get GM regional involved.

When we bought this car we were also looking at the VW Jetta TDI, not sure that would have gone any better, but we for sure didn't sign up for being guinea pigs in GM's development program.

I should note that this car is used daily to drive in to work about 25 miles each way with 20 of those miles being at steady 60+ mph, so the motor/exhaust should be getting warm enough to manage burning off the particulates. Early on they were claiming that in town driving was causing the problem, but that was never the case.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
For now I am going to avoid this recall just like the first one. I am now just over 50,000 miles/80,000 km and have had zero issues and zero trips to the dealer to date (knock on wood). I would like to keep it that way.

·
Banned
260 Posts
Ok, we had the latest recall done a little over a week ago, they also put a new kit on for DEF pump of some sort. Did the regen, reprogrammed it and new NOX sensor. It is nearly impossible to understand their jargon in house terminology, but that is what the verbal description was. The car actually ran much better afterward and all was good for about a week and then the dreaded CEL was on again. Then yesterday morning it was off again. We have no faith that it will stay off so have decided to really start chewing up the food chain here. The car goes back to the dealer next Thursday. I have sent a message to GM Customer Care on their website and have not heard back from them yet.

Again we like this car and if the dang CEL stayed off we wouldn't have any complaints whatsoever, the car has always run well. But we can't tell when the problem is serious or not, so taping over the light is not a viable option. I am also not willing to continuously reset the error codes.

I did talk with a guy at the Oregon Attorney Generals Consumer Division about what if any recourse I have in this situation. He said that we were way past the use of Lemon Laws, but that contact with the Federal Trade Commision was one of the avenues I should go. My plan next Thursday is to meet with the dealer service manager and start pushing this up the hill from their side and to get GM regional involved.

When we bought this car we were also looking at the VW Jetta TDI, not sure that would have gone any better, but we for sure didn't sign up for being guinea pigs in GM's development program.

I should note that this car is used daily to drive in to work about 25 miles each way with 20 of those miles being at steady 60+ mph, so the motor/exhaust should be getting warm enough to manage burning off the particulates. Early on they were claiming that in town driving was causing the problem, but that was never the case.
Earlier you brought up reading and being able to reset your codes... what codes were you getting?

From what little you disclosed it seems a little early to start talking "Attorney General" and law suits, that will only alienate the people who are trying to help and do you know for sure whether you are not doing something which is contributing to the problem... i.e. cheap low priced biodiesel or maybe you need to use a little of the GM approve diesel additive with the grade of diesel you are using? Also your car could have multiple problems which need to be worked out.

I have 63K miles on the clock now and did not have any sensor problems until 59K miles. Their are others that have gone over 200K miles without these issues... seems a little early to start talking legal action. For the most part my '15 Cruze has performed as one would expect with only the proper maintenance as described by the owners manual.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't intend to start any legal actions now. The point is trying to understand what if any position I have when I start the next round of discussions with the dealer and GM. If our car had gone 59,000 miles without any issues and the CEL on half the time I wouldn't be getting cranky, but we are only at 37,000 and have had to deal with multiple trips to the dealer. I would also have a whole different sense for this if there weren't so many others with similar problems.

When we see the dealer I will ask them to print out all of the work orders they have done on this car.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts