1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
BFD. A Hennesy VR1200 CTS-V did over 220 mph over a year ago and it was sanctioned by the state of Texas and the Highway Patrol who monitored the run on the highway (closed course of course , so no endangering of the public). You can find the video on GM Authority.

·
Registered
639 Posts
BFD. A Hennesy VR1200 CTS-V did over 220 mph over a year ago and it was sanctioned by the state of Texas and the Highway Patrol who monitored the run on the highway (closed course of course , so no endangering of the public). You can find the video on GM Authority.
Wasn't that so they could test out new radar cameras? They did the SS, the Vette, and the CTS-V same day right?

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Wasn't that so they could test out new radar cameras? They did the SS, the Vette, and the CTS-V same day right?
Bingo

·
Registered
151 Posts
Top Speed is not much higher, but it gets there a lot quicker.
99.9% sure that the 1st video was not a drag/hp limited top speed.

But more of a "crap I just ran out of straight road and there is traffic coming that I can't swerve around at 190 mph, so I better slow it down before I kill myself" top speed.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
One unusual thing that both my Cruze and Supra have in common is that both speedometers top of at exactly 140 mph!

Have the strange feeling the speedometer in the Cruze is a bit over optimistic. Just read the Supra is governed for a 170 mph top speed, but the speedometer would be pegged long before reaching this speed.

Also read with 200+ mph vehicles, even with a 25 gallon full gas tank, would be empty in less than ten minutes. Think if I had a Corvette with a 200 mph speedometer, would be tempted.

What was nice was flying in a Piper Archer cruising along at a 160 mph at 300 feet AGL at least 500 feet to the right of the freeway. This was legal and could really shoot past cop cars without fear of getting a ticket. In Wisconsin, 20 mph over the limit will lose your driver's license for a year.

But flying along the side of I-90 to Chicago was the long way, if two strong guys were to go at each end and pull this road into a straight line, would knock a hundred miles off this trip. From the air, could see a zillion curves in the road. Wonder if they made it this way so congressman could buy land and constantly reroute it. No sense from viewing it from the air with all those worthless curves in it.

One thing I noticed about cars with a locking adjustable steering wheel, if you unlock it and pull back on the wheel, you don't go up. Just creep along at 5 mph if there is a huge traffic jam. And there always is, roads never kept up with the population growth.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
In Wisconsin, 20 mph over the limit will lose your driver's license for a year.
I learned this the hard way.... My buddy wanted a ride to work and on the way I got stuck behind someone going 40mph in a 55mph zone. Dropped the hammer down to safely get around them. As I was merging back into my lane a cop rolled by in the other lane, I looked down as was going 86mph. Needless to say he was not impressed with my passing maneuver & wanted to not only give me a ticket but lecture me, told him to go back to his car and write the **** ticket as it should be obvious I'm in a hurry to be someplace.

Really didn't mind the ticket as I was already going to be loosing my license over a half dozen other pending tickets. Besides the day before I crested a hill at 110mph and passed a cop going the other way. Needless to say I kept the hammer down and never seen that one again, couldn't even tell you if he turned around & I'm not sure he did since it was nearing shift change.

Ah the joys of being young and dumb with way to much time on your hands. Lessons learned, your luck will always run out and doesn't matter how much of a hurry your in cops will always make time for you.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, wife is getting tired of me of saying, oh boy, there is a cop ahead there to protect us. Don't you feel safe?

Like heck, there to nail you to the wall for even going 1 mph over the limit. Our town more than tripled the size of our police department since 9/11 with nothing else to do except issue traffic violations. You not only have to stop at a stop sign, good idea to be parked there for at least a few seconds. Or will get a ticket.

Got so bad, city had to elect a judge to handle all these new fines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts