Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 1989 Caravan. Factory 2.5 turbo with a 5 speed manual. If that wasn't rare enough it also has the factory convert a bed option in it.

It's fun but recently due to my negligence I blew the head gasket and will be pulling the head soon.

I'm going to ditch the tiny Mitsubishi turbo and install something a little bigger.

I have already socketed the SMEC and am running the Ostrich to tune it.

When I got it the 5 speed had issues so I had to tear it apart. While I was in there I put a Quaife LSD in it.

Intercooler is on my short list after I get the head gasket / turbo done.

Here's a few pics from when I bought it a few months ago.

It's fun and talk about a surprise to others when getting on the freeway.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More

Attachments

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That’s super cool! Those things are rare as hen’s teeth.
Yeah I've been looking for this exact thing with NO rust for a long, long time.

I never even knew about the bed option until I found this van. I have never seen nor heard of it up until then.

Believe it or not I use that bed. I have shifted to grave yard at work for a while and when my sleep schedule gets all messed up I will catch a nap on it during lunch.

It's really comfortable and big enough for me to stretch out on.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I picked it up I have moved the gauges, added factory tint quarter windows *back glass to be done soon*, socketed the SMEC and am tuning it *that's how I blew the head gasket FACEPALM*, rebuilt the A555 trans and added the Quaife *WOW*, fixed ALL kinds of other small issues throughout.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wife don't get it. She has no idea why I am infatuated with the thing. LOL I do understand.

I had a 2nd gen CTS-V and got rid of it just a month before getting the van.

She's like WUT THE F***????

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nice find, the clean 5-speeds have always been hard to come by but especially at the age they're getting to.

I had a slushbox for a number of years with some minor modifications (exhaust, manual boost controller and a Chrysler Turbo II (TII) intercooler) that I'd take to drag strip pretty often. Overall pretty slow compared to a lot of newer cars but fun and cheap to play around with.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Sweet!

A buddy of mine had a nutty one as well. I don't remember if it was a factory turbo engine or not, or if it came out of an Omni and went into the thing, but I recall it ran a 13.7 before he replaced the heavily-slipping clutch.

Fun as **** van!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppLu5tlzQcA

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If that picture is his van then it was definitely not factory turbocharged. 1989 and 1990 are the only two years and both those are 1st gen Caravans. The image is 2nd gen.

Swaps are popular and fairly easy in both generations.

They're a blast.

EDIT: watched the video rofl. Unfortunately LSD was never an option and one wheel burn outs is a quick way to send the spider gear pin through the transaxle case.

Mine had a bad trans when I got it. The counter shaft had heavy pitting on one surface and the spider gear / pin was SHOT. It was ready to blow out the case.

I found a good used counter shaft and ordered a Quaife to replace the open differential. WOW what a difference the LSD made! Bad part is that LSD cost almost as much as the whole van did however if I ever decide to sell it and can't get what I want I can get damned near most if not all of my cost of that LSD back as they're hard to get and will probably be discontinued soon leaving zero options.

Sweet!

A buddy of mine had a nutty one as well. I don't remember if it was a factory turbo engine or not, or if it came out of an Omni and went into the thing, but I recall it ran a 13.7 before he replaced the heavily-slipping clutch.

Fun as **** van!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppLu5tlzQcA

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
I think he ended up throwing a posi in it. He was working on a crazy twin-turbo setup for it for a while (small into big, multiple intakes, etc), but I think he ended up losing interest in the car, and no longer had time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 1990 Voyager with the 2.5 turbo, I wish I had the manual, but this one is an auto. I rebuilt the engine along with a new turbo and she purrs now, I am going to do a few upgrades, but I just bought a 2018 Cruze LS so that I can concentrate on working on my Voyager and not having to drive it back and forth to work.

I see that yours has the infinity radio, do all of your speakers work? I have had to do some re-soldering of the amps that are on each speaker, and now the radio itself seems to have a bad connection, have to flick it every now and then when the display goes out.

voyager.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 1990 with the turbo 5 speed, I’m just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some tubing software. Thanks!!!

hed the video rofl. LSD was never an option and one wheel burn outs is a quick way to send the spider gear pin through the transaxle case.

Mine had a bad trans when I got it. The counter shaft had heavy pitting on one surface and the spider gear / pin was SHOT. It was ready to blow out the case.

I found a good used counter shaft and ordered a Quaife to replace the open differential. WOW what a difference the LSD made! Bad part is that LSD cost almost as much as the whole van did however if I ever decide to sell it and can't get what I want I can get damned near most if not all of my cost of that LSD back as they're hard to get and will probably be discontinued soon leaving zero options.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
89 Posts
There was an old lady that had one around me... she smoked a lot of civics and 5.0 mustangs... ah... memories...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would look into mega squirt, greddy emanage, haltech, or an standalone wifi system depending on how crazy your going... or... you might want to swing over to moates.com you may be able to use their stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts