Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1st attempt at dip, and failed.

9408 Views 32 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Merc6
It was cool till I effed up on the glossifier. I'll prabaly just try another color as well. At that point I will also do the wheel and possibly the bow tie.

Sent from my iFail 5s
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Resident Forum Drunkard
8,257 Posts
It would be prudent to remove the trim pieces Juliet !

10,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks really good from what I can see!

I want to do mine. Did you remove all the trim or just tape everything off?
Remove them, reason it didn't just tape off the wheel and spray it on the car. That stuff travels everywhere. It was on my pants and shoes.

Sent from my iFail 5s

· Premium Member
2,270 Posts
LMAO yeah ok, good point guys, just doing the little stuff I've done on the outside of my car I cover practically the entire thing for overspray and still get some, so I can only imagine!

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts
Jukebox Juliet, I would not plasti-dip your LTZ dash trim as its already higher quality than the normal cruze. If you look closely at yours it sort of has golf ball like dimples all over it. All other cruze models just get painted grey plastic with no texture. Your gauges rings are also chrome not plain grey plastic like all other models(except LTZ and RS packaged cars).

· Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Jukebox Juliet, I would not plasti-dip your LTZ dash trim as its already higher quality than the normal cruze. If you look closely at yours it sort of has golf ball like dimples all over it. All other cruze models just get painted grey plastic with no texture. Your gauges rings are also chrome not plain grey plastic like all other models(except LTZ and RS packaged cars).
Yes, I've noticed the texture and the chrome. But the color is still boring :L
Quit trying to talk me out of it! :p

Kidding, I have a list of other Cruze projects to get to first, and then I'll be on the road for a month, so I have time to think about it ;)

10,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I thought about buying those LTZ Manual Bezels but they run like $250 USD Color make it stand out more.I kinda want to keep the chrome rings on the radio and vents but may dip the black in side the chrome circle vents. Also debated on the window switches but you kinda pull and yank on that constantly.

As for fail, fter I took Turtle Wax Ice interior detailer spray to it, the fuzzys came off most surfaces but the speed cluster.

In order of easy to hard to remove:

*Speed cluster bezel
*Door speaker rings
*Shifter bezel
*Radio bezel

· Registered
3,261 Posts
Took me a few years to plasti-dip my interior, was around 20 months that grey plastic got real old with me. Photo is a few months old, shifter is now grey again as is my steering wheel trim.
omfg that looks like the way the cruze shouldve came

· Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Took me a few years to plasti-dip my interior, was around 20 months that grey plastic got real old with me. Photo is a few months old, shifter is now grey again as is my steering wheel trim.

I like this a lot. Would it be better to plastidip or vinyl wrap? My bezels are already getting scratched. I want to cover them with something.

10,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like this a lot. Would it be better to plastidip or vinyl wrap? My bezels are already getting scratched. I want to cover them with something.
Reason I dipped. The black hidden under the silver stated to show.

Sent from my iFail 5s

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts

· Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Reason I dipped. The black hidden under the silver stated to show.
Exactly my problem, after only 3 months they are already getting scratched with black lines showing through. I don't know how because I have been very careful with my car. Has anyone ever asked to have them replaced under warranty? But I guess they would just get scratched again, so might as well dip or wrap.

10,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Exactly my problem, after only 3 months they are already getting scratched with black lines showing through. I don't know how because I have been very careful with my car. Has anyone ever asked to have them replaced under warranty? But I guess they would just get scratched again, so might as well dip or wrap.
I wish that was the case. I managed to scratch the silver on the wheel as well. I assume it was from me getting in and out and my belt hit it.

Think GM should offer different colors and patterns of these dash pisces, but to bad if they did they would be a rip off anyway. I liked using the plasti-dip so if I didn't like the finished product I could easily undo it.

I have to give props to APCruze as I used his invaluable information to remove my dash pieces.
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/161-...ring-wheel-speedometer-dashboard-shifter.html
Yeah I used it for the speaker rings. Taking the door panel off would have been over kill for those.

Sent from my iFail 5s

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.