Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else had any significant failures? Just had the waterpump let go dealer is currently replacing the timing belt and pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine appears to have a slow leak. Just about 3 years 32,000 miles. Do notice GM changed the timing belt interval to 3 years or, 96,000 miles
I'm trying to hold off on the timing belt for another year or... if the coolant drops below minimum again.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Haven't heard much about water pump issues on the diesel. My original water pump lasted 145K miles without issue before I had it and the timing belt replaced.

Did yours go all of a sudden, or just spring slow leak?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven't heard much about water pump issues on the diesel. My original water pump lasted 145K miles without issue before I had it and the timing belt replaced.

Did yours go all of a sudden, or just spring slow leak?
I started loosing coolant about a full tank to an oil change took it in and it was just spewing out according to the dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I just used my VW TDI Buyback $$ to pickup a super clean '14 CTD in Texas with 63K on the odometer. Drove 1,200 trouble-free miles to Arizona, 50.1 mpg on first tank...Awesome. Two days later, drove a couple miles to town and noticed coolant dripping/pooling under motor (NOT coming from radiator). No CEL or other warnings, just dripping orange coolant under car near the center of the transaxle. Popped hood and noticed light smoke around the oil fill cap. I'm still very new to this car but I speculate the "smoke" was actually coolant dripping on the hot motor or exhaust leading to steam collecting under the plastic engine cover and venting at the oil fill cap opening.

Took it to Chevy dealer, it's a water pump. Good news, it's covered under powertrain warranty. Bad news, the job calls for timing belt and idler pulley replacement. Parts guy says there are NO timing belts anywhere. Now on Day 4 without the car.

Just wanted to keep folks posted in case anyone is looking into doing a timing belt...make sure you have the belt before you start the job or take it to the dealer. Will update when I hear back from the dealer on the timing belt issue.

Also a shout-out to Diesel and several others who tested/verified the Buick Verano donut spare. Definitely need that spare as I travel through miles of desert with no cell service. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I just used my VW TDI Buyback $$ to pickup a super clean '14 CTD in Texas with 63K on the odometer. Drove 1,200 trouble-free miles to Arizona, 50.1 mpg on first tank...Awesome. Two days later, drove a couple miles to town and noticed coolant dripping/pooling under motor (NOT coming from radiator). No CEL or other warnings, just dripping orange coolant under car near the center of the transaxle. Popped hood and noticed light smoke around the oil fill cap. I'm still very new to this car but I speculate the "smoke" was actually coolant dripping on the hot motor or exhaust leading to steam collecting under the plastic engine cover and venting at the oil fill cap opening.

Took it to Chevy dealer, it's a water pump. Good news, it's covered under powertrain warranty. Bad news, the job calls for timing belt and idler pulley replacement. Parts guy says there are NO timing belts anywhere. Now on Day 4 without the car.

Just wanted to keep folks posted in case anyone is looking into doing a timing belt...make sure you have the belt before you start the job or take it to the dealer. Will update when I hear back from the dealer on the timing belt issue.

Also a shout-out to Diesel and several others who tested/verified the Buick Verano donut spare. Definitely need that spare as I travel through miles of desert with no cell service. Thanks!!
Do they have you in a loaner?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Parts guy says there are NO timing belts anywhere.
Odd. I forget what it's called, but the dealer may need to make it known that the part is needed for repair and not just for stock. For parts that are scarce, they will be on something like "back order", but if the dealer calls GM and opens a case with them, they can get the part immediately. The dealer may not have opened a case with GM since the techs know what's wrong and don't need the technical support.

This practice is to prevent parts from being used to build inventory instead of going into customer's cars. But if the dealer's parts guy isn't aware of it - it becomes a problem. Since the Cruze diesel was such a small production run, owners tend to encounter this more often.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
UPDATE: Service writer called, no timing belts available. She said they found TWO Dealer's in the US that have the timing belt but they won't let go of them. I inquired about a loaner car and was told loaners are not furnished under powertrain warranty service.

At this point I feel like I need to call GM corporate and find a customer advocate to help intervene. Not fair that other dealer can hold a part when a customer elsewhere needs it now. If anyone knows how t escalate with GM, I'd really appreciate it.

I'll continue to update with progress so others can know what to expect with a water pump failure or timing belt change. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
We have a Chevy Customer Care account that you can PM. They were fantastic in helping me with my service issues. PM them and let them know what is going on. They should be able to help you out.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
We have a customer service representative here on the site, I would recommend you reach out to them. Normal timing belt replacement requires water pump replacement and with other items you mentioned, my guess is due to your water pump leaking it compromised the timing belt. You should have the next hundred thousand miles without needing timing belt replaced again.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Hang in there rivergoer, this not a common problem that I aware of. Seems like some of those that have purchased a preowned ctd for some silly reason they can have issues. I would respectfully ask when you get to GM customer care for GM to cover the timing belt replacement as well, if the power train warranty covers water pump, and the leak caused further damage to timing belt, etc, why isn't that covered as well? Might be a long shot but never hurts to ask? I would also share your new to the ctd but came from a tdi ownership. You should love the car once you get it back. Also ask customer care to assist in providing a loaner. Good luck to you.

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Thank you for the tips about this forum having a Customer Care Rep. Via PM, I provided VIN and contact info to Chevy Customer Care. Issues have been documented and case number assigned. Hoping to get another update tomorrow.

The timing belt inventory situation seems to be legit. I took the additional step to contact a California Chevy dealer I used for 30 years (before retiring to Arizona). Without saying anything about my current situation, I asked the parts guy there to find me a CTD timing belt. I got the same story as my local Arizona Chevy dealer, nothing available from Chevrolet and only 2 US dealers with the part in stock (and neither will release their part).

KpaxFAQ, if that original GM timing belt IS available online please share, I'd really like to get my CTD back. Even with the water pump and parts issue, I'm WAY more impressed with this car than my 09 Jetta TDI (and I really loved that car).

As for the timing belt warranty coverage, my understanding from the service manager is it's covered as part of the water pump replacement. According to the diesel technician, when the water pump goes, coolant contamination can/will reduce timing belt longevity. So, we'll see if it really IS covered when the paperwork is done.

They only have one loaner car at my local dealer (very small town) so getting a loaner for an indefinite time isn't looking good. Sigh, meanwhile I'm driving my Dodge Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 Dually Diesel back and forth to California...ouch!

A final note to the Moderators, please forgive me if my posts are in any way off-topic or not in keeping with decorum. Thanks for providing this Forum, it's been a WEALTH of knowledge!
:th_salute:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Rivergoer-

The timing belt is on Rockauto.com for $52 and is part number 55580776.. In the part description it gives part numbers for the pulley and the pump.

Maybe there's something required for this job that's on backorder, but why can an independent seller have the belts listed, yet GM has no belts?

Makes no sense..

I just checked all the part numbers listed in the belt description to be replaced with Rockauto part numbers. Everything is in stock with AcDelco Parts.

I wouldn't want to pay out of pocket and hope to get reimbursed, but is this more a problem with the dealer finding a qualified tech to tear into the 2.0 CTD?

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Thanks for all the support, very impressed with the CruzeTalk community. I did get a chance to speak at length with the Chevy Diesel Tech. He honestly admitted there's only 1 Cruze diesel in town and he's never had to do anything to it other than regular services. He also said while there have been dozens of Cruze GAS models come through the dealership with failed water pumps, he's never heard of the Cruze DIESEL having a water pump issue. With 12 years working on Chevy/GM diesel trucks (we are a BIG truck town) I'm confident in his knowledge and skill. He is the one who insisted the water pump failure REQUIRES a timing belt replacement, even when I proposed skipping the belt and doing just the pump. A coolant-tainted timing belt he explained can fail prematurely and that would be catastrophic for the motor.

I'll PM the timing belt availability info to the Chevy Customer Care rep today and hope for progress. Again, thanks all for the great info and support. :th_dblthumb2:

Reactions: starspangled6.0

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Just checked with MS3DALE and there are only two dealerships in the country that have a timing belt. This kind of stinks that one would have to be out of a vehicle on an item that is considered routine maintenance. GM should have a stock of them. Not like they cost all that much and take up a ton of room on a shelf.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Thanks for all the support, very impressed with the CruzeTalk community. I did get a chance to speak at length with the Chevy Diesel Tech. He honestly admitted there's only 1 Cruze diesel in town and he's never had to do anything to it other than regular services. He also said while there have been dozens of Cruze GAS models come through the dealership with failed water pumps, he's never heard of the Cruze DIESEL having a water pump issue. With 12 years working on Chevy/GM diesel trucks (we are a BIG truck town) I'm confident in his knowledge and skill. He is the one who insisted the water pump failure REQUIRES a timing belt replacement, even when I proposed skipping the belt and doing just the pump. A coolant-tainted timing belt he explained can fail prematurely and that would be catastrophic for the motor.

I'll PM the timing belt availability info to the Chevy Customer Care rep today and hope for progress. Again, thanks all for the great info and support. :th_dblthumb2:
I missed your post yesterday, but looks like others have helped you get on the right track. GM TAC (Technical Assistance Center) is what the division is called that can potentially release the timing belt. Sounds like it's a good thing I already had mine replaced at 145K miles. At that time there was no issue getting one ordered by the dealership. Good luck to you on this, and thanks for all your detailed updates and posts. :)

Reactions: IndyDiesel
1 - 20 of 49 Posts