Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Cruze turbo diesel
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone,
Getting ready to do rear brakes on a 2014 Cruze diesel (Canadian). I have not worked on rear brakes myself on this car (have not pulled them yet, parking brake is working on this), lot of experience working on other cars.
couple of questions please,

1. rear brake pistons, screw in piston style? screw in clockwise or counter-clockwise?
2. ordering new rotors and pads, shows as 292mm diameter (11.5 inches). Correct?

thanks in advance!
Dale

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,057 Posts
292mm rear rotor diameter is correct. 300mm is front. (268/276mm rotors are for the Gas Cruze.) Many of the parts catalogs are going to note the rotors as being for "15 inch wheel" or "16 inch wheel." Completely ignore that, since no Cruze comes with a 15" wheel, models with both brake packages use a 17" wheel, and the 18" wheel actually uses the smaller rotor. Usually the "15 inch wheel" rotors are for the gas, and the "16 inch wheel" models are for the Diesel, but it's not reliable.

You will need pressure and rotation to turn back the piston, so the little dice-shaped tool on the end of a socket won't do it. It will have to be the actual screw-driven brake tool you can rent at auto parts stores or buy at Harbor Freight.

Since parts catalogs are really bad on properly identifying brake parts for the Cruze between the gas and Diesel, so 2 other ways to double check you're getting the right rotors are:

1. If the rotor is also listed as a fit for the Buick Verano, you have the right one.
2. If the bolt pattern of the rotor is 5x115, it fits the Diesel. (If it has a 5x105 bolt pattern, it is the rotor for the gas Cruze.)

·
Registered
2014 Cruze turbo diesel
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help.
Canadian Tire here in Canada has a tool loaner program but I ordered the 8mile tool kit from amazon, should be here today. Years ago I had a Mini Cooper S that had rear pistons that needed to be screwed in with pressure, bmw Canada would not even sell the tool needed and kits at the time did not come with bmw/mini adaptors, had to screw them in with needle nose pliers (what a huge pain in the a$%!)
ordered a brake kit with 292mm rotors and pads, fingers crossed they send the correct parts

will update when I tackle this,
cheers
Dale

·
Registered
2014 Cruze turbo diesel
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked that brakes I ordered are supposed to fit 2014 Buick Verano

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,845 Posts
Just checked that brakes I ordered are supposed to fit 2014 Buick Verano
Welcome Aboard!(y)

This is the front brake tutorial for a Gen I :How-To: Replace Front Brake Pads & Rotors Could you follow along and possibly create one for the rear disk brakes. I have also included the How to to adjust the drum brakes tutorial as a possible template for doing the same on the rear disks.

How-To: Write a Tutorial
How to Adjust Rear Drum Brakes

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,057 Posts
Welcome Aboard!(y)

These are for the gasser Cruzes, but I imagine it will be very similar. If you could, as you go through the brake change, read these and note any differences so we can update it for the diesel.

DIY how to replace brake pads
How to Adjust Rear Drum Brakes

or write your own:

How-To: Write a Tutorial

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.
The front procedure is identical for the Diesel. We just have different part numbers. If a more extensive repair were being done, even our steering knuckles, calipers, and caliper brackets use a different part number, but it's all the same design, just with different geometry. Changing the rotor in the above procedure would just involve removing the other guide pin, taking 2 bolts off the caliper bracket, and removing the mounting screw on the rotor, then reverse for reinstallation.

We have 4-wheel discs on the Diesel, so if there's a How To on the rear disc brakes from the RS and LTZ gassers, the procedure would match with ours, just with different part numbers due to brake geometry again. The drum brakes are on the LS, and Eco. LT is a mix of discs and drums, depending on which LT trim level, model year, and option packages.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,845 Posts
The front procedure is identical for the Diesel. We just have different part numbers. If a more extensive repair were being done, even our steering knuckles, calipers, and caliper brackets use a different part number, but it's all the same design, just with different geometry. Changing the rotor in the above procedure would just involve removing the other guide pin, taking 2 bolts off the caliper bracket, and removing the mounting screw on the rotor, then reverse for reinstallation.

We have 4-wheel discs on the Diesel, so if there's a How To on the rear disc brakes from the RS and LTZ gassers, the procedure would match with ours, just with different part numbers due to brake geometry again. The drum brakes are on the LS, and Eco. LT is a mix of discs and drums, depending on which LT trim level, model year, and option packages.
You are absolutely correct. I forgot the diesel is based on a 2LT trim package. I have updated my original response.

·
Registered
2014 Cruze turbo diesel
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If time permits I will take a bunch of photos and do a write up.
have a ton of other things on the plate, this is not a daily driver right now
Dale

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
the problem with most auto parts websites ( and this forum) is theres always confusion aboot what fits gassers and what fits diesels....it happens regularly on this forum when ppl dont realize what car is being talked aboot.

so go to a parts site that specializes in only the diesel cruze

they only sell diesel cruze parts, no gasser parts....

so you can buy from them and be sure it fits, or you can cross reference the info on the website and purchase elsewhere

·
Registered
2014 Cruze turbo diesel
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did the needle nose pliers with my mini cooper S in the past.
Don't ever want to do that again.
The 8MileLake brake kit from amazon.ca was $30.99 delivered.
Will be using that once brake rotors and pads arrive in the next few days.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I did the needle nose pliers with my mini cooper S in the past.
Don't ever want to do that again.
The 8MileLake brake kit from amazon.ca was $30.99 delivered.
Will be using that once brake rotors and pads arrive in the next few days.
the brake parts have arrived at my house ( im away at work camp), i live too far away from can tire or parts stores to do the loan a tool

i hate buying something ill only use one every 5yrs, even $31....it eats at me, lol

so i guess ill be swearing and doing it the caveman method in 3wks, lol

·
Registered
2014 Cruze turbo diesel
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
needlenose pliers will work, i don't have the patience anymore. I have a lot of tools over the years that see occasional use. This was 30.99 delivered to my door. It even included a set of mechanics gloves

1 - 17 of 17 Posts