Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,466 Posts
disregard above question, both sides are 'right hand thread'
I'm glad you posted that - I'll be doing our rear brakes this week or weekend. Right rear brake decided to probably go metal-to-metal one day into our 9 day vacation. :cautious:

·
Registered
2014 Cruze turbo diesel
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The rear brake job on the Cruze went very well. That tool kit I bought was worth every penny. Made life very easy.
Been on a 'brake' bender...
last week helped my neighbour with new brakes on his chev van, yesterday was new rear pads on my Ram 3500 dually, today a friend's Toyota Venza front brakes.

time for me to take a break...

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Sweet - I bought the type of tool kit shown in an image earlier in the thread, so that should be here when the pads and rotors are.

I do find brakes pretty relaxing to do - usually - but that might be a bit overkill! I did the fronts on the Cruze last October, then I did my brother's front brakes on his '01 Century about a month ago. I didn't do the brakes on his '01 Mustang when I upgraded all the suspension, but I did have to remove the front brakes (to get the control arm low enough to get the spring out, as well as to make my life a lot easier lining the spindle back up to the strut when reassembling), so I kind of did them in a way, haha.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
left rear has been metal on metal for aboot 3mos or 4000 miles

parts were late in the mail

then got them, but that caliper was sticking....and i was scared of wrecking that caliper during the effort of removing the stuck pin, so put her back together and went back to work for 3wks

came back, tried again this time with a new caliper from local parts store, was just gonna swap out the bracket part, but, didnt line up with the bolt holes...dunno if it was wrong part or wrong part in box, but took it back, put the old parts back on and went back to work for 3wks

im home in 3 days for a month, waiting for me is replacement caliper which i hope is wrong again, really dont think ill need it, ive figured out a way to remove the pin w/o wrecking it, and besides i ordered a spare pin from the web, so im finally expecting success

i hope

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
That's going to be the biggest thing - I'm not sure if the pins are stuck or not, or worse, if it's a hung piston. There's a consistent sound while driving, without being on the brakes - but if it's metal on metal, it could just be the backing plate riding on the rotor. Oddly, though, the outer pad looks fine for thickness...but the outer face of the RR rotor looks like absolute ****. The LR rotor outer face looks fine, and the outer pad on that side looks to be about the same thickness. I'm expecting it's the inner pad on the RR that's grinding though. The pics below are from about nine days ago, two days into vacation, and about a day after it starting making noise.

Driving home - about 250 miles - I felt the rear wheels when we stopped for diesel - the RR wheel was slightly warmer than the LR wheel, but that may very well have been just from the braking we had to do the last 10 or so miles, and especially the last mile. Metal to metal makes for some serious heat. If the piston was hung, I'm expecting the wheel would be realllly hot, so it might be okay.

Brakes should be here today, caliper piston tools here tomorrow, so I should be able to tackle them once those arrive...assuming nothing is impossibly stuck...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Unrelated to that...anybody have the torque specs for the rear brakes (for the caliper bracket to "knuckle", and caliper to bracket - I'm assuming there aren't any more?).

"Auto Repair Source" is listing torque specs the same as the front brake caliper bracket, requiring some decent torque values + angle (74 ft-lbs + 15-30 degrees), and then 21 ft-lbs for the pin bolts.

I'm just surprised the specs are as high as the front, given the caliper is much, much smaller.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Unrelated to that...anybody have the torque specs for the rear brakes (for the caliper bracket to "knuckle", and caliper to bracket - I'm assuming there aren't any more?).

"Auto Repair Source" is listing torque specs the same as the front brake caliper bracket, requiring some decent torque values + angle (74 ft-lbs + 15-30 degrees), and then 21 ft-lbs for the pin bolts.

I'm just surprised the specs are as high as the front, given the caliper is much, much smaller.
Here's what I got off Chilton's web site. It agrees with your numbers.

I take it the rears on the diesel are the same as the gas?

Doug

Front Brake Caliper Bracket Bolt (15 inch Brake System J67 and J93)
First Pass 100 N·m 74 lb ft
Final Pass 20 – 30 degrees

Front Brake Caliper Bracket Bolt (16 inch Brake System J60)
First Pass 150 N·m 111 lb ft
Final Pass 45 – 60 degrees

Front Brake Caliper Guide Pin Bolt 28 N·m 21 lb ft

Rear Brake Caliper Bracket Bolt
First Pass 100 N·m 74 lb ft
Final Pass 15°–30°

Rear Brake Caliper Guide Pin Bolt 28 N·m 21 lb ft

Vibration Dampener 9 N·m 80 lb in

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
I believe they are - based on what I saw on RockAuto, the calipers are the same, they just use a different pad on a larger rotor.

Reactions: plano-doug
21 - 29 of 29 Posts