Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a trip in my Cruze this past weekend - to a wedding in South Dakota. Total miles was about 2,300. Some comments on the car...

The mileage was OK but not fabulous. I did get 2 tank fulls above 36 going north with a tailwind (hand calculated). The same situation coming south into a headwind showed a little more than 34. That's running 74 mph on the interstate. The A/C was running all the time.

The OnStar driving directions worked out very well, even better than a stand alone navigation would have done. Interstate 29 is closed in a bunch of spots due to flooding and OnStar seemed to know about it. I was automatically directed to an appropriate detour around the flooded areas. One negative is that OnStar could not find the church where the wedding was being held in rural South Dakota. It couldn't find it by address or by name.

The car's seat can become uncomfortable. I had a gel pad seat cushion that helped a lot. The seat does provide enough adjustment positions so I could move around. The armrests in the door and console aren't in the right place for me.

I developed a few buzzes and ticks in the interior as the miles built up. That kind of stuff drives me crazy. Too bad because the car is solid otherwise. This is the biggest negative issue with the car. My dealer is pretty good about fixing squeaks but these sounds are intermittent and I doubt the dealer will be able to find them.

The tires wander quite a bit more than other vehicles on grooved pavement.

The Rostra cruise control worked perfectly. I couldn't have used the car for this kind of trip if I didn't have cruise control.

The combination of XM radio and mp3 capability gave me adequate entertainment, although the car needs a powered sub.

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Cruze 1.8 (soon to be 1.8t) LS... white
745 Posts
That's not too bad, pretty good actually. I've heard some rattling in my Cruze as well. I haven't even had it a month yet. Sounds like wiring behind the headliner on the passenger side. The 100º heat here doesn't help either, but nothing that really bothers me.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Mine makes sounds too. Sounds like wires bouncing around in the dash behind the glove box, only happens on really really bumpy roads though so it doesn't really bother me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The armrests in the door and console aren't in the right place for me.
How much of an annoyance was this to you? The armrests were the one thing that was bothering me about the car when I took it for a test drive. More so the middle armrest. My arm doesn't even hit it when I hold the wheel with my right arm. Even with the console pushed all the way up. It's the one thing that has been holding me back because I don't want to be uncomfortable on a long trip.

·
Registered
16 Posts
wow and I thought I drove a lot (2300 in my first month of ownership)! I took mine for long drives too, my mpg was lower due to not having cruise control and running the a/c the whole time. They didn't have any models in my price range with it so I will be adding it next year since most of my family lives out of state.

I agree with the middle arm rest, it's too short with it was longer. I didn't hear any noises from the car yet I wasn't driving on bumpy roads during my two out of town trips. Seats can get uncomfortable if not enough pit stops are made, yet these seats are way better than my old car and my dad's ford that we usually take to MN.

I haven't tried the Onstar navigation yet since the first two navigation downloads to my car failed. Kind of gave up trying after the first two wouldn't go through correctly. Hoping to test it out sometime soon just to see how it works in case I'd like to extend the service.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much of an annoyance was this to you? The armrests were the one thing that was bothering me about the car when I took it for a test drive. More so the middle armrest. My arm doesn't even hit it when I hold the wheel with my right arm. Even with the console pushed all the way up. It's the one thing that has been holding me back because I don't want to be uncomfortable on a long trip.
The center armrest isn't totally terrible when I move it all the way forward. I do run into a problem when it's moved forward that the parking brake handle hits the armrest before it can set the brake hard. I've had the car roll on me a couple of times when I pushed in the clutch to start the engine and wasn't paying attention to motion.

The armrest on the door is useless. I would like it better if this was a 2 door car. The center post kind of blocks my vision looking left and the armrest doesn't come back far enough. I'm 6'3" so maybe this isn't a problem for normal size people.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm just the opposite... too short for the center armrest! Does it at least lock into place in the forward position? I remember reading something about how that might be a change for the 2012 model.

·
Registered
90 Posts
wow and I thought I drove a lot (2300 in my first month of ownership)! I took mine for long drives too, my mpg was lower due to not having cruise control and running the a/c the whole time.
While A/C will kill mileage, cruise can too. Cruise helps if you have lots of flat roads, on hills, cruise tends to push it to the floorboard to compensate for the incline. Around here, I only use cruise on the really flat roads.

·
Registered
556 Posts
36mpg at 74mph and the a/c on and you aren't happy???

That is pretty dang good if you ask me.....the sweet spot for mpg on this car is around 55mph....you were way over that and still able to hit the average ratings for the car!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
As far as the armrest on the center console, are you aware you can adjust it to move forward?
Yeah, I know it moves forward. My arm still doesn't reach it when holding the wheel with my right arm. If I'm not holding the wheel, it's fine.

Anyone know if it locks into the forward position on the 2012 model?

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Cruze 1.8 (soon to be 1.8t) LS... white
745 Posts
36mpg at 74mph and the a/c on and you aren't happy???

That is pretty dang good if you ask me.....the sweet spot for mpg on this car is around 55mph....you were way over that and still able to hit the average ratings for the car!!

That's what my initial thoughts were. That's pretty darn good if you ask me.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess it's not too bad. I've owned 2 Honda Civic SI's - one a 2006, the other a 2000. Both got a little better mileage than my new Cruze in local driving and those cars were both much higher performance. I generally get a little better mileage than the EPA sticker because I drive so easy. I was hoping for a little more. I never took the Hondas on long highway trips under the same hot weather conditions so maybe those cars would have done worse than the Cruze. I'll never know for sure. I only got 34 mpg on the way home (780 miles in one day) but there were some headwinds that day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts