Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
They must be hard up to sell Cruzes around here. Bought my '14 2LT Everything except Nav. i believe, 12k miles on it for $14,9 before trade in (sticker was 26,005 New)
Well I live in MI where if you don't buy big 3 you're shunned, so big 3 cars tend to move pretty well. If I could of found an ECO at that mileage and price I would of bought. Although my sticker was like 21,700(I think) after all discounts was like 17,200. Most used ECO's were around 16k lol.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
"Offer valid on the oldest 15% of inventory as of 12/16/14." Sounds like a loss leader tactic to me. If said dealership has 30 Cruzen in stock, there's only 4 qualified for this offer. If you don't like those, we have a couple dozen more you can chose from (at a completely different pricing scheme)
It's just another way to clear out old inventory. Chevrolet is offering higher incentives on older stock models vs. newer stock models. This sort of thing happens every year around leftover time and dealer inventories will always vary. Some dealers stock a lot of cars, some few, some will have more leftovers than others, etc. etc.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Financially Smarter decision would be buying a year or two old car, still under warranty. typically a returned lease. in just as good of shape as new, with all of the initial depreciation payed by someone else.
Financially speaking, I agree. GM's CPO program, at least on paper (no deductible, free scheduled maintenance, etc.), seem pretty good too. A year old Cruze 1LT can often be had for around $13k-$14k compared to at least $16,600 for a brand new one for 20% off.

Buying brand new is still more appealing, and worth the extra money, to many though.

·
10,711 Posts
Dealer where I posted the Cruze have lots of vehicles on the lot.

"u" in Isuzu is usually where that car and the Cruze line sits. Back to back.

Near the 3 o'clock position of the pic is probably the 2014 Rwd manual ATS 2.0T that also hasn't moved in months.

Font Technology Condominium Urban design Residential area

·
Registered
660 Posts
Also buying a leased vehicle? That's a great idea......said no one ever. Do you know how the majority of people treat lease vehicles? Like they don't give a sh*t about them. No thanks.

·
10,711 Posts
Also buying a leased vehicle? That's a great idea......said no one ever. Do you know how the majority of people treat lease vehicles? Like they don't give a sh*t about them. No thanks.
Leased is still kinda better than loaner/rental. it's the same person beating on it but held to a higher responsibility to at least be able to make it drive back and not be in visibly bad shape. Only major thing I would worry on a lease is if it were ran dexos 1 down to 0%

·
Registered
660 Posts
Leased is still kinda better than loaner/rental. it's the same person beating on it but held to a higher responsibility to at least be able to make it drive back and not be in visibly bad shape. Only major thing I would worry on a lease is if it were ran dexos 1 down to 0%
Also how the clutch was treated, if the engine was driven hard while cold. There's alot of small factors that just cost you money down the road. I'm very particular about who I buy my vehicles from. Last car I had was form an old couple that put 38k on it in 10 years then sold it back to the dealer they bought it from. Dealer maintained, drove like brand new. Car was great. Put 40k on it in 2 years, sold it and made money on it lol.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you say so. i know people who take good care of their leases, the better shape theyre in, the better chance you will come out on top. bought my last Cobalt as a 2 year old returned lease with 24,582 on it. traded it in with 218K, never had any major issue with the car. only time it was ever in a shop was for the recalls. still on the stock clutch

·
Registered
148 Posts
like i said above, if youre that worried about it, buy new. cold start? this isn't the 70's man, you dont need to warm anything up. i never do, and havent had any issues. i start it and wait for the oil pressure to come up, by then the RPMs are settling and i go.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I disagree that the majority of people treat their lease vehicles like they don't care. Most people want to make sure their car remains reliable, nice looking, etc. during their term of use and want to avoid being charged for repairs at lease end. Sure, there are always some that don't treat their cars well but that's going to be the case whether it's a leased car or a financed/purchased car.

Lease returns are inspected for visible external (including tires) and internal damage as well as any apparent mechanical/engine/transmission issues. The inspections are typically much more thorough than a dealership trade-in appraisal.

Buying any used car is a risk but I don’t think lease returns are necessarily any worse than customer trade-ins or FSBOs.

·
Registered
660 Posts
like i said above, if youre that worried about it, buy new. cold start? this isn't the 70's man, you dont need to warm anything up. i never do, and havent had any issues. i start it and wait for the oil pressure to come up, by then the RPMs are settling and i go.
Not cold start, that's fine. It's driving it hard while cold. I've ridden with many people any they take off and rev to 5k after the engine's been running for like 20 seconds total. I know a few seconds after starting the engine it's good go, but it's not healthy to rev the piss out of a cold engine.

I disagree that the majority of people treat their lease vehicles like they don't care. Most people want to make sure their car remains reliable, nice looking, etc. during their term of use and want to avoid being charged for repairs at lease end. Sure, there are always some that don't treat their cars well but that's going to be the case whether it's a leased car or a financed/purchased car.

Lease returns are inspected for visible external (including tires) and internal damage as well as any apparent mechanical/engine/transmission issues. The inspections are typically much more thorough than a dealership trade-in appraisal.

Buying any used car is a risk but I don’t think lease returns are necessarily any worse than customer trade-ins or FSBOs.
I guess I've just seen too many people who treat their leases like complete crap and not like you guys are saying. I'm also just super particular when it comes to certain things haha.

·
Registered
206 Posts
This isn't such an unusual discount. If you really want a bargain, look for leftover 2013's (there are some scattered around). After a vehicle has been unsold for this long, it becomes price competitive with used cars, but you still have the warranty of a new one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just bought two 2014 cruze LTZ models 11 days ago, and got 2500 off on each, plus 750 USAA discount, credit union member supplier pricing, and an extra 1000 over trade in allowance on both vehicles. This deal still would have been nice though, would have saved me an additional 500-1000 combined probably.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Drove through my nearest Honda and Toyota dealers last night. ha, maybe because my check engine light was on. Literally saw hundreds of new cars for sale at each one.

So how come they are not having a huge sale? Just pushing reduced interest charges.

RV dealers are really overloaded with camping trailers, getting to the point where they are going to have to start stacking these things. And nothing a Cruze could pull, but suppose a guy could mount a pup tent on a light utility trailer.

But then what camping trailer parks are charging a day, darn near cheaper to stay in a motel. Those 5th wheelers would need at least a Silverado 3500 to pull them. But yet these RV dealers are getting more and more camping trailers.

·
Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,232 Posts
Drove through my nearest Honda and Toyota dealers last night. ha, maybe because my check engine light was on. Literally saw hundreds of new cars for sale at each one.

So how come they are not having a huge sale? Just pushing reduced interest charges.
Because the OEM manufacturers you cited, along with Subaru, Volkwagen and a few others, don't wish to trash the residual and resale value of their vehicles. While a GM Chevrolet fire sale on certain models is good news in the short term for those wishing to put a new Cruze, Malibu or Equinox in their driveway, it's terrible news for those people who purchased those very same vehicles earlier at higher transaction prices and also for those parties who might wish to sell or trade the same.

GM's travelled down this road before and things ended badly. Just my 'Economics 101' lay observation.

Reactions: Dvan5693

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

Honda (Happy Honda Days) and Toyota (Toyotathon) are having "huge sales" and they're not just pushing reduced interest charges. Honda, especially, and Toyota tend to use dealer cash incentives more than in your face customer rebates.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,794 Posts
Toyota puts quite a bit on the hood these days. I think they knocked out Camry down $4500-5000 off the sticker, can't remember the exact #.

Honda dealers have always been a little more difficult to bargain with. They wouldn't come down much on a 2011 Civic I looked at a few years ago, even though the 12s were in (ew).

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Toyota puts quite a bit on the hood these days. I think they knocked out Camry down $4500-5000 off the sticker, can't remember the exact #.

Honda dealers have always been a little more difficult to bargain with. They wouldn't come down much on a 2011 Civic I looked at a few years ago, even though the 12s were in (ew).
I ordered Black Betty for $22,600 off of an MSRP of $24,755. No haggle. I offered $22,700,said I could get it for less at the other Toledo Honda dealership and the salesman countered with $22,600. I was happy and the dealership made some money too.

Second the EWWW on the '12s. My '97 EX was nicer inside. Decided not to buy a '12. The '13s are so much different and better, it's like generation 9.5.

Reactions: jblackburn
21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.