Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Cruze premier and I found a set of 20 inch rims for sale second hand. I’m wondering if 20s have a negative side to them given the size? I realize the tires are a much lower profile. Just wondering if my handling will be compromised with the bigger rims? Or if there is any other downside to them. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,210 Posts
Anything bigger than what is needed to clear the brake calipers is a waste of money.
Not really - at least to a point. 18s are usually right around the sweet spot - the idea sidewall for a noticeable performance increase over a 17" wheel - and especially a 16" wheel, but without destroying the ride like anything larger would do.

Case in point: my '81 Z28 has 15" N90 wheels. These clear the calipers. They also have a 70-series sidewall. A larger wheel with a much shorter, stiffer sidewall (which would retain the same overall diameter) will handle much better. Likewise with my Cobalt - going from a 195/60R15 to a 225/40R18 is an entirely different world.

Reactions: iCRUZEBC

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
4,452 Posts
Likewise with my Cobalt - going from a 195/60R15 to a 225/40R18 is an entirely different world.
I did this to mine. My Cobalt had adjustable Koni shocks and struts, lowering spring, and upgraded front and rear stabilizer bars, so the handling was Great; But it ate up brakes like a mother ******.

·
Registered
165 Posts
depending on where you live... easier to damage rims and tires when the tires are really narrow... for instance. no good in dc. But yes it makes for awesome handling just watch the pot holes.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yeah 20s are basically going to all be cons. Buuuut if that's the look you're after, ya gotta make that sacrifice B-) And get wheel and tire insurance because you're gonna be repairing wheels and tires every few months haha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts