Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I live in probably the hottest area of the United States where it will be over 100 degrees every day for the next few months with most nights hovering around 100 degrees. It can reach 120 + which is brutal. Last week I read over 1000 people in India were dead due to a heat wave, this week its 2000 and rising. How is your weather? And I thought Miami sucked?
India heat wave tests water supply as deaths near 2,000 - Al Jazeera English

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Rain for the last couple of days, rained most of today, frost warnings for tonight, in Central Wisconsin.

How are things in Houston?

·
Administrator
25,107 Posts
As far as I can tell this is only news because it's a lack of water vs. water borne disease killing them. With nearly 1.5 Billion people I'm sure that more than 2,000 people die every day in India.

·
Administrator
15,623 Posts
As far as I can tell this is only news because it's a lack of water vs. water borne disease killing them. With nearly 1.5 Billion people I'm sure that more than 2,000 people die every day in India.
Perspective changes everything.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
Yeah that is why I prefer the staggered aproach .
Less stress .

​GO Hawks !!!!

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well yes if you are basing your comment on my Al Jazerra story. The real story is they are in the middle of a record heat wave, no electric power, many of the people live in sub standard housing and are homeless. The asphalt is melting , 24 hour power outages and infrastructure problems. I first read about it when only 1000 were dead last week. The water story isn't the reason why they all died?
More than 1,800 killed as Deadly Heat Wave Persists Across India

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
Hey Eddy don't ya think that India has a problem with ahh storing water and ahh a sewage problem that may or may not be addressed by the populace as a whole .. there is no infrastucture there for proper utilities to exist .. even the Romans figured that out .

And they want to sell us stuff . all we'll get is yuck and more yuck ..yuckity yuck yuck .

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Sister owns a house near Orlando, and another one in southern Wisconsin, so spends summers up here and winters down there, in case you are looking for solutions.

Was stuck down there for six years, no AC back then, just drank plenty of water and took salt tablets. Managed to survive. Was down in Miami recently, rare to see people on the street, jumping from one AC place to another.

Also culture, seems like in my culture people are concerned about bringing another child into this world, women are expected to give birth during their coffee break, and affordable health care even made it worse, super high deductibles, and add to your premiums for each kid born. College tuition has literally skyrocketed as well. In the 10% tax bracket pay 93 cents per day in taxes to raise that child.

But certainly not the case with other cultures in the world and even here. Having kids like crazy with no means to support them.

·
Administrator
25,107 Posts
Well yes if you are basing your comment on my Al Jazerra story. The real story is they are in the middle of a record heat wave, no electric power, many of the people live in sub standard housing and are homeless. The asphalt is melting , 24 hour power outages and infrastructure problems. I first read about it when only 1000 were dead last week. The water story isn't the reason why they all died?
More than 1,800 killed as Deadly Heat Wave Persists Across India
So is California. You don't read about thousands dying in California. The reason is simple, unlike India, the US rewards problem solving. India is still very caste based and members of a caste have almost zero chance of improving their status. Where were you when, over the past couple of years, news reports of women in India being punished and killed because they were gang raped by men of a higher caste? India has major problems, and this heat wave isn't even at the top of the list. All this heat wave is doing is temporarily slowing their population growth. Their major problem is a culture that doesn't reward hard work and creativity.

As for the so-called death toll from this heat wave, it still is less than 1/10,000th of a percent of the population. More people die in India every day than this, even without a heat wave. I wonder what the propaganda reason for these "news" stories really is.

·
Administrator
25,107 Posts
<Moderator Hat On>

I just realized this thread has moved into the R&P realm, so I moved the thread itself.

</Moderator Hat Off>

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
If it bleeds it leads . we've seen way more horrendous acts of violence with in this last decade then ever before because there are motion capture technologies every where and the fanatics love to impose psychological warfare upon the populaces to create fear .

Take inglewood for an example , over the last week there were 12 murders to the peoples that live there . even a child can be haŕmed from these acts of violence portrayed by the at risk youths and adults ..
I have heard claims that we need more jobs that allow this populace to gain a sence of self worth , well yeah .. this alone will never overcome that instict to murder others . criminals just like being criminals .

48 degrees and rain ..

·
Registered
379 Posts
About every 10-15 years, the Pacific Northwest gets hit with a heatwave and people die. It happens here too.

When you compare those heatwaves to a city like Houston, which is every bit as humid and gets more rainfall than Seattle, it can be a little difficult to understand. 103°? Houstonians can do that standing on their head in 99% humidity. Difference is that if you live in Houston, your house is built with 100°/99% humidity in mind. A 1500 sq-ft house is going to have a 3.5-4 ton HVAC unit. Some in Seattle don't even have A/C. I'm sure the lower castes in India don't have A/C either.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
How many died from the Stink of other people unwilling to use deodorant in hot weather?

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
eddy, where do you live in Mojave?
Exactly where California, Arizona & Nevada all meet. I have found some very insensitive posts in this thread. It has nothing to do with religion, politics, or water, had to do with heat, hot killer heat. One of our posters was expecting frost and mentioned how terrible Miami is, insane. Our mod writes in from pleasant Denver. Brian speaks about India wanting to sell us stuff. most of my medicine comes from India. And when the power goes out or the A/C breaks (and it does) there's very little difference between India's 115 and the 125 degrees here in the Mohave/Mojave. Sure I can turn on my water but its usually about 90 degrees in the summer. Anyone who thinks it is normal for 2000 or 3000 people to die in a heat wave must be suffering from heat stroke?:wub:

·
Administrator
25,107 Posts
Eddy, what I'm saying is that with a population of 1.5 BILLION, 2000 deaths are not even a statistical bump in the death rate. This is news only because someone wanted it to be news. The real statistic here is that if only 2000 people out of 1.5 Billion died, then the question becomes "why so few?" What has India found to defeat death. If we had 2,000 people die in California because of a heat wave, that would be significant - there are a lot fewer people to start with. What I'm saying is that the heat wave is not the cause of these deaths - they would have died anyway.

Numbers don't lie, but the media, regardless of who controls it, does and does for a simple reason - attention, which brings in money.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Eddy, what I'm saying is that with a population of 1.5 BILLION, 2000 deaths are not even a statistical bump in the death rate. This is news only because someone wanted it to be news. The real statistic here is that if only 2000 people out of 1.5 Billion died, then the question becomes "why so few?" What has India found to defeat death. If we had 2,000 people die in California because of a heat wave, that would be significant - there are a lot fewer people to start with. What I'm saying is that the heat wave is not the cause of these deaths - they would have died anyway.

Numbers don't lie, but the media, regardless of who controls it, does and does for a simple reason - attention, which brings in money.
Exactly....the media manipulating the populace by deciding what THEY want everyone to think is news...happens everywhere...not just here.

·
Administrator
25,107 Posts
As a way of putting this into perspective, 2000 dead in India due to a heat wave is the equivalent to 6 dead in Los Angelos. I used the 2013 population estimates for both - India @1,300 Million and LA @3.8 Million.

·
Premium Member
4,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As a way of putting this into perspective, 2000 dead in India due to a heat wave is the equivalent to 6 dead in Los Angelos. I used the 2013 population estimates for both - India @1,300 Million and LA @3.8 Million.
Los Angeles. How can you quantify death from a heat wave though. If we have 1/6 the population of India and you divide 2200 (the new death toll) by 1/6th that is way more than 6 people. I'm sure however this gives great solace to all the family members of the dead there in India. I wonder if we have any Indian CRUZE Talk members and how they feel . Perhaps some have died and we don't know?

Your India population figures seem awfully low?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts