Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle Car Gauge Speedometer Measuring instrument

Well, I finally did it! I’ve put over 200K miles on a 2014 diesel Chevy Cruze. Although it hasn’t been perfect, I will have to say it’s far exceeded what I ever expected of it. When I bought it, I never expected that I would keep it so long or put so many miles on it because I usually have a very short attention span for cars. I can safely say this has been my favorite car out of all the cars I’ve ever owned, and I’ve owned a lot of cars.

As per previous convention, this writeup will describe my experience from 150K to 200K miles. If you want to read about the first 150K in detail, I did a writeup every 50K:

50K: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-gen1-diesel-general-discussion/56962-50000-miles-cruze-diesel.html
100K: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-g...7-100k-miles-2014-chevrolet-cruze-diesel.html
150K: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-g...sion/151073-150k-miles-2014-cruze-diesel.html

So, the ride from 150K to 200K had a few bumps in the road. Here’s the repair history from 150K to 200K:

150849 – Replace battery. It never completely died, but it was really slow cranking one cold morning after a week of cranking a bit slower than usual. When I got it started, it didn’t want to shift out of first gear and there may have been some strange messages on the DIC. It eventually started driving normally, and I drove it right to a dealership. They put a Cadillac battery in it 88864065 and it’s been great ever since.
179803 – License plate lights were both replaced (part of state inspection)
186444 – The intercooler pipe busted and was replaced. This required a tow to the dealer. More about that here (post #30 is my post with picture) http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-g...on/176233-engine-reduced-power-smoking-3.html
191129 – The DEF Tank reservoir was replaced due to a failed heater element (common issue on these cars). I was outside of the mileage limit for the extended warranty so I had to pay out of pocket for it. At the same time I had the emissions recall 15594 done, which led to some issues. This is discussed at length here: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-g...ecall-poll-p11dc-please-post-only-thread.html
198536 – Had the recall to the emissions recall done. They reprogrammed the car back to factory and so far it’s been fine. More about that here: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-g...on-1-sensor-replacement-recall-suspended.html

I also had the exhaust flange bolts replaced during one of the last service visits as a preventative measure, as a few users on the forum have had issues with these snapping. I figure I am good for a least another 3 years or so on those.

This car has been and continues to be the most satisfying car to drive that I’ve ever had, and I am comparing it to sports and luxury cars as well as other cars all across the board. The thoughtful engineering that is so seamless in this car makes engineering and design flaws in other cars very apparent. For example, the Cruze has nice, even, warm heat on my feet in the cold weather. It’s actually very rare for me to find any other car that doesn’t keep one foot hot and one foot cold. The Cruze has so many little features that are very well thought out, it’s just been a great companion for the past 200K miles.

Some interesting highlights: I’m on the original front brake pads and rotors. All the engine and transmission bits are original (glow plugs, injectors, turbo, AC, alternator, etc). Never had an intake clogging issue, like VWs and BMWs are known for. It still runs and drives more or less exactly the way it did when I drove it off the lot. Here is a video of me on the test drive. :go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z74b1Jd4gCc

Where do I go from here? Well, I am not sure. I had set 200K as my goal and I’ve reached it. I will say the latest recall has made me a little bit nervous about driving the car since the “Poor DEF” message did pop up that one time, but it was gone in 30 miles and hasn’t returned since. Maybe the recall to the recall removed that as a possibility moving forward. I do plan on keeping the car forever, so that plan hasn’t changed, even if I am not 100% sure about my plans to continue daily driving it at the rate I currently do. I obviously rely on it a lot in order to have reached 200K so soon. I have my eye on the new Cruze diesel, and also the Terrain diesel, so we will see where it goes. As of this writing, I am still regularly driving my Cruze, so who knows? You may see a 250K writeup before too long! :)

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Some quick math reveals that you've driven your CTD 150 miles a day, everyday, that you've owned it.

Just what do you do for a living?

Reactions: MRO1791 and Blasirl

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,915 Posts
Way to go! It appears you need a new badge!

Wow, looks like if we had stayed up in Flushing, we'd probably be near or past 100k, since we were doing 100 miles a day.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Congrats diesel. I started following your journey in May of 2015. Always respect and enjoy your perspective on your car. Appreciate your contributions here and looking forward to reading about your next milestone. Well done.

·
Registered
218 Posts
That's a lot of driving...maybe your next car should be a plane....thanks for the informative post....

·
Registered
314 Posts
Some quick math reveals that you've driven your CTD 150 miles a day, everyday, that you've owned it.

Just what do you do for a living?
Depending on when in 2014 he bought the car, it could actually be well over 200 miles a day, every single day.

I've also wondered what could cause 200,00 miles to be racked up in barely 3 or under 3 years. That's quite the accomplishment.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Badge upgrade awarded. Congratulations.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Congrats diesel. Was nipping at your heels at 176000 on my 14 Ctd until I started to throttle back in December. I continue to like this car despite the recent costly repair I had done. I wonder if that cracked intercooler started the car down the repair path. GM definitely needs to provide means for manual regen. Also, at least a temporary means to avoid the count down to death. It's a great long distance car, but not when those def issues start and uncertainty about being able to get back home starts. It's minor but I also don't like the drain plug. Started using a suction pump to drain my oil.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Congrats. Please keep driving it. I cant remember how many times Ive bragged about You to others. Here to hoping My Cruze will last like Yours. I agree, Im a Dmax guy but I REALLY enjoy driving this CTD.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I've actually been enjoying driving mine more later than I ever have. Not sure why.

Keep going, would be cool to see a 5 year old car with 500k miles. You're our high mileage tester, we need you.

Reactions: diesel

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've had the car since May of 2013, as it was an early '14. I drive to different sites for work and also drive a lot on weekends too. Apparently it adds up. :)

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Good job Diesel, theses little diesels are great cars, it's a shame Chevrolet didn't advertise it . I'll never catch you but I'm nearing the 150000 mile mark. 6000 to go.
I'll give a little write up then. It's been pretty flawless since the last write up.
Great job again my diesel friend

·
Registered
45 Posts
What's your average mileage so far? Did you track it on Fuelly or something similar?

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What's your average mileage so far? Did you track it on Fuelly or something similar?
Overall including everything (city, hard acceleration, idling, winter, etc) is just above 40 according to the DIC. It seems to reset itself every 60K miles though

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.