Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
After this post (http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/9-ge...ine-stalling-2nd-post1649298.html#post1649298) where i was asked to open up a new thread i decided just to do so.

I am the owner of a 2010 Chevrolet Cruze LT (110 kw) diesel. I bought the car 2nd hand in september 2012 from a garage here in the neighbourhood. The owner is a good friend of mine so i think i can trust him. Back then the car had approx. done 35.000 km (22.000 miles). It was like new and i drives like an absolute dream.

About a year ago i encountered a strange problem. When slowing down for an intersection or a sharp turn and shifting back to 2nd gear the car sometimes completely stalls from the moment i started turning my steering wheel. It is really hard to make the car do it. It sometimes just happenend. Now, i'm not a trained mecanic but most of the work on my car, even changing the timing belt, i do myself. I have an OBD-link here at home and it never showed at any errors after i stalled it. I however filled the car up at a gas station i normally never go to so i assumed that the diesel fuel just was no good. From then on i always starting taking on fuel at the same place and the problem disappeared.

Until a week ago. The car now has 65.000 km (40.000 miles) and it is almost time for big maintenance (new filters, oil,...) My wife came home and she said the car stalled on her again. Always when in 2nd gear, always when taking a sharp turn to the right. I went for a spin and yep, it did stall on me once. I can even show you where (http://goo.gl/maps/kf34q). I was just cruising along, pressed the clutch, went back to 2nd and from the moment i turned right the engine light luminated and the engine stalled. I just released the clutch and the engine pop started back to life. After that i decided to change the air filter and cabin filter a little early. In 500 km i will change the oil, the oil filter and fuel filter as well.
The day after i was again driving and i heard a beep. I looked at the dashboard and it said code 84. There was no other warning light what so ever. For a second or so i felt that all power was gone. The code dissapeared and the car now just drives again like there is nothing wrong.

The car still is in premium condition. I do all the maintenance myself and i always follow it by the book. I have no idea if this problem is electrical or if there is something wrong with the fuel in it. The strange thing is that it always happens when i turn the wheel, and always when i turn it to the right.
Two days ago i added an additive to clean the injectors and since that day it stopped stalling. I have no idea if the problem is fixed or not. I will wait for the wife to get home so maybe she can tell me if it happened today or not. I'm not very reassured in it. Stalling when taking a turn is not pleasant. The steering wheel gets very heavy because power steering is gone. For me that isn't a big problem, but women are not as strong as men. I'm not sure if the wife is strong enough to make the turn.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
It is possible the fuel filter is blocked causing fuel starvation. I have had similar stalling issues on previous vehicles when the filter became clogged up. If you are almost due for a change anyway I would try that first.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would indeed explain the stalling issues i am having now. But i also had the same problems a year ago and i did not change the fuel filter after that. The problems went away after i filled up the car at another gas station. So i always thought there was something wrong with the diesel fuel i filled the car with. From that moment on i always started filling up at the same station and the problems were gone, untill last week.

One more thing i noticed is that when the car does those strange things the fuel gauge isn't correct. It shows way less then what i know i have in the tank. No idea why it does that.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Fuel. Fuel, fuel, fuel.

When you went back to the good fuel, it diluted what ever caused the problem, now, over time, it has built up again.

It could be algae in the fuel, it could be gelling. I would change the filter, and run a diesel fuel treatment through as well, just to be sure.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
That would indeed explain the stalling issues i am having now. But i also had the same problems a year ago and i did not change the fuel filter after that. The problems went away after i filled up the car at another gas station.
Change the fuel filter. Even though the problems went away your filter is still dealing with the crap from that one station.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuel. Fuel, fuel, fuel.

When you went back to the good fuel, it diluted what ever caused the problem, now, over time, it has built up again.

It could be algae in the fuel, it could be gelling. I would change the filter, and run a diesel fuel treatment through as well, just to be sure.
I have allready ran a diesel treatment through it. This one (Halfords | Comma Diesel Magic 400ml) to be more precise.
I will change the fuel filter this evening or tomorrow. Thnx for the help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well... problems are getting from bad to worse. I changed the fuel filter but that did not fix the problems. Yesterday is was just driving along. Because of snowy road conditions i was not going very fast. 3rd gear at around 1700 rpm's. I came up to a right hand corner. I did not shift back, just stayed in 3rd gear. I came out of the corner, pressed the accelerator pedal and ... nothing happened. I pumped the accelerator pedal a few times... nothing.No warning lights, nothing. The car was just stalling. I pressed the clutch pedal and the engine light went on. Shifted back to 2nd, released the clutch, the engine again popstarted back to life and i could just drive on like nothing happened. Came home, attached the OBD link... no error messages.
I have not yet put new diesel fuel in it. I want to empty the tank first. Something tells me there is something wrong with the diesel. To much dirt or maybe some water in it. I'm scared i will kill the diesel pump or injectors by trying to empty the tank.

I just read this in the shoutbox. Sorry for the caps, i did not type it...
[Yesterday 05:14 PM]aviatorkk
:
OR IS MY FUEL PUMP GONE BAD??[Yesterday 05:14 PM] aviatorkk
: WHAT IS THE METHOD FOR PURGING OUT THE AIR??

[Yesterday 05:13 PM] aviatorkk
: MY CAR WAS RUNNING PERFECTLY FINE UNTILL THE FUEL TANK WAS TAKEN OFF. I HAVE A 2010 CRUZE LTZ. 80000KM. CAN ANYONE HELP BECAUSE THE PROBLEM EVEN AFTER CHANGING THE INJECTORS IS THE SAME.

[Yesterday 05:12 PM] aviatorkk
: THEN THE ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON CODE P0089.RPM WOULD SOMETIMES NOT EXCEED 2500 AND ENGINE WOULD SHUT DOWN ANYTIME. AFTER FEW FAILED ATTEMTS TO DIAGONSE THE PROBLEM NOW ALL THE FUEL INJECTORS HAVE BLOCKED.

[Yesterday 05:08 PM] aviatorkk
: I AM IN BIG TROUBLE.MY FUEL LEVEL SENSOR HAD SOME TROUBLE. SO TO GET IT REPAIRED THE FUEL TANK WAS UNMOUNTED, FUEL PUMP TAKEN OUT, AND SENSOR CHECKED WHICH WAS WORKING FINE.

It is the same car. He also has these stalling problems. Looks like he had problems with the fuel sensor, just like i felt i had a while ago. At least he had an error code, i have nothing. I'm slowly getting tired of this car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, not yet. It maybe is an idea.
Last time i had these problems, about a year ago, they dissapeared after i had almost completely emptied the fueltank and refueled the car. I'm hoping the problems will again be gone then.
I'm going to empty the car (hopefully it won't break down before it's empty), refuel it, again put in a new fuel filter and hopefully that will do the trick. If not i think i will be obligated to take it to a garage with a GM tech II scanner.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Peter, it seems like everything is pointing to a fuel delivery problem. When you changed the filter, what did it look like?

Have you checked fuel pressure?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, i haven't checked fuel pressure.

The fuel filter indeed looked dirty and yes, it really is starting to look like a fuel problem. Yesterday i changed the filter again. After that it was better, not ok, better. The car only stalled once. The engine light luminated every time i turned violently to the right though.

Normally i Will have to fill the tank this evening. I will keep you updated on what happens after that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, i was actually thinking in the same direction. That's why i, before i removed the fuel filter, i took a sample by opening the tiny screw at the bottom from where you normally purge water. Here you can see it : http://i57.tinypic.com/2vsf6tj.jpg

Looks perfectly clean to me. No dirt, no water, nothing. I'm still hoping bad fuel is the reason though. The wife is at work with the car. Normally she should refuel it today.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Peter, it seems like everything is pointing to a fuel delivery problem. When you changed the filter, what did it look like?
Here it is : http://i62.tinypic.com/64kxtj.jpg

The new filter is white. I have no idea if this was white as well but i think so because one of the fins (no idea how i should call it) still is white, or at least more white then the others.
This filter has been in the car for 30.000 km (approx 18750 miles).

Is there a brand of diesel fuel that you guys recommend ? Or a brand that you see as being bad fuel ? Last year when i had those problems i tanked at a Lukoil station. I normally never go there but the car was empty so i had to fill it. Then i always started filling up at a very small gas station near here. It is not a famous brand (Pollet), but i know the owner and i never had any problems. Last time i filled up the pump was making a lot of noise like the gas station itself was almost empty. I am really hoping problems will, just like last year, again be gone once the car is refueled.
One guy once told me i should take Shell V-power but there isn't a Shell station near here. A few times i drove to a Shell station only to find out they were out of V-power so i had to take on the normal Shell diesel fuel. After 3 times i gave up on it and started taking fuel at the Pollet station 1 mile from where i live. I had no problems at all for an entire year.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, the wife is home. She did about 60 miles today and the petrol gauge did not move at all. Yesterday i drove the car and it said i still had approx 120 miles before i had to refuel, not it still says 120 miles.
That gauge always drops to fast, except when you want it to drop lol.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Do keep us posted, I would be curious to see what the root cause is. What is fuel quality in general like where you live?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good i think. Belgium is wedged in between Germany, France and Holland so it's the centre of western Europe. I am 42 years old, got my driving licence when i was 18 and drive approx. 70.000 miles a year with my car (now Chevrolet, before Citroën and before that Ford, all diesels), my Mitsubishi pick-up diesel, my Fiat camper diesel and several Mercedes trucks at work. I never had a broken fuel pump.

I now am starting to think in that direction though. Or electronical. Today the engine light went on twice but it immediatly went out. The car made a beeping sound and for a second "Code 84" came on the screen but it immediately went away, the glow plug light went on once while driving and the car even refused to start when my wife wanted to come home from work. It started when she switched off the radio but i have no idea if that has something to do with it. Maybe it was just a coincidence.

Anyway... still 90 miles to go. Tomorrow i will fuel the car if it then still has problems i will go to a Chevrolet dealer.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts