Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this car going on 3 years now. I'm honestly surprised it's still running, the amount of problems I've had. I think I have 137k miles or so..

Anyway this just started the other day. The car has always shifted weird, but I started getting huge power loss and it seems almost like the transmission is slipping but I'm not sure if that's really the case.. The engine also seems not as loud, and it won't get past like 3-4k RPM even with the pedal to the floor.. And then it won't shift until I let off the pedal completely. Super weird, problem just started after I got gas the other day. I'm hoping it was just really bad gas, but IDK. I feel like I got bent over by the dealership on this car..

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,296 Posts
Check engine like on?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,861 Posts
Sounds like you might have a big air leak or have triggered an underboost code that has put the car in limp mode.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check engine like on?

Yes it is.. I have already been having a problem with miss firing and a very rough idle. The other day I was trying to find an air leak and I put my finger over a hole sucking in air under the cosmetic plastic engine cover thing.. Hard to describe but there's a circular thing on the valve cover plastic that has a hole in it like some kind of diaphragm thing it was sucking in air and I covered the hole like an idiot and sucked in oil into the intake, it smoked for a while but this was last week and it drove fine after it all burnt off minus the rough idle.. I was def thinking I'm having a vacuum leak though because of how rough the idle is. Also an intermittent problem with the AC turning off due to high engine temp.. This happens sporadically and can happen from a cold start so I don't believe it's overheating. I just recently replaced the AC blower, a temp sensor near the coolant reservoir, and have another temp sensor that goes in the radiator but I can't get to it. I've also replaced the thermostat. I have had the idle so rough it died a few times when I was stopped.. I'm really hoping it's not the transmission as it was pretty sudden in regards to the power loss and high RPM delay in shifting..

·
16,861 Posts
Yes it is.. I have already been having a problem with miss firing and a very rough idle. The other day I was trying to find an air leak and I put my finger over a hole sucking in air under the cosmetic plastic engine cover thing.. Hard to describe but there's a circular thing on the valve cover plastic that has a hole in it like some kind of diaphragm thing it was sucking in air and I covered the hole like an idiot and sucked in oil into the intake, it smoked for a while but this was last week and it drove fine after it all burnt off minus the rough idle.. I was def thinking I'm having a vacuum leak though because of how rough the idle is. Also an intermittent problem with the AC turning off due to high engine temp.. This happens sporadically and can happen from a cold start so I don't believe it's overheating. I just recently replaced the AC blower, a temp sensor near the coolant reservoir, and have another temp sensor that goes in the radiator but I can't get to it. I've also replaced the thermostat. I have had the idle so rough it died a few times when I was stopped.. I'm really hoping it's not the transmission as it was pretty sudden in regards to the power loss and high RPM delay in shifting..

You are going to need a new valve cover, and probably a intake manifold check valve fix kit.

You should probably get a DIY code reader too. You can pick one up for ~$20 on Amazon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

You are going to need a new valve cover, and probably a intake manifold check valve fix kit.

You should probably get a DIY code reader too. You can pick one up for ~$20 on Amazon.

Do you think that's what put it in limp mode? Because the idle has been rough for a while, the extreme power reduction just started.

·
16,861 Posts
Do you think that's what put it in limp mode? Because the idle has been rough for a while, the extreme power reduction just started.
Probably related. Start with fixing that PCV system, clear codes, see what comes back.

There may be other issues too, but that vacuum leak at the valve cover can result in a multitude of codes (P0106, P1101, P0171 usually; sometimes a P0299 underboost code and things like that as well).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Probably related. Start with fixing that PCV system, clear codes, see what comes back.

There may be other issues too, but that vacuum leak at the valve cover can result in a multitude of codes (P0106, P1101, P0171 usually; sometimes a P0299 underboost code and things like that as well).

If I order the V3 PCV fix kit do you think I should still order new valve covers to go along with it? I'm thinking the valve cover gasket is shot anyway and probably needs replaced just to be safe.

·
16,861 Posts
If I order the V3 PCV fix kit do you think I should still order new valve covers to go along with it? I'm thinking the valve cover gasket is shot anyway and probably needs replaced just to be safe.
Yes the valve cover needs to be replaced independently of the fix kit if it's sucking air. The fix kit is to help keep that from failing again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes the valve cover needs to be replaced independently of the fix kit if it's sucking air. The fix kit is to help keep that from failing again.
Thanks a lot I have already been looking into the PCV fix. I will get the valve covers first and start from there and see if it alleviates the symptoms, as well as a code reader, then I'll get the PCV fix kit if all that helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My dad was convinced that the diaphragm thing is supposed to be sucking air like that but I have read other posts that say otherwise, and when I put my finger over it it smoothed out the idle until my dad completely plugged it and it sucked oil lol.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,296 Posts
My dad was convinced that the diaphragm thing is supposed to be sucking air like that but I have read other posts that say otherwise, and when I put my finger over it it smoothed out the idle until my dad completely plugged it and it sucked oil lol.
Sorry, but he is 100% incorrect.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, but he is 100% incorrect.

That's alright, poor dad is gettin' old.

So my question now is, should I go ahead and install these valve covers before I get the PCV fix kit, or is it just going to immediately fail again, or should it show improvement while I order the repair kit? Should I wait til I get the repair kit to install it all? I just went and picked up valve covers and a code reader on my lunch break, won't have time to run codes til I'm off work though.

Thanks

·
16,861 Posts
The valve cover should hopefully help immediately with the drivability issues until you get/install the fix kit.

My note of caution would be that plugging one proverbial hole in a dike may cause other oil leaks if there aren't already. Cam seals, a chirping crankshaft seal, the oil cooler, and oil pan seal are the common ones.

So...ideally, take care of both ASAP, but it's fine to install the new valve cover and drive it for a few days. Beats trying to drive a car that is very unpredictable about when it will actually respond as you expect it to. I nearly got hit when I tried to make a left turn and my car fell on its face.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The valve cover should hopefully help immediately with the drivability issues until you get/install the fix kit.

My note of caution would be that plugging one proverbial hole in a dike may cause other oil leaks if there aren't already. Cam seals, a chirping crankshaft seal, the oil cooler, and oil pan seal are the common ones.

So...ideally, take care of both ASAP, but it's fine to install the new valve cover and drive it for a few days. Beats trying to drive a car that is very unpredictable about when it will actually respond as you expect it to. I nearly got hit when I tried to make a left turn and my car fell on its face.

**** well thanks for all the info, it didn't really feel like the tranny was slipping it just won't rev over 4k RPM and then doesn't really shift, I think it gets to 3rd or 4th gear and won't go past that.

Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright these are the codes I'm getting;

P2227, P2181, P0299, P0128, P0171.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I see the underboost code, but the cooling system codes I'm goign to guess is something to do with the temp sensor I haven't been able to get flexible enough to install yet (on the radiator) the temp gauge has been crazy for a while.. Hopefully I don't have to replace the thermostat again.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts