Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done renting a 2011 1LT Cruze with 32,000 miles on the clock. Couldn't believe the difference between it and my 2012 1LT. The DIC is far more primitive on the 2011, no average MPG, no compass, etc (or I couldn't find them if they were there).

But the biggest surprise was the power and performance. I would have sworn this was the 1.8 engine, but it was an LT and opening the hood confirmed it was the 1.4T. I rented it in VA, which was about 700 ft elevation vs nearly 6,000 in Denver where I live. The 2011 was dog slow and noisy compared to mine. Also, even though I reset the average MPG when I took the car, it got only 32 MPG on the DIC after a couple hundred miles, whereas on similar roads and driving speeds I'd have expected to see 40+ on mine (65 MPH and below on relatively flat roads 95% highway driving).

Maybe it was just because it was a rental (I hope so!), but I never would have bought the Cruze if it had performed like this thing did. It ran OK and was still tight and relatively rattle free, but the engine just seemed "tired" and didn't have nearly the power mine has - even with the altitude penalty. I hope that when mine gets to 32K miles it doesn't act like this rental did.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hard to say what that rental has been through! Ever hear the expression "drive it like a rental"? Nice to hear it was airtight and free of rattles.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Your description pretty much echos comments I've heard from a Chevy salesman who has driven both years as demo units and, of course, they were new.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well then there was something definitely wrong with the one I rented because it was absolutely gutless, loud, and got pretty poor mileage. No Check Engine lights or anything were on it though.

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
Well then there was something definitely wrong with the one I rented because it was absolutely gutless, loud, and got pretty poor mileage. No Check Engine lights or anything were on it though.
Probably had spark plugs gapped very low, as well as using bad 87 octane gas, and who knows what else.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
If the rental was an automatic, I wonder if it had had the ECU reflashed to correct multiple transmission software problems. Most rentals are automatics.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Just got done renting a 2011 1LT Cruze with 32,000 miles on the clock. Couldn't believe the difference between it and my 2012 1LT. The DIC is far more primitive on the 2011, no average MPG, no compass, etc (or I couldn't find them if they were there).

But the biggest surprise was the power and performance. I would have sworn this was the 1.8 engine, but it was an LT and opening the hood confirmed it was the 1.4T. I rented it in VA, which was about 700 ft elevation vs nearly 6,000 in Denver where I live. The 2011 was dog slow and noisy compared to mine. Also, even though I reset the average MPG when I took the car, it got only 32 MPG on the DIC after a couple hundred miles, whereas on similar roads and driving speeds I'd have expected to see 40+ on mine (65 MPH and below on relatively flat roads 95% highway driving).

Maybe it was just because it was a rental (I hope so!), but I never would have bought the Cruze if it had performed like this thing did. It ran OK and was still tight and relatively rattle free, but the engine just seemed "tired" and didn't have nearly the power mine has - even with the altitude penalty. I hope that when mine gets to 32K miles it doesn't act like this rental did.
Where in VA did you rent your cruze? How does one go about finding where you can rent a Cruze from? How much does it cost per day to rent a cruze?

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Nice! I live in Culpeper Va, which is only like 40 mins away! wow, $52 for two days is really cheap! Do you have family in this area?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice! I live in Culpeper Va, which is only like 40 mins away! wow, $52 for two days is really cheap! Do you have family in this area?
Have family in Roseland. Think the base rate was $17/day, plus whatever extra fees there are. So the base rental was $34, and $18 in taxes/fees/etc :$#angry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts