Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

141 - 160 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi I read just about all of your threads and so I havea13 cruze lt turbo with 73000 miles.do I need to worry about this on my car? I'm not having any problems and I have a trifecta tune and K&n intake just curious if I need this and what should I be looking for exactly? I already had to replace the water thermostat cover on the drivers side that has 4 hoses attached to it.it had a small crack leaking antifreeze

·
Administrator
15,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Hi I read just about all of your threads and so I havea13 cruze lt turbo with 73000 miles.do I need to worry about this on my car? I'm not having any problems and I have a trifecta tune and K&n intake just curious if I need this and what should I be looking for exactly? I already had to replace the water thermostat cover on the drivers side that has 4 hoses attached to it.it had a small crack leaking antifreeze
Here's the thread that explains how to check everything:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-gen1-1-4l-turbo/192442-2011-2016-cruze-1-4-pcv-valve-cover-intake-manifold-issues.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a '13 Cruze 1.4 turbo which we bought new, now has about 140,000 mostly highway miles on it, and last week it did the thing with the check valves - loud hiss from the valve-cover PCV valve,diminished GPM, searching idle, P1101 code,etc. Using our spare car now. If we were to drive the Cruze in question,would it do some damage? Like,burned valves, for instance? Need to fix it before driving any more? I'd like to get this kit, but due to circumstances, I need to get this fixed promptly, and the Bad News Racing site causes me to get a warning about phishing and dangerous site,etc.,so I guess I'll just order an OEM valve cover and intake, which include the parts I need. Is buying those items going to be enough to fix this? What about that check valve at the turbo? Do I need one of those, too? Never had any trouble with this car, and it's averaged over 40 MPG over its entire life. The transmission started whining at about 100,000 miles, and I have one ready to install,along with the other necessities of that swap. The local dealer replaced the water pump due to the recall some time back. I appreciate any input you may have.

·
Administrator
15,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
I have a '13 Cruze 1.4 turbo which we bought new, now has about 140,000 mostly highway miles on it, and last week it did the thing with the check valves - loud hiss from the valve-cover PCV valve,diminished GPM, searching idle, P1101 code,etc. Using our spare car now. If we were to drive the Cruze in question,would it do some damage? Like,burned valves, for instance? Need to fix it before driving any more? I'd like to get this kit, but due to circumstances, I need to get this fixed promptly, and the Bad News Racing site causes me to get a warning about phishing and dangerous site,etc.,so I guess I'll just order an OEM valve cover and intake, which include the parts I need. Is buying those items going to be enough to fix this? What about that check valve at the turbo? Do I need one of those, too? Never had any trouble with this car, and it's averaged over 40 MPG over its entire life. The transmission started whining at about 100,000 miles, and I have one ready to install,along with the other necessities of that swap. The local dealer replaced the water pump due to the recall some time back. I appreciate any input you may have.
The BNR site should be fine. I'll mention it to Jerry. I would honestly recommend getting the kit for the intake manifold. You can drive that bad intake manifold a little while without any serious issues but the valve cover does need to get replaced, so do that ASAP.

As for the turbo Inlet check valve, pull the corrugated hose from the intake manifold and blow in to it. If it flows freely, that doesn't need replacing.

I can have a kit out to you tonight if you order one.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, I am new to the site but have using the tutorials for a while. I recently had a semi-rough idle and was a little over 103k miles on my 2012 1.4L Cruze and decided to change my spark plugs. I gapped them all at 0.028". Then I had a vacuum leak with CEL occur immediately after at the PCV diaphragm on the valve cover (which was replaced once at 67k miles). I just recently replaced the valve cover and now I'm still having a rough idle with an extremely loud high pitched whistle coming from the turbo. I ordered a new PCV corrugated hose, as it was freely blowing and sucking, to hopefully alleviate the issue until I can order your kit for the intake manifold (XtremeRevolution) (should be Friday) as that check valve is also gone too soon. Has anyone else had this type of issue with the turbo whistling insanely after a new valve cover?

·
Administrator
15,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Hello, I am new to the site but have using the tutorials for a while. I recently had a semi-rough idle and was a little over 103k miles on my 2012 1.4L Cruze and decided to change my spark plugs. I gapped them all at 0.028". Then I had a vacuum leak with CEL occur immediately after at the PCV diaphragm on the valve cover (which was replaced once at 67k miles). I just recently replaced the valve cover and now I'm still having a rough idle with an extremely loud high pitched whistle coming from the turbo. I ordered a new PCV corrugated hose, as it was freely blowing and sucking, to hopefully alleviate the issue until I can order your kit for the intake manifold (XtremeRevolution) (should be Friday) as that check valve is also gone too soon. Has anyone else had this type of issue with the turbo whistling insanely after a new valve cover?
I haven't heard of that issue. I'd have to hear the actual sound though. Generally this kind of thing refers to a vacuum or boost leak. At idle, you'd only hear the vacuum leak. Are you certain this is coming from the turbo?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't heard of that issue. I'd have to hear the actual sound though. Generally this kind of thing refers to a vacuum or boost leak. At idle, you'd only hear the vacuum leak. Are you certain this is coming from the turbo?
I am not truly certain if it is the turbo, but it was after the valve cover replacement that it started (no oil leaks). It is literally a whistling sound and when I step on the gas it quiets down some. I am just hoping it is one of the components from the PCV system that I am replacing.

All sarcasm aside, it makes the noise faintly when I blow and suck inside the corrugated hose.

·
Administrator
15,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
I am not truly certain if it is the turbo, but it was after the valve cover replacement that it started (no oil leaks). It is literally a whistling sound and when I step on the gas it quiets down some. I am just hoping it is one of the components from the PCV system that I am replacing.

All sarcasm aside, it makes the noise faintly when I blow and suck inside the corrugated hose.
Check all of the components in that area. The intake, intake tube, the 90 degree rubber elbow (that cracks sometimes), and the other connections around there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check all of the components in that area. The intake, intake tube, the 90 degree rubber elbow (that cracks sometimes), and the other connections around there.
Definitely will, I already ordered the replacement hose (I'm thinking there is either a leak or the check valve at the turbo inlet is all messed up causing the whistle). I will be getting your intake manifold kit asap too. Hopefully this will all fix the rough idle. Thanks for all the tutorials/write-ups!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
After work I looked, found out the corrugated house at the turbo inlet elbow sheared off completely!! Not even sure how that happened, that is where the whistle sound was coming from, crazy. It looks like I have to remove a few hoses to put the new one on since it also has the little hose that comes with it, correct? Or can I just replace the corrugated hose?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I *think* you could replace that corrugated hose without replacing the little one. If you cut off the tape holding the small hose to the corrugated one, you should be able to free the corrugated hose and replace it. When I had the intake manifold off on mine to do the check valve mod, I discovered that a lot of the hose clamps were put on with the engine on a stand in the factory and clocked in a way that made them very difficult to remove with the engine in the car. I wasn't able to remove that small hose's connection to the intake manifold without first removing the intake. The end that connects down by the turbo tore off during removal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's exactly what I was looking at, is that the hose clamps on the small hose are in the worst spots. If need be, I will install both, if not just the corrugated one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just an update, I replaced my pcv corrugated hose after the valve cover and it fixed my rough idle. I plan on getting the intake manifold pcv check valve mod soon, but how long would I be alright driving without the check valve in the intake manifold as time is truly the issue for me to do that immediately?

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Apparently, you can now get a bare 1.4T intake manifold - part # 25200449. It's about $170 or so, depending on where you shop.

Not available at Amazon at this time, alas.

·
Administrator
15,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Apparently, you can now get a bare 1.4T intake manifold - part # 25200449. It's about $170 or so, depending on where you shop.

Not available at Amazon at this time, alas.
Be sure to check on shipping too. Some sites like gmpartsdirect like to list these for cheap, then when you add them to your cart you see $20-$35 shipping cost. For example, gmpartsgiant has it for $166.48, but shipping is $15.23 bringing the cost to $181.71.

That doesn't really change the fact that the manifold wasn't redesigned and will still suffer the same problem as the original one when the check valve inevitably fails.

141 - 160 of 189 Posts