Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Figured i'd post about my current misfortunes and see if anyone else has experienced the same symptoms and can offer suggestions. My 11' 2LT with auto trans and 122k miles is slipping mostly in 5th and 6th gear while trying to accelerate. The most common scenario is doing 55 MPH on the highways and accelerating up slight incline causes the most consistent slip. To be clear its not slipping between gears but it is slipping while in 5th or in 6th. Its not undriveable at this point but its getting to be a bit annoying.

Back story, i did a fluid drain and fill (2x) at 100,000 miles with ACDelco Dexvi. About 3 weeks ago i did 1 more drain and fill at 122k with Valvoline max life when i noticed the slippage. i gave it another week and added a small amount of lucas additive which produced no noticeable results.

Things i have considered:
-Low fluid
-Too much fluid
-Drain & fill again, expect different results ....
-AAMCO its where the pros go
-Ebay transmisison for $500
-Band adjustment required ?
-Burn the car to the ground ?

Thanks,
Phil

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Since it seems to be fine in other gears, it is probably one of two things:

1) Fluid level
2) Clutches (internal failure).

The car needs to be level, at at least 170*F trans temp, and then have the check plug on the side pulled. At the correct level, the fluid should come out in a small, steady stream...not gushing, not nothing, not dropping.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jblack,
I have had a difficult time getting the trans up to that temperature. As suggested in Xtreme's post, i bought an infrared thermometer. I do not believe i have been able to break 150 degrees. I commute 1.5 hours from queens to the subrubs of NY in bumper to bumper traffic with 20 miles of highway driving mixed in and still have not been able to get there. What vents are people blocking to get the trans up to that temp ?

As an aside, has anyone doe a writeup on removing/installing the Automatic Transmission ?

-Phil

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Since it seems to be fine in other gears, it is probably one of two things:

1) Fluid level
2) Clutches (internal failure).

The car needs to be level, at at least 170*F trans temp, and then have the check plug on the side pulled. At the correct level, the fluid should come out in a small, steady stream...not gushing, not nothing, not dropping.
Sup -J. Sounds like the cure is one of those high quality @XtremeRevolution lube jobs!

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Thanks Jblack,
I have had a difficult time getting the trans up to that temperature. As suggested in Xtreme's post, i bought an infrared thermometer. I do not believe i have been able to break 150 degrees. I commute 1.5 hours from queens to the subrubs of NY in bumper to bumper traffic with 20 miles of highway driving mixed in and still have not been able to get there. What vents are people blocking to get the trans up to that temp ?

As an aside, has anyone doe a writeup on removing/installing the Automatic Transmission ?

-Phil
Get yourself a OBD2 bluetooth plug. Download torque app to phone. Add transmission temp gauge. You will find yourself at 170 degree fluid temp LONG before your 1.5 hour journey is up.

Measuring the outside casing Isn't going to get you there in winter time. That's a lot of cold air cooling it down as you're driving. I didn't read the post or even know where it's at so i have no idea what the talk is. But i don't see using infrared working out this time of year,.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, i have not put much stock in the Infared especially since it has been below freezing here. Just ordered the Bluetooth guy from Amazon.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Yea, i have not put much stock in the Infared especially since it has been below freezing here. Just ordered the Bluetooth guy from Amazon.
Do they sell a Bluetooth girl too? This might solve many problems!

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Its a matching pair M+F. Amazon has a gender neutral option too.
They would lol. Sadly this day in age, the Bluetooth guy is probably a bad investment. He'll get accused of sexual harassment after a short time and have to be replaced. You already know that would all go down right after it ran out of warranty too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.