Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Chevrolet‘s Cruze Eco compact sedan has returned 28 mpg in the city and 42 mpg on the highway, allowing it to capture the top spot in its segment for fuel economy.

Using the new 1.4T engine that displaces 138 horsepower, the Cruze Eco also has a few aerodynamic tricks up its sleeve, including a front air dam, rear spoiler, a revised underbody surface and a lowered ride height, as well as a host of weight reductions. Low rolling resistance tires at 17" wheels also help lower the car's drag coefficient.

Best of all, the Cruze only costs $18,895, but you'll have to wait until January to order one.

More: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco Rated At 42 MPG Highway, Beats Original Target on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
73 Posts
I swear I just read somewhere that this is the manual version and the the automatic gets 36 or 38 or something like that on the highway. Does anyone know anything further about this? It's not that big of a deal because I've already ordered my Eco and I should be able to pick it up at the end of February.

·
Registered
598 Posts
cruze eco owners should has a special badge that reads "suck it hybrids!". lol. such an amazing car with a really good mileage from a car that's not even a hybrid.
Wait when a hybrid in 8 years has to replace the battery pack. $$$$$$$$$
Who will invest 4 grand in an 8 yr old car for a new battery pack? And that assumes that nothing else is "wrong". That is a 1000 gallons of fuel at 4 bucks a gallon. 1000 x 30 MPG = 30,000 miles!!!!! Just to break even :rolleyes:. So, even before you save money, you are already behind 30K mile at 8 years. And what if the hybrid costs 10 k more than a non-hybrid? Another 2500 gallons of gas at 4 buck a gallon. That is another 30 x 2500 = 75,000 miles to break even. Anyone going to drive 105,000 miles to break even? :p

If your desire is to save the planet, buy a hybrid (or ride a bike, or car pool)

If your desire is to save the plant and save $$$$$$, buy a Cruze.:D

Or a Volt

·
Registered
235 Posts
Another ECO Cruze article.........FYI

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco: Best Highway MPG Of Any Non-Hybrid - The Car Connection

Do you see a reason to buy a Cruze Eco with the Automatic Transmission? The MPG figures are not that much different from a non-eco. The big gain is, without a doubt, the gearing numbers in the manual trans. It will be interesting to see the actual mpg numbers the eco/manual gets when the six gear changes are made with the driver ignoring the "Shift Light" and feeling the turbo :eek:.

Take an Eco/manual and a standard Cruze (auto trans.) , put them both on the same highway and cruise at 60 mph and the Eco is going to achieve a six mpg advantage? It's going to be very interesting indeed to see what the "real life" mpg numbers will be with the Eco. Best wishes for the Eco. :) The world is watching to see if the 42 mpg can be routinely obtained.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I too didnt think much of the Auto's 1 mpg gain over the standard Cruze. Why even bother calling it an ECO if thats all you get. It must be due to the weight reduction and grill shutter because the ride height is the same due to the Z link rear suspension. Oh, the LRR tires must be factored int here too. Either way, I was disappointed with the minimal gain in mpg and personally would not give up the fancy stuff I have on my LTZ for 1 mpg. It seems to me to be more of a marketing effort, and half-hearted at that.
I totally get the manual though. 6 mpg is a serious gain and puts you into a nice class of 40+ mpg. Thats worth talking about. Hopefully we will get some feedback soom fro ECO owners who are testing out that highway mileage. At 55-60 mph :D. Id be curious to see the RPM vs speed chart on that too and compare it. I'm sure the gear ratios are out there somewhere too. Anybody have that handy.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Cruze Eco Owners..................

We'd like to hear from you....Let us know what you think about your new Cruze Eco. Did you buy the Manual or Auto transmission? Are you finding the "shift light" reasonable to live with (M/T)? How much time are you spending watching your "Instant MPG" readout? Keep us updated on your MPG figures. Best Wishes for the Eco owners and I'm hoping your new Cruze is making you smile:):):).

P.S.> You could start a new thread: ex., "My Eco Experience", etc.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...here are the final gear ratios and engine RPM at 50 MPH (as specified by GM & EPA):

• 1.8L _with M6 (axle: 3.94:1) = 1,950 RPM @ 50 MPH
• 1.8L _with A6 (axle: 3.87:1) = 1,940 RPM @ 50 MPH
• 1.4LT with A6 (axle: 3.87:1) = 1,940 RPM @ 50 MPH
• 1.4LT with M6 (axle: 3.83:1) = 1,550 RPM @ 50 MPH (Eco model)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Glad for the Eco........

Eco sounds great but you'll pry my z-link suspension from my cold dead hands, I just love how my 2LT handles.
Me too, Sedanman, maybe it's my old age talking, but we sure enjoy our LTZ RS with the A/T and bells/whistles. I'm just happy for Chevrolet to see the Eco fairing well in the reviews and delivering the Mpg's the world was waiting to see if it could:rolleyes:. Well, it sure looks like it CAN :) !!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts