Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 2011 Cruze about a year ago (it was used) and have been very happy with it, except after today. I took my car to a drive-thru car wash and when I came out of it, the driver side floor board was soak and wet. I also noticed some water on the passenger side floor board and the floor board behind the driver seat. I am not sure what is going on, but I am baffled, as this is the first time this ever happened. Has anybody else encountered the same problem, or does anybody know what the problem might be? Thank you in advance...

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,118 Posts
Welcome Aboard! :welcome:

Just a stupid question but...

Were the windows closed completely? Were the doors completely closed?

Now that that's out of the way, look under the car for any missing grommets or for a possible rust through area or a puncture.

·
10,712 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Does it have a sunroof?

Has the windshield been replaced on this car recently?

I assume if it was coolant you would say strong coolant smell unless you are running 100% water in the coolant system.

Have you checked the air filter behind the glovebox?

last thing is have you pulled the cowl where the wiper arms and motor are before?

·
Super Moderator
5,169 Posts
Welcome and the first thing I thought of was the heater core but that would have strong coolant smell as Merc said. First thing I would do is get underneath the car and look at the floorboards. Is there a leak on any of the doors?
I know car washes use pretty powerful sprays.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your replies. Yes, all the doors and windows were closed and my Cruze does not have a sunroof. I will inspect the car today and will follow up.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Most likely cause would be the triangular (my description) cowl drain that you can see with the hood open.
These often get plugged with tree debris and whatnot and then the trapped water gets dumped into the air inlet at the HVAC box. From there it goes out of the ductwork and onto the floor.

With any luck, someone will take a photo for this thread (and to guide you) of the drain.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
My new Millennium Honda Dealer in Florida had a square Car Wash frame that came down and washed the CRV. Blew tons of water in the car. 2 years later I dumped that CRV as it smelled too bad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally had some time to go over my Cruze. Well, there is nothing wrong with the windshield, doors, grommets etc...After I vacuumed all the water of the floorboard, I thought I was good to go. Well, I went to town yesterday, and the next thing I noticed, my driver side floorboard was soak and wet again, with water standing, it looked like a puddle. I also noticed that my AC was "vogging". There was vog/steam coming out of the vents, leaving wet residue on the chrome trim. My wife had her purse on the passenger floorboard, and her purse got soak and wet. Now I am baffled...Could it be from the AC? But why would there be that much water on my floorboards from the AC?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
See Robby's post. The water went into the HVAC system.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I finally had some time to go over my Cruze. Well, there is nothing wrong with the windshield, doors, grommets etc...After I vacuumed all the water of the floorboard, I thought I was good to go. Well, I went to town yesterday, and the next thing I noticed, my driver side floorboard was soak and wet again, with water standing, it looked like a puddle. I also noticed that my AC was "vogging". There was vog/steam coming out of the vents, leaving wet residue on the chrome trim. My wife had her purse on the passenger floorboard, and her purse got soak and wet. Now I am baffled...Could it be from the AC? But why would there be that much water on my floorboards from the AC?
Check the coolant tank level......your heater core may have developed a leak.

If you are up to it (I'm a retired wrench, sort of) to speed things up you need to 'taste' the water. (comes with the job btw)
That means, you dab your fingertip in the liquid and put it on your tongue and 'taste' (I didn't say swallow, get your mind out of the gutter now) it......then, dry your tongue with a clean towel.
If the heater core has failed, the taste will be very sweet.....sweeter than soda pop sweet.
If it just tastes flat, like water, the heater box is still flooded with water and will take a fair amount of heat on, windows open, dry out time.

Did you locate the triangular drain I mentioned earlier?

Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts