Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im at my whits end here. I have a 2011 chevy cruze lt 1.4l. Ive had my valve cover replaced twice. Last time i had a leak in the corner closest to the alternator due to stripped bolt holes. My mechanic fixed that but now the leaking is even worse and still on the same side. Any idea what i could be? I have attached a few photos

Attachments

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Did they replace the gasket last time the VC was off to repair the stripped bolts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the valve cover is actually fairly new so there was no need to. He used a silicone sealant all around the edge of the cover as well

·
Registered
31 Posts
When my EGR/Cam Cover/Intake was replaced they said I had an oil leak because the higher pressure caused my front crank seal to leak. They replaced it too and the leak was gone.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
CRS bolts into cast aluminum is the newest problem, 71 inch-pounds of torque on those camshaft cover bolts is about the maximum. If electrolysis occurs, the threads of the aluminum will come out with the bolts, sounds like somebody got carried away with excess torque.

One repair is to just replace the head. $$$$! Another is to go to the next largest size bolt, whether it be metric or English, latter call those SAE bolts now, even though they didn't have anything to do with units of measurement. Run into this quite frequently, brings back memories of working on 30's car. Knew how to make bolts back then, major problem was breaking the wrench instead of the bolt.

Those couple of bolts could be tapped to the next largest size, and to increase the clearance holes the same amount. Or you could fight to get a new head.

Just another more recent change, goodbye gaskets, hello RTV. Very happy that all my drills and taps were made in the USA. If you tried this with this crap from China, would be helpless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stripped bolt holes were already repaired. My mechanic even used silicone sealant to further seal the valve cover. It only sprays out when the car is in motion. According to him it doesnt do it when at idle

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
The stripped bolt holes were already repaired. My mechanic even used silicone sealant to further seal the valve cover. It only sprays out when the car is in motion. According to him it doesnt do it when at idle
Something is wrong, no cracks in either the head or cover? Was the old gasket cleaned off? Also different types of RTV, some good for coolant, others for gas and oil.

Sounds like a fire hazard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our Cruze 1.4 turbo is at the shop now with the exact same issue that started on 5/25/17. Started after replacing the valve cover with the new redesigned one. Let me know what you ended up doing. My leak is in the same spot and looks exactly like your pictures. 135,000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m dealing with the same issue. Have a 2013 1.4L. The PCV (I think?)valve went bad inside warranty and warranted the valve cover to be replaced. Ever since then I have dealt with a leaky cover. They’ve (GM dealer) replaced the gasket multiple times but have never mentioned anything about stripped bolts.

I had a free oil change to a local chain car repair shop. They noticed a small leak and wanted to replace the gasket again. They said there is a lifetime replacement for any work they do. So I took them up on it since I’ve been dealing with it for so long. They told me they found one stripped bolt and replaced it, having to use a helicoil. That fixed it briefly then leaked worse than before. Brought it back the next oil change and they ended up putting a tracer in the oil only to find it is the valve cover again.

They replaced 3 more stripped bolts on the same side, above the serpentine belt. Hopefully this fixes it. The car is never going back to the GM dealership who can’t fess up to their **** up.

Hopefully you found an option besides replacing the head.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I e got the same engine but it’s in a Vauxhall, mine was leaking from the two silver circular items in your 2nd picture, the part number is GM 55592715

·
Registered
32 Posts
I e got the same engine but it’s in a Vauxhall, mine was leaking from the two silver circular items in your 2nd picture, the part number is GM 55592715
Those are the timing valve solenoids, they have a grommet seal that goes bad and they start to leak. I had one leaking on my '12 1.4l and just removed it and placed silicone around the grommet and it has held up pretty good, but mine was a minor leak, not like the ones pictured here...

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,105 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts