Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my daughters Chevy Cruze is driving me nuts. Here's what is happening.. I took it to Jiffy Lube for an oil change in July 2019, took it back to her to drive home. When she got home it seemed like the exhaust was coming out of every crevice in the engine compartment. I called a mechanic friend of mine to help with troubleshooting. He said the catalytic converter seems to be the problem. So we replaced the upper catalytic converter along with the V-Clamp since there was a rattling noise also. Smoke went down a lot but did not disappear completely. Also it sounded like there was an exhaust leak somewhere in the engine... loud. My mechanic friend decided to take the car for a spin to see if he could hear or feel anything out of the ordinary. He came back and said it was sluggish on acceleration and suggested replacing the timing chain since this could cause the exhaust smoke and acceleration problems if the timing had slipped. We just finished that job the acceleration seemed to be a little better but not great. New problem though, it is smoking like Willy Nelson, but the smoke is white and moist. I just filled up the system with antifreeze and it stinks. The loud engine noise is still present like we are running straight pipes off the exhaust manifold. His suggestion was a head gasket issue or a head issue to address the white smoke, but unknown about loud noise or acceleration. Anyone here come across this issue or have recommendations? The car is a 2011 Chevy Cruze (of course) 1.4L Turbo engine with 76,000 miles. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone, my daughters Chevy Cruze is driving me nuts. Here's what is happening.. I took it to Jiffy Lube for an oil change in July 2019, took it back to her to drive home. When she got home it seemed like the exhaust was coming out of every crevice in the engine compartment. I called a mechanic friend of mine to help with troubleshooting. He said the catalytic converter seems to be the problem. So we replaced the upper catalytic converter along with the V-Clamp since there was a rattling noise also. Smoke went down a lot but did not disappear completely. Also it sounded like there was an exhaust leak somewhere in the engine... loud. My mechanic friend decided to take the car for a spin to see if he could hear or feel anything out of the ordinary. He came back and said it was sluggish on acceleration and suggested replacing the timing chain since this could cause the exhaust smoke and acceleration problems if the timing had slipped. We just finished that job the acceleration seemed to be a little better but not great. New problem though, it is smoking like Willy Nelson, but the smoke is white and moist. I just filled up the system with antifreeze and it stinks. The loud engine noise is still present like we are running straight pipes off the exhaust manifold. His suggestion was a head gasket issue or a head issue to address the white smoke, but unknown about loud noise or acceleration. Anyone here come across this issue or have recommendations? The car is a 2011 Chevy Cruze (of course) 1.4L Turbo engine with 76,000 miles. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
on mine I think it has to do with the turbo if u look under exhaust shield where the second turbo clamp is it’s leaking exhaust from clamp and burnt up my waste gate

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,517 Posts
. We just finished that job the acceleration seemed to be a little better but not great. New problem though, it is smoking like Willy Nelson, but the smoke is white and moist. I just filled up the system with antifreeze and it stinks. The loud engine noise is still present like we are running straight pipes off the exhaust manifold. His suggestion was a head gasket issue or a head issue to address the white smoke, but unknown about loud noise or acceleration. Anyone here come across this issue or have recommendations? The car is a 2011 Chevy Cruze (of course) 1.4L Turbo engine with 76,000 miles. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Pull your coil pack, remove the plugs and send an endoscope into the bores. If the cylinders are clean or wet, you have an internal coolant leak.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pull your coil pack, remove the plugs and send an endoscope into the bores. If the cylinders are clean or wet, you have an internal coolant leak.
Thank you for that information. So now the suspect is an internal coolant leak along with probably a bad turbocharger and hopefully that is all. This car ran so good prior to a recent oil change. Any new information to my problems would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be a head gasket, or cracked cylinder. Pull the head would be my next guess. Why do you think the turbo is bad?
As I said before, I went to Jiffy Lube for an oil change and it drove fine except for loss of power every now and then. My daughter drove it home and it sounded like the exhaust manifold had come loose, (loud), and exhaust smoke coming from the engine bay. After checking it out, the exhaust was primarily coming from the area where the Turbo is along with the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter. We changed the cat and clamp, but still loud noise and smoke (grey). The mechanic I was working with said it sounded like a timing issue. So he changed the timing chain. No help except now white smoke. Now since everything was off the front of the engine I decided to go ahead and change the water pump too. The car has 76000 miles on it and I read somewhere that you should change the timing chain and water pump at 75000 miles. I could have a water/antifreeze leak since the mechanic didn't change the gasket for the timing cover which includes the gasket for the water pump. To be honest, I'm just guessing with reading all the post here because I can definitely admit that I haven't the foggiest clue what I am doing here. That is why I am posting my problems here trying to find a clue and then finding a mechanic that knows what they are doing. The car has been garaged since this all happened July 2019.

·
Super Moderator
8,517 Posts
The water pump is covered by a special warranty - including gaskets

#14371: Special Coverage Adjustment - Engine Coolant Leak from Water Pump - (Oct 6, 2014)
Subject:14371 – Special Coverage Adjustment – Engine Coolant Leak from the Water Pump
Models:2011-2014 Chevrolet Cruze
2012-2014 Chevrolet Sonic
With 1.4L Engine (RPO LUJ or LUV)
ConditionSome 2011-2014 model year Chevrolet Cruze vehicles and some 2012-2014 Chevrolet Sonic vehicles with the 1.4L engine may have an engine coolant leak from the water pump. The pump may leak from the weep reservoir or from the water pump shaft seal, leading to a drip of coolant onto the engine or onto the ground. Over time, the loss of coolant will reduce cooling performance and eventually could lead to engine overheating. If this condition is not corrected, the “Service Engine” indicator light may come on, an “Engine Hot, AC Off” message may appear, a chime may sound, and the engine power may be reduced.
Special Coverage AdjustmentThis special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.
Dealers are to replace the water pump if it is leaking. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The water pump is covered by a special warranty - including gaskets

#14371: Special Coverage Adjustment - Engine Coolant Leak from Water Pump - (Oct 6, 2014)
Subject:14371 – Special Coverage Adjustment – Engine Coolant Leak from the Water Pump
Models:2011-2014 Chevrolet Cruze
2012-2014 Chevrolet Sonic
With 1.4L Engine (RPO LUJ or LUV)
ConditionSome 2011-2014 model year Chevrolet Cruze vehicles and some 2012-2014 Chevrolet Sonic vehicles with the 1.4L engine may have an engine coolant leak from the water pump. The pump may leak from the weep reservoir or from the water pump shaft seal, leading to a drip of coolant onto the engine or onto the ground. Over time, the loss of coolant will reduce cooling performance and eventually could lead to engine overheating. If this condition is not corrected, the “Service Engine” indicator light may come on, an “Engine Hot, AC Off” message may appear, a chime may sound, and the engine power may be reduced.
Special Coverage AdjustmentThis special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.
Dealers are to replace the water pump if it is leaking. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.
Thanks, great information. Do you think I'm on the right track with the turbo?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You really need to post the OBD-II codes. Get a code reader or somehow go to an AutoZone and have them read.
Yes, I agree with you on that. That was in the back of my head. I will have to get a code reader and then post the codes under this post. Last we checked there were 11 or 14 codes. Some of them led us to the Cat, then to the Timing, because they were all toward fixing one or two things could fix all the codes. According to the mechanic I was trusting. I'll get moving on this. Thanks again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update to my original post. I bought a Foxwell OBDII code reader. I just ran the codes and here is what it gave me.
P0016 // P0017 // P1101 // P0171 // P0102 // P0113 When we started this venture, there were I think 11 codes. None of these codes that I can see would account for the loud exhaust and smoke coming from the engine bay. I could be wrong?

P0016 - Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor A
P0017 - same as above except Sensor B
P1101 - Actual measured airflow from MAF/MAP/EGR and TP is not within range of the calculated airflow
P0171 - System too lean Bank 1
P0102 - Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Low
P0113 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit High

Please someone tell me what is going on and how to fix it.

Thank you for your time and expertise.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but I'd start with troubleshooting the mass air flow sensor issue. If that's off, it could potentially cause a error effecting everything else. Clean it, check the wires, and replace if necessary. Then I'd disconnect the battery for a while to reset the codes (or reset using the foxwell reader), reconnect and resume troubleshooting if the codes are still there.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mack, thank you for your input. I will be replacing the air filter and checking out the mass air flow sensor, probably replacing it, and hopefully it will solve some of my issues. My biggest issue is why do I have exhaust smoke coming out of the engine compartment? And why is it so loud, sounds like the exhaust manifold is not connected, but it is?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Cruze has variable valve timing. It's controlled hydraulically using engine oil. Since the problems started with an oil change, I'd do another oil change. Who knows what Jiffy Lube put in? Since it's leaking from everywhere, it might be 5W instead of 5W-30.

Strange valve timing could cause the airflow to be messed up.

·
Super Moderator
8,517 Posts
Update to my original post. I bought a Foxwell OBDII code reader. I just ran the codes and here is what it gave me.
P0016 // P0017 // P1101 // P0171 // P0102 // P0113 When we started this venture, there were I think 11 codes. None of these codes that I can see would account for the loud exhaust and smoke coming from the engine bay. I could be wrong?

P1101 - Actual measured airflow from MAF/MAP/EGR and TP is not within range of the calculated airflow
P0171 - System too lean Bank 1
P0102 - Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Low
P0113 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit High

Please someone tell me what is going on and how to fix it.

Thank you for your time and expertise.
Causes for a P0016 may include:

Timing chain stretched, or timing belt skipped a tooth due to wear
Misalignment of timing belt/chain
Tone ring on crankshaft slipped/broken
Tone ring on camshaft slipped/broken
Bad crank sensor
Bad cam sensor
Damaged wiring to crank/cam sensor
Timing belt/chain tensioner damaged
Read more at: P0016 Crankshaft Camshaft Position Correlation DTC

Causes for a P0017 may include:

Bad crank sensor
Bad cam sensor
An improperly torqued crankshaft balancer
A mis-built or mis-timed engine
A loose or missing crankshaft balancer bolt
The CMP actuator solenoid stuck open
The CMP actuator stuck in a position other than 0 degrees
Read more at: P0017 Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor B)

Chevy Cruze P1101 Causes

Engine Wiring– A good place to start is to do an inspection of the area around where the mass airflow sensor plugs into the intake. Make sure that the wiring doesn’t look broken or disconnected. You’d be surprised, in the winter months a rodent can cause a lot of damage to a an engine in one night.

Air Filter– Pull your air filter and see if something has gotten in there. If it has, remove the debris. Or if the filter looks very dirty go ahead and replace it. If enough air is not getting into the engine the mass airflow sensor is not going to get a proper reading, and P1101 will likely be thrown.

If neither the engine wiring or the air filter seems to be a problem, then it’s going to be time to pull the mass airflow sensor and see if it is dirty. A word of caution, these sensors can be incredibly sensitive to the oil’s on skin so make sure to use caution and not touch the sensor element itself.

Leaking Intake– If the intake seal on the Chevy Cruze has been damaged, there’ll be a vacuum leak. A vacuum leak means that air will be getting in to the intake not through the throttle. This is going to dramatically alter the reading at the mass airflow sensor gets and will trigger P1101.

A mechanic would be able to do something called a smoke test, which would let them visually see where the intake is leaking from.

If you would like to try to find the vacuum leak yourself go ahead and perform a visual inspection and make sure that you don’t have a disconnected or broken vacuum hose. If it looks ok, than carb and choke cleaner can help. Here’s a good video on vacuum leak diagnosis.
Read more at: Chevy Cruze P1101 and P0171 Trouble Codes | Drivetrain Resource

A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow)
Sensor is dirty or faulty Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled.
There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor
Possible cracked vacuum or PCV line/connection
Faulty or stuck open PCV valve
Failed or faulty oxygen sensor (bank 1, sensor 1)
Sticking/plugged or failed fuel injector
Low fuel pressure (possible plugged/dirty fuel filter!)
Exhaust leak between engine and first oxygen sensor
Read more at: OBD-II DTC: P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)

Potential causes for this trouble code, P0102, may include:

Dirty or contaminated mass air flow sensor
Failed MAF sensor
Intake air leaks MAF sensor electrical harness or wiring problem (open, shorted, frayed, poor connection, etc.)

Note that other codes may be present if you have a P0102. You may have misfire codes or O2 sensor codes, so it's important to take a "big picture" look at how the systems work together and effect each other when doing a diagnosis.
Read more at: P0102 Mass Airflow (MAF) Circuit High

A code P0113 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Internally failed IAT sensor
Faulty connection at IAT sensor
Open in IAT ground circuit or signal circuit
Short to voltage in IAT signal circuit or reference circuit IAT harness and/or wiring routed too close to high-voltage wiring (e.g. alternator, spark plug cables, etc.)
Faulty PCM (less likely but not impossible)
Read more at: OBD-II Trouble Code: P0113 Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input

I would start by cleaning the MAF with MAF cleaner and blowing air on each of the connectors you had apart. Pull them apart and basically air dry them out. Those are pretty cheap and easy things to do.

Also because you have a few of the codes associated with a bad intake PCV, read this to see:
2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Causes for a P0016 may include:

Bad crank sensor
Bad cam sensor
Read more at: P0016 Crankshaft Camshaft Position Correlation DTC

Causes for a P0017 may include:

Bad crank sensor
Bad cam sensor
An improperly torqued crankshaft balancer
A mis-built or mis-timed engine
A loose or missing crankshaft balancer bolt
The CMP actuator solenoid stuck open
The CMP actuator stuck in a position other than 0 degrees
Read more at: P0017 Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor B)

Chevy Cruze P1101 Causes

Engine Wiring– A good place to start is to do an inspection of the area around where the mass airflow sensor plugs into the intake. Make sure that the wiring doesn’t look broken or disconnected. You’d be surprised, in the winter months a rodent can cause a lot of damage to a an engine in one night.

Air Filter– Pull your air filter and see if something has gotten in there. If it has, remove the debris. Or if the filter looks very dirty go ahead and replace it. If enough air is not getting into the engine the mass airflow sensor is not going to get a proper reading, and P1101 will likely be thrown.

If neither the engine wiring or the air filter seems to be a problem, then it’s going to be time to pull the mass airflow sensor and see if it is dirty. A word of caution, these sensors can be incredibly sensitive to the oil’s on skin so make sure to use caution and not touch the sensor element itself.

Leaking Intake– If the intake seal on the Chevy Cruze has been damaged, there’ll be a vacuum leak. A vacuum leak means that air will be getting in to the intake not through the throttle. This is going to dramatically alter the reading at the mass airflow sensor gets and will trigger P1101.

A mechanic would be able to do something called a smoke test, which would let them visually see where the intake is leaking from.

If you would like to try to find the vacuum leak yourself go ahead and perform a visual inspection and make sure that you don’t have a disconnected or broken vacuum hose. If it looks ok, than carb and choke cleaner can help. Here’s a good video on vacuum leak diagnosis.
Read more at: Chevy Cruze P1101 and P0171 Trouble Codes | Drivetrain Resource

A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow)
Sensor is dirty or faulty Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled.
There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor
Possible cracked vacuum or PCV line/connection
Faulty or stuck open PCV valve
Failed or faulty oxygen sensor (bank 1, sensor 1)
Sticking/plugged or failed fuel injector
Low fuel pressure (possible plugged/dirty fuel filter!)
Exhaust leak between engine and first oxygen sensor
Read more at: OBD-II DTC: P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)

Potential causes for this trouble code, P0102, may include:

Dirty or contaminated mass air flow sensor
Failed MAF sensor
Intake air leaks MAF sensor electrical harness or wiring problem (open, shorted, frayed, poor connection, etc.)

Note that other codes may be present if you have a P0102. You may have misfire codes or O2 sensor codes, so it's important to take a "big picture" look at how the systems work together and effect each other when doing a diagnosis.
Read more at: P0102 Mass Airflow (MAF) Circuit High

A code P0113 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Internally failed IAT sensor
Faulty connection at IAT sensor
Open in IAT ground circuit or signal circuit
Short to voltage in IAT signal circuit or reference circuit IAT harness and/or wiring routed too close to high-voltage wiring (e.g. alternator, spark plug cables, etc.)
Faulty PCM (less likely but not impossible)
Read more at: OBD-II Trouble Code: P0113 Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input

I would start by cleaning the MAF with MAF cleaner and blowing air on each of the connectors you had apart. Pull them apart and basically air dry them out. Those are pretty cheap and easy things to do.

Also because you have a few of the codes associated with a bad intake PCV, read this to see:
2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues
I just saw this today, thank you for this additional information. I will attack the MAF first and follow on with everything else. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcomes.

By the way, I included my concern about the Turbo Charger because the auto repair shop I normally take my 2000 Chevy Blazer to had mentioned it to me initially when I talked to him about the lack of power. We had it replaced once before but when this all started happening the 5 year warranty had expired by a couple months. I wasn't thinking about the other codes until I bought a reader and actually read up on the codes presented. I do know the filters need replaced, both inside and outside, and Jiffy Lube informed me about them. I had them here in my garage to replace but forgot about them until this all started happening. I just haven't replaced them yet because everything happening with this car seemed bigger than the air filters.

Thanks again
Al Davenport

1 - 17 of 17 Posts