Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2011 Chevy Cruze, already looked into multiple parts from replacing the valve cover, and replacing the evap purge solenoid. Still have both codes and we cant seem to clear them even if you unplug the battery they come back shortly after. But there is no check engine light. ABS and StabiliTrak lights are on and don't want to go off either.

When you start the car and the engines cold it doesn't want to go above 2000rpm's till it warms up either.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,429 Posts
Hello, I have a 2011 Chevy Cruze, already looked into multiple parts from replacing the valve cover, and replacing the evap purge solenoid. Still have both codes and we cant seem to clear them even if you unplug the battery they come back shortly after. But there is no check engine light. ABS and StabiliTrak lights are on and don't want to go off either.

When you start the car and the engines cold it doesn't want to go above 2000rpm's till it warms up either.
Welcome Aboard!(y)

A 1.4, or 1.8?

If there is no SEL/MIL then the codes are stored and you need to clear them with the code reader, not a hard reset. If they still come back, make sure the dash light is working by turning on the car, but not starting it.

Potential causes of a P0496 EVAP code include:

Faulty purge or vent solenoid/valve
Plugged EVAP canister
Failed EVAP / fuel pressure sensor
Poor electrical connection
Faulty canister purge valve
Blocked vapor canister
Faulty vent solenoid
Read more at: P0496 EVAP Flow During A Non-Purge Condition

A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled.
There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor
Possible cracked vacuum or PCV line/connection
Faulty or stuck open PCV valve
Failed or faulty oxygen sensor (bank 1, sensor 1)
Sticking/plugged or failed fuel injector
Low fuel pressure (possible plugged/dirty fuel filter!)
Exhaust leak between engine and first oxygen sensor
Read more at: OBD-II DTC: P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)

Buy a can of MAF cleaner and clean the MAF as a cheap start.

As for the ABS and StabiliTrak lights, try this.
TSB 14311
SB-10057574-8899

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 1.4,
The codes don't want to clear on the scanner says in the bottom "permeate" the hard reset removes them but they come back shortly after starting the car. as for that pdf ill look into it and let you know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome Aboard!(y)

A 1.4, or 1.8?

If there is no SEL/MIL then the codes are stored and you need to clear them with the code reader, not a hard reset. If they still come back, make sure the dash light is working by turning on the car, but not starting it.

Potential causes of a P0496 EVAP code include:

Faulty purge or vent solenoid/valve
Plugged EVAP canister
Failed EVAP / fuel pressure sensor
Poor electrical connection
Faulty canister purge valve
Blocked vapor canister
Faulty vent solenoid
Read more at: P0496 EVAP Flow During A Non-Purge Condition

A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled.
There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor
Possible cracked vacuum or PCV line/connection
Faulty or stuck open PCV valve
Failed or faulty oxygen sensor (bank 1, sensor 1)
Sticking/plugged or failed fuel injector
Low fuel pressure (possible plugged/dirty fuel filter!)
Exhaust leak between engine and first oxygen sensor
Read more at: OBD-II DTC: P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)

Buy a can of MAF cleaner and clean the MAF as a cheap start.

As for the ABS and StabiliTrak lights, try this.
TSB 14311
SB-10057574-8899
For the ABS and StabiliTrak Lights, I had that cable replaced less then a week ago it was my first move to hopefully fix it but no luck still doing the same. Also had the purge or vent solenoid/valve, & the PCV valve replaced as both were bad. Had the car lifted and smoke tested saw no vacuum leeks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got rid of my P0717 by removing the hose, and carefully cleaned the PCV with silicone and strips of a rag from a tee shirt. But I did buy a kit, and keep it in the trunk, as we all know, one day it will fail.

·
Registered
799 Posts

Hey I was just wondering if you were able to find anything else out about my car and the issues it having?
Sorry, I missed this.

You have a 1.8, and it won't rev above 2000 RPM when cold.

It has two codes which come back, P0171 and P0496, but no check engine light. Have you verified the CEL works? It should light up when you turn the key on.

What is the status of the codes when you read them? Pending? Permanent? Something else?

Re: P0496: You replaced the evap purge valve? Which one? Under the hood? Or near the fuel tank?

Re: P0171: Has the MAF sensor been cleaned? (Use only MAF safe cleaner.)

Re: Negative battery cable: Who did the repair? A dealer? Do you know what part was used? The part number should be on your receipt. Can you get an ABS capable code reader and check for an ABS code?

Given the cable was replaced, and the ABS/Stabilitrak light is still on, I would inspect the wiring. Look at the cables starting at the battery, trace the wires away from it and inspect for corrosion. Look at the wiring below the master cylinder, going to the ABS hardware, and check for something disconnected or damaged.

I would think, if the ABS/Stabilitrak light is staying on, you should be able to get a code, given the right reader. Autozone may be able to help with that.

As for the low RPM sluggishness, I don't have a strong inclination as to what's wrong - underhood diagnostics isn't my strongsuit. But sometimes, if you can get one or both the codes cleared for good, other symptoms will go away without further diagnosis.

HTH.
Doug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, I missed this.

You have a 1.8, and it won't rev above 2000 RPM when cold.

It has two codes which come back, P0171 and P0496, but no check engine light. Have you verified the CEL works? It should light up when you turn the key on.

What is the status of the codes when you read them? Pending? Permanent? Something else?

Re: P0496: You replaced the evap purge valve? Which one? Under the hood? Or near the fuel tank?

Re: P0171: Has the MAF sensor been cleaned? (Use only MAF safe cleaner.)

Re: Negative battery cable: Who did the repair? A dealer? Do you know what part was used? The part number should be on your receipt. Can you get an ABS capable code reader and check for an ABS code?

Given the cable was replaced, and the ABS/Stabilitrak light is still on, I would inspect the wiring. Look at the cables starting at the battery, trace the wires away from it and inspect for corrosion. Look at the wiring below the master cylinder, going to the ABS hardware, and check for something disconnected or damaged.

I would think, if the ABS/Stabilitrak light is staying on, you should be able to get a code, given the right reader. Autozone may be able to help with that.

As for the low RPM sluggishness, I don't have a strong inclination as to what's wrong - underhood diagnostics isn't my strongsuit. But sometimes, if you can get one or both the codes cleared for good, other symptoms will go away without further diagnosis.

HTH.
Doug

Will have to check about the CEL

Both codes read as perminate

Replaced the purge under the hood

Havnt looked at MAF yet

Battery cable came from GM verified with them it's the right one.

I've done a quick look through on the wiring didn't see anything out of the ordinary but will look again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts