Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I just recently bought a used 2011 Chevy Cruze with only 25,000 miles. I am only averaging 28 to 29 mpg on highway going about 70. Also, whenever we are cruising in town the transmission almost feels like it can't decide on which gear to stay in. It's very frustrating especially since I have loved the Cruzes ever since they came out. I've been debating on taking it in to a Chevy dealer to see what they say could be wrong with it. I'm just worried they're going to tell me that's just how the car drives.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas that could be wrong with it?

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
GM should have an update for that PCM to update the transmission shifting. Ask them specifically about a programming update to the PCM (computer).

Slow down to 65. There's a 3-4mpg difference between 65mph and 70mph, and the 2011 Cruze is even worst.

Expect gas mileage in the winter to drop over what you'd get in the summer/spring/fall due to temperature changes. Check your tire pressure.

What's your average speed according to the driver information center, and how long are your usual trips in the car?

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Which model do you have? LS, LT, LTZ. I'm assuming you have an automatic transmission. The 2011 LS automatic is the worst version of the Cruze for fuel efficiency.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi Tabby_cat519,

I would be happy to call and set up a dealership appointment and ask bout any possible updates. I can create a case for you and assist you through the process if you are interested in a dealership visit. When you decide what you would like to do you can send me a private message and I will assist you. I look forward to hearing from you. Have a great holiday!

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I have the LT 1.4L.
Consider trying a couple of things before shooting the car down or going to a dealer.

1. Set the tire pressures to at least the pressure recommended, posted at the drivers door opening.
Probably should do this anyways.....who knows how long its been sitting.
2. Next time you are on the highway, and BTW, you will have the best mileage results at 65 or less, set the cruise and then hit the reset button on the DIC while on the average mpg page.......this is best done on a reasonably still day with dry streets.
Within 20 minutes, you will see what mileage your Cruze is capable of.....most likely you will be well beyond 35 mpg.

3. Once this is established, drive in your normal manner, speeds, just business as usual.
You will likely notice the average is rapidly going into the toilet......this is your signal to accelerate more smoothly, or drop your speeds......make a game out of it....you will be shocket at how a little different driving style makes a huge difference in mileage.......that includes minimizing warmup times (0 mpg)....that really spikes it.

Ok, the trans question......this car may have had its battery replaced prior to your purchass or it may have died and required a recharge......the possibility that the transmission is relearning is possible or the transmission is conditioned for its previous owners driving style.
At very least, disconnect the negative battery cable for an hour or so......this forces everything back to its base setting.....the automotive equivilent of 'rebooting' your PC.

Reconnect and start the car......while idling, but not yet in gear, reset the various memories like the radio, and the other available custumization features.......this is allowing time for the engine computer to begin a relearn.
Now, go for a drive.....15 to 20 minutes around town.....drive like you normally will be.
This step is establishing a baseline for the transmission 'adaptives' to learn your driving style and it modifies each upshift and downshift every time.
Overall, the trans can take up to 1000 miles (yes I said one thousand) for it to reach a point that meets your criteria.

If you were to continue operating without forcing a relearn, the trans must 'unlearn' and then 'relearn' your style.

Good luck, be patient and congrats...I think you'll like it.

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts