Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took a look at the 2010 Focus on Ford's website... The profile view is not bad but that is one fugly front end. The only nice thing I see is that it has is the push button start (can keep the keys in the pocket). Wish the Cruze had that but it is in no way a deal killer. The selectable ambient lighting is also nice but I would probably lose interest in it in a week.

Can anyone else point out any major differences? What is the expected MPG's on the Ford?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I too wish it had the push button start, but again, not a deal breaker. I had the opportunity to drive a Nissan Juke demo for a few days, and it had the push button start and the intelligent key system. A nice treat.

The Ford Focus. I had the unfortunate experience of driving one of these while my beloved G5 was getting her face lift in 2008 (Front end accident. Heartbreaking). It was the worst ride of my life. That thing drove like a box on wheels. But alas, my personal opinion isn't important.

I must say, the redesign of the Focus is well-done. It is much easier on the eyes. However, comparing the base model against the Cruze I find is night and day.

2012 Focus S w/ AT - $18,799
What you get:
-4 speakers
-4 airbags
-15" wheels w/covers
-Bluetooth n/a
Lighting, Visibility & Instrumentation
-Rear Window Defroster
-Tach
-Low Tire Pressure Monitor

2011 Chevrolet Cruze LS w/AT $17,895
What you get:
-6 speakers
-10 airbags
-16" wheels with covers
-Connectivity available w/ BT, OnStar, USB, and AUX
Lighting, Visibility & Instrumentation
-Rear Window Defroster
-Tach
-Voltmeter
-Trip Computer
-Outside Temperature Display
-Automatic Headlights
-Variably Intermittant Wipers
-Speed-Sensitive Wipers

In conclusion, the Cruze is far superior. Except the TPM is a $56 option on the Cruze :p

·
Registered
235 Posts
TPMS is standard ...........

TPMS is standard equipment.......should be no extra cost...all models.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm a huge Ford fan and currently have two 2011 models. But, the current Focus doesn't hold a candle to the Cruze. I don't like the look of the new Focus at all, maybe because I'm older than their demographic. From a quality perspective, I'm a little disappointed in the Cruze, so I may give the new Focus a look.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I just went over to the Ford site to check it out. Those things aren't cheap either!! I spec'd out a comparable model to the LTZ I have and it was north of $25K. The engine had more hp but its peak is high in the band. The 1.4T has ever so slightly more torque and earlier. Driven hard they will probably be a wash. Though I would be surprised if the Focus weighs as much as the Cruze. Mass is our weak point right now.
Man I wish we had a 5 door!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ahh, yeah. TPMS isn't a federal requirement in Canada. :)

I looked at the interior photos of the 2012 Focus, and was like "huh... this looks a LOT like they copied the Cruze interior."

But yeah, I've driven a couple of iterations of the Focus a couple of times as a rental, and wasn't impressed. It always felt like I was riding a go-cart and the wheels were about to fall off. Hopefully they've done better this time around, but even if they did, the Cruze seems like the better car so I'm happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ahh, yeah. TPMS isn't a federal requirement in Canada. :)

I looked at the interior photos of the 2012 Focus, and was like "huh... this looks a LOT like they copied the Cruze interior."

But yeah, I've driven a couple of iterations of the Focus a couple of times as a rental, and wasn't impressed. It always felt like I was riding a go-cart and the wheels were about to fall off. Hopefully they've done better this time around, but even if they did, the Cruze seems like the better car so I'm happy with my purchase.
THe Cruze and Focus are not comparable directly in my mind. For example the Cruze is more of "refined" competitor to the Corolla and Elantra. The new Focus (which is as different from the previous Focus as the Cruze is from the Cobalt) is more of a "fun" competitor to the Mazda 3 and Civic Si.

I'd imagine the Focus will be a better handling/fun to drive car than the Cruze and I also imagine it will have a better 0-60 time (of anything, I am most upset with the Cruzes engine - but not a lot). I do not think it will be as quite, the trunk will not be as useful and the interior will be hard pressed to match the Cruze's interior.

The interior look nothing much a like. The Cruze comes across as more sophisticated. The Ford on the other hand comes across as more youthful and techy.

I do think, if the Cruze had a better power train (like 170 pounds feet of torque and 160 HP) and actually got the MPG's it is suppose to without having to featherfoot around, the Focus would be hard pressed to be better in most ways. I also don't like that the Cruze sucks gas back like mad at 70mph.

I however think it's the best car out right now and will be competitive for awhile. I am aswell very pleased to drive the Cruze.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Without a doubt Ford is targeting a young audience for the Focus, just as the Fiesta. This is why I bought the Cruze. I'm 42 and love it and I've own (and owned) much more high end vehicles. The Cruze is very nice and conservative, just the way a sedan should be. I don't want gimmicks and things that look like a Kia Seoul.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I want a QUIET car. The Cruze is QUIET! Driving a car for me is about comfort. A big part of comfort is quiet. The Cruze has quiet nailed.

With 16 inch wheels (no sport car driver for sure) I get quiet interior and smooth ride.

5 star crash safety (NHSTA 2011 tests and IHSS), quiet, soft ride, stabilitrak and good mileage combined with great local dealer is [email protected]!

I love GM engineers. From Corvette to Cruze, they have it covered.
RGM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts