Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife’s 2011 Cruze LTZ RS with 75k on the clock, one owner bought new(13 miles on delivery) religiously maintened developed a low coolant flow, engine overheat condition which prompted me to replace the water pump, serpentine belt and tensioner, thermostat, water outlet, surge tank and cap, and coolant bypass hose. During removing the water pump and thermostat I had noticed that the spring was not being retained by the metal clip and that it had failed. The 2 small PLASTIC tabs that retain the metal clip had disappeared.

After re-assembly and topping off coolant, during a test drive the temp shot up again with the engine overheat, idle engine warning came back. During inspection I have noted the presence of combustion gasses in the coolant indicating that the head gasket has failed. The coolant outlet and bypass hose had been replaced previously due to coolant leaking.

I know the 5 years of the power train warranty has expired but it has less than 100k miles and I was wondering if this is a known issue and if Customer Care offers some sort of aid. My wife has bought 2 new Chevy’s from Lordstown, where her grandmother retired, along with many other new GM vehicles in her family to support the employees and retirees. I am at a loss for word in the thermostat design and the overwhelming number of issues and complaints regarding the cooling system. I sincerely hope that somehow there can be a resolution to our situation that doesn’t drive us to another brand after this. Brand pride used to be an important thing. Let’s hope it still is.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
YOu checked your oil for water?

I wouldn't be surprised for a head gasket considering how hot those earlier models run as it is. Someone made a modification to a much colder thermostat. There's a thread posted on this sight.

But how do you notice the presence of combustion gases?

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s going in to the dealer tomorrow. I’m hoping there is something that can be done by GM or Customer Care to help out. I paid out of pocket to fix the leaking water pump that had a failed thermostat attached. Under special coverage 14731 if i would have taken it in for service, the water pump and thermostat would have been replaced at no cost. We are the only owners and we never got an update regarding the special coverage warranty extensions. The Onstar is still active for the accident monitoring, although we did change address 2 years ago. I check for open recalls at least once every 3 months. I just feel like GM has partially given up trying to keep customers happy. Hopefully I can be proven wrong. No one from Customer care has attempted to contact me, even through this forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts