Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking the car to the dealer tomarrow for aceleration problem around 2000 rpm. Anyone else have this prob? I love this car to death and I cant believe this is happening:eek:. I will keep you guys updated, also I will ask about the transmission update.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have been using 87 octane like chevy said I could, however I know that this engine has 9.5.1 Compression. Based on my experience with turbochargers I believe that 9.5.1 comp is kinda high for a turbo to start with and 87 octane should make it detonate, I personally think that setup should be running 91 octane at the least. I hope this problem is not transmission related. It really feels like its misfiring when it starts acting up. It does this every other day and at first I thought it was the gas, but I have killed that tank since then and put water remover in my tank.

· Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I have been using 87 octane like chevy said I could, however I know that this engine has 9.5.1 Compression. Based on my experience with turbochargers I believe that 9.5.1 comp is kinda high for a turbo to start with and 87 octane should make it detonate, I personally think that setup should be running 91 octane at the least. I hope this problem is not transmission related. It really feels like its misfiring when it starts acting up. It does this every other day and at first I thought it was the gas, but I have killed that tank since then and put water remover in my tank.
When I used 87 it acted up sometimes, I quickly switched to 89 and it's been fine. Try bumping up a grade

· Banned
372 Posts
Could it be the plugs? also try 91 octane. I believe 87 is too less and would definitely detonate. But it also varies as per the other contents of the fuel (Country specific). You should get it diagnosed from the dealer and also check for injector problems.

· Registered
87 Posts
I've been using 87 without issues as well for aprox. 1700 miles. I just through 89 in my tank tonight to see if I notice any difference. I'll report back in the fuel thread my findings - so far though it feels pretty much the same.

· Registered
235 Posts
87 octane......or somethings wrong....

Hmmm....
Many of us with 87 octane are not experiencing this. Get it looked at before settling with more expensive gas.
I agree, SilverCruzer. No complaints for our Cruze - 3300 miles on it now. Using only 87 octane (with the usual <10% ethanol). Very happy with the performance of this little 1.4 turbo, with the sensitive gas pedal, and being shifted 5 times automatically. No re-flash thoughts at this point.:) IMO, use 87 octane and if you have a complaint about what you might think is fuel related go to the dealership and complain. The dealership needs you to complain...that's what leads to TSB's. Let the "system" (warrenty) fix your car. It's never enjoyable to return to the dealership for repairs/complaints, but that's what they are there for.....use'm. No satisfaction at the dealership....use the contact info in the back of your owners manual and make that call for complaints. Customer Satisfaction is #1 with Chevrolet and all of GM. Make them earn it!

· Premium Member
4,338 Posts
...here in Tucson, AZ, we're at 2,300-2,600 ft altitude, and 87 octane gasoline seems (so far) to work fine, with not even a 'hint' of pinging. Of course, it's winter time (and, winter gas) now, not summer time (and, summer gas) which is the time when pinging-problems typically occur.

...and, we didn't "notice" anything different when we were visiting Yuma, AZ (150 ft altitude) over the Christmas and New Years Holidays...using same 87 octane gasoline.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so here is a quick lil update. I been at the dealership all day and they couldnt finish my car today. They said they think the timing is off and its not tranny related. I asked about the tranny reflash and the service manager looked at me like I didnt know what I was talking about. So hopefully it will be fixed tomarrow and in the mean time I am driving an 08 Impala they gave me as a loaner. Not trying to compare apples to oranges but I want my Cruze back!!!! The Impala sucks:mad:.

· Registered
598 Posts
I asked about the tranny reflash and the service manager looked at me like I didnt know what I was talking about. .
My Cruze had the reflash done at the factory, so mine does not need a re flash. Trust your dealer until you have proof (not a paranoid suspicion) not to trust them. Lordy, the guys and gals who work on the cars are honest and just trying to do the right thing. They are not the enemy. Don't treat them like the enemy. Treat them like you would like to be treated. Thank them for their efforts, be kind and enjoy the loaner. :D They don't make money by jerking you around. so give them a chance to do the right thing. It takes time to fix cars, as you are not ordering a cheeseburger and fries at your local fast food place. The folks who fix cars are trained and take pride in their work, just like you do. They are professionals, Treat them like professionals.

· Premium Member
4,338 Posts
They are professionals, Treat them like professionals.
...unfortunately, only some of them are professionals, others are merely wrench turners, and we (the customer) seldom get to choose or designate WHICH one it will be that actually "works" on our car.

...I've both seen and taught both ends of this mechanical spectrum--true professional and wanna-be professional in training who wears a dunce cap.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My Cruze had the reflash done at the factory, so mine does not need a re flash. Trust your dealer until you have proof (not a paranoid suspicion) not to trust them. Lordy, the guys and gals who work on the cars are honest and just trying to do the right thing. They are not the enemy. Don't treat them like the enemy. Treat them like you would like to be treated. Thank them for their efforts, be kind and enjoy the loaner. :D They don't make money by jerking you around. so give them a chance to do the right thing. It takes time to fix cars, as you are not ordering a cheeseburger and fries at your local fast food place. The folks who fix cars are trained and take pride in their work, just like you do. They are professionals, Treat them like professionals.
I know man, I felt bad after I asked him because I didnt want to come off as a person who was telling them how to do thier job. Thats why I didnt do back flips about it. They were very polite and the loaner is not a piece of crap, its just not as nice as my 2LT RS:D

· Registered
193 Posts
The tranny reflash bulletin is in their computer system. When I first took mine in, they looked at me funny too, until they looked all the bulletins up and found and performed all four.

I don't think the timing is off. My guess is that it is the tranny issue (mine jerked horribly).

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The tranny reflash bulletin is in their computer system. When I first took mine in, they looked at me funny too, until they looked all the bulletins up and found and performed all four.

I don't think the timing is off. My guess is that it is the tranny issue (mine jerked horribly).
I will see what happens tomarrow, if it still isnt fixed then I will ask him about the service bulletin again. I know he gets them because I worked for a John Deere dealer and Case IH dealer and even we got them. So I know what the heck a TSB is.

· Registered
516 Posts
I asked about the tranny reflash and the service manager looked at me like I didnt know what I was talking about. .
The Cruze is still a low volume car. Some dealer may have had only one or two in for service. The service desk were I took mine had also no idea about these issues we discuss until he punched in my VIN. Then onced that happened, they took care of everything as instructed by GM.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.