Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this 2011 LTZ Cruze new and have had many issues. The water pump was replaced! The drivers side heated seat works for 60 seconds, then goes out! It is beginning to have severe stalls at takeoff! And now there is a chirping noise coming from what sounds like the top of the engine. Is any of this familiar with anyone? Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Most common thing found, regarding 'chirp' type sound, is a loose spark plug.......the high pressure gasses sneaking past the threads makes a audible 'chirp' or tick sound.
Chop chop on that one.....threads in head will be damaged with continued use.

Sometimes, if the PCV diagram fails, a integral part of the rocker cover, you can hear it whistle air being drawn into the vent hole on the cover.
With the plug cover off, you will note a disc shaped area that appears glued to the cover (my interpetation)
There is a small hole in that disc area, facing horizontally.
Cover the hole with your fingertip.....there should be no suction, no change in idle or sound.......if this component develops a large vacuum leak a check engine light will set.

The cover/pcv assembly is covered under powertrain warranty.....5yr/100k miles.

We have seen a rather high failure rate of water pumps.....enouph so that Chevrolet has extended the warranty.

The seat heater business sounds like a timer relay has signed off......that will require diagnosis on site.

Good luck,
Rob

·
Registered
381 Posts
Regarding the heated seat you have a bad element in the back or the bottom of the seat. Its typically probably the back unit. The back on is easier to replace than the bottom one. Its not a relay its just a short. once you take the cover off you will see a very small burn mark.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I purchased this 2011 LTZ Cruze new and have had many issues. The water pump was replaced! The drivers side heated seat works for 60 seconds, then goes out! It is beginning to have severe stalls at takeoff! And now there is a chirping noise coming from what sounds like the top of the engine. Is any of this familiar with anyone? Any suggestions?
Hello John62,

I'm truly sorry to learn of the reoccurring vehicle issues you're experiencing with your 2011 Cruze. Have you taken your vehicle into a certified Chevrolet dealership to address your concerns? We'd be more than happy to contact them on your behalf and review this further. If this is something of interest, please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, preferred dealership, and full contact information.

Thank you, I hope to receive a message from you soon. :)

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone for your help. I've just tightened up the plugs and will see if this makes a difference on the way home (when vehicle heats up). Cruze11white, are you talking about the back (seat cover)? As to the dealership, of course my Cruze is out of warranty and I don't have the money to keep it at the dealer.
Again, thanks to all and God Bless.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Customer Care, I'm still noticing the smell of coolant fluid but no leaks detected. The fluid level is low! Is this an on going problem?
The water pump has already been replaced. Thanks!

·
Administrator
25,038 Posts
Customer Care, I'm still noticing the smell of coolant fluid but no leaks detected. The fluid level is low! Is this an on going problem?
When you get home, wait for the engine to cool some (30 minutes or so) and then very carefully open your coolant tank cap. There will still be pressure in the tank and the coolant may still be hot, so be very careful to not scald yourself. Take the cap off and see if there's green coolant all the way up to the top of the cap core. If there is coolant is seeping around the lower (when cap is in place) o-ring. Let us know. Also, note the physical difficulty of taking the cap off and putting it back on and let us know that as well. When the cap is seated properly it's easy to turn but the intermediate spinning on the cap should meet with a reasonable amount of resistance.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I have removed the seats from a 1LT and installed aftermarket heated seats. The link is in my signature. Send me some questions if you have problems.

Carbon02

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Carbon02, as I was earlier stating, my drivers seat heating (when turned on) last about 60 seconds and turns off. My question is why?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
When I was researching adding aftermarket heated seats, I originally wanted to do factory heated seats, so I researched the parts.

There is a heated seat control module under the drivers seat. From what I could determine, this module monitors the temperature of the pads in the seat, as well as the power draw. It also interfaces with the switches that are up near the HVAC control unit.

I do believe that if it's a heated seat cutting out issue, it's due to this module sensing problems with the elements, as mentioned above.

The only way to get at the elements are to take the seat covers off. I did this late fall going into winter. It's possible to do it with the seat in the car, but it's going to be a tight fit.

There's more pressure on the pad that is part of the seat bottom, vs. the pad that is part of the seat back, so I would dissect the seat bottom first.

You may be able to disconnect the wiring at the element connector, and check for resistance. If the pad has infinite resistance then that pad is shot.

I'd look at the bottom of the back seat, and un-do some of the cloth cover that hooks to the springs under the seat. This is where the plug connector to the individual elements is probably hiding.

They are avalible online from GM dealers for $60-$80 per pad, or maybe a used seat. I tried pricing used leather seats, most salvage yards wanted to sell the entire seat complete. Due to having TWO ABS components in the seat, they wanted about $400 each used. That was simply too much.

See if you can sense any open circuits in the heating pads, before pulling the seat out. I don't know if you can with OEM seat pads, but you can on the aftermarkets I installed.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hey John,

If you are continuing to experience an odor after looking into Obermd's suggestion, please feel free to send me a private message and I would be happy to look into this more for you!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 12 of 12 Posts