Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Cruze is throwing the codes P0299 and P0171. It doesnt have the acceleration that it used to. The CEL always comes on when im idling for a long time. I know the P0299 under boost code could be anything from a bad turbo to a boost leak. I'm just not sure where to start to diagnose the problem. Should I check and make sure I don't have a boost leak first? What's some other things you guys could recommend I check for? My warranty is expired so I'm out of luck there.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,541 Posts
P0171 is probably causing the 0299.

Check the valve cover for hissing (blown PCV usually throws 015b, 0171, 1101). Check the air intake pipes for loose clamps of possible boost leaks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the PO299 code come up on my 2013 1.4 turbo cruze . I bought a boost leak tester, found i had a bad PVC valve. I installed the PVC repair kit( available on this forum), fixed the problem. Two weeks later, I get the same PO299 code, got the boost leak tester out, found air leaking from the inter cooler to throttle body charge pipe. Had to buy a new charge pipe, the seal is not sold separately, that took care of that issue.
Boost leak tester IMO is the only way to go.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
12,421 Posts
My Cruze is throwing the codes P0299 and P0171. It doesnt have the acceleration that it used to. The CEL always comes on when im idling for a long time. I know the P0299 under boost code could be anything from a bad turbo to a boost leak. I'm just not sure where to start to diagnose the problem. Should I check and make sure I don't have a boost leak first? What's some other things you guys could recommend I check for? My warranty is expired so I'm out of luck there.

Potential causes of a P0299 turbo underboost code include:

Intake (induction) air restriction or leak
Failed or damaged turbocharger (sticking, binding, etc.)
Faulty boost/charge pressure sensor

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0299

A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty Note:
The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled.
There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor
Possible cracked vacuum or PCV line/connection Faulty or stuck open PCV valve
Failed or faulty oxygen sensor (bank 1, sensor 1)
Sticking/plugged or failed fuel injector Low fuel pressure (possible plugged/dirty fuel filter!)
Exhaust leak between engine and first oxygen sensor

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0171

2011-2016 Cruze 1.4L PCV System Explained

2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues

Cruze/Sonic 1.4L Turbo LUV/LUJ Boost Leak Testing Kits

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I reset the codes and now the only code that pops up is the p0171 if I let the car idle for more than five minutes. I'm gonna check the valve cover and pcv check valves. I'll report back my findings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts