Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a check engine light come on, misfire... Went to the local parts house to get new plugs and coil pack, only to find out they had to pull the plugs from another store and the coil pack was special order, 4 days out (over $200). Came home looked online and ordered one on Amazon, next day delivery. Installed plugs and coil pack, started engine. It ran rough at first and smoothed out a little. Then I started smelling, like hot electrical and I shut it down and disconnected battery. I looked around carefully and didn't see anything obvious, checking everything I had disturbed during install. I reached over to the coil pack connector and got the biggest electrical shock I ever had... See attached photo, BTW the coil pack connector has a large metal sleeve around it. Insult to injury, many fuses and questionable wires needed replaced to get it running...

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,696 Posts
Could you take a picture of the large metal sleeve around the connector? I don't think that should be there....

·
Registered
185 Posts
Could you take a picture of the large metal sleeve around the connector? I don't think that should be there....
I second that. wtf

This is just a guess, but it looks like the seller attached a tube of dielectric grease to the boot with a wire! Regardless, you can't install the coil pack with stuff hanging off the boot. :eek:

Knock off coil packs are known to have very short lives. Also, there are fake spark plug out there too. So, please tell us exactly what coil pack and plugs you put in.
There are only 3 coil packs in would put in my car.
1) AC Delco (OEM) $80
2) ZZP $90
3) MSD $110
Any other brand probably won't last.

If you remove one of the spark plugs and take a couple close up pics I can tell you if they are fake or not.

·
Registered
2013 1LT/RS
39 Posts
My coil pack connector has that metal sleeve too. Looking through the reviews on ZZP's website for their coil pack and the MSD one also show a handful of others with it.

·
Premium Member
2012 Cruze LTZ 1989 StarQuest 2004 TrialBlazer EXT
745 Posts
Mine has one as well maybe something with earlier models ??

Reactions: _GABO_

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,593 Posts
Misc info that be of help:

Coil Pack TSB

Burning up ignition coils

Tips to ensure no misfires occur:

Remove the coil pack. If the boots are stuck on, use a small screwdriver or pick with some dielectric grease on it to go around the outside of the boot and then possibly the inside of the boot to help aid in removal.

Remember to (p)re-gap your plugs to .028, (0.24 if tuned)

Set gap with the black portion of this tool.

To increase the gap size bend the ground strap up to the desired height. DO NOT LET THE GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN.

Measure the gap with feeler gauges.

Throw this away.

Torque to 18 ft-lbs with no anti-seize on the threads of a stock type plug.

Ensure the boots have no rips/tears or holes in them, lightly coat them with dielectric/silicone grease and make sure the resister springs are clean and not caught up in the boots when you install them.

If the plugs look bad, consider these:

-BKR8EIX-2668 (iridium plugs), ~$25, expect ~10-15k regaps on these, ~40-50k overall life.
-BKR7E-4644 (nickel/copper plugs), ~$8, expect 15-25K out of these plugs, with a regap or two required at 5-8k intervals on stock tune.

Read Hesitation Gone! for more info on the plugs.

A good replacement coil is the MSD Blaster OEM Replacement Coilpack 8236

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I second that. wtf

This is just a guess, but it looks like the seller attached a tube of dielectric grease to the boot with a wire! Regardless, you can't install the coil pack with stuff hanging off the boot. :eek:

Knock off coil packs are known to have very short lives. Also, there are fake spark plug out there too. So, please tell us exactly what coil pack and plugs you put in.
There are only 3 coil packs in would put in my car.
1) AC Delco (OEM) $80
2) ZZP $90
3) MSD $110
Any other brand probably won't last.

If you remove one of the spark plugs and take a couple close up pics I can tell you if they are fake or not.
Nothing was hanging off the boot when installed... what you see in picture is only melted plastic. I'll get back to you on the coil pack, but it was the only one available quickly. I still can't believe that my 3 local parts stores don't have these on the shelf.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a check engine light come on, misfire... Went to the local parts house to get new plugs and coil pack, only to find out they had to pull the plugs from another store and the coil pack was special order, 4 days out (over $200). Came home looked online and ordered one on Amazon, next day delivery. Installed plugs and coil pack, started engine. It ran rough at first and smoothed out a little. Then I started smelling, like hot electrical and I shut it down and disconnected battery. I looked around carefully and didn't see anything obvious, checking everything I had disturbed during install. I reached over to the coil pack connector and got the biggest electrical shock I ever had... See attached photo, BTW the coil pack connector has a large metal sleeve around it. Insult to injury, many fuses and questionable wires needed replaced to get it running... View attachment 292669
I guess I was not clear... the picture is showing a melted coil pack. It was a new cheap/defective coil pack ordered online because it was not stocked locally. When installed it damaged electrical components, wiring and fuses. The whole point of posting is to warn everyone because it could have done permanent engine damage, fire damage, or even electrocution/death...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I was not clear... the picture is showing a melted coil pack. It was a new cheap/defective coil pack ordered online because it was not stocked locally. When installed it damaged electrical components, wiring and fuses. The whole point of posting is to warn everyone because it could have done permanent engine damage, fire damage, or even electrocution/death...
The Coil Pack was ordered on AMAZON, and was fulfilled by TOP Auto Parts...

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
The LS7 requires a special tune correct?

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,474 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Just didnt want people thinking that the LS7 is plug and play without a tune.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,696 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts