Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
So far no problems here. I have to laugh with how high the Corolla is ranked. It is not half the car. I had to turn mine in under the Lemon Law. Car had a screeching sound from the engine under acceleration. Had it to the shop numerous times and the best they could tell me was "harmonic resonance" and that there was nothing wrong with it. Finally got the district manager to drive it and got my money back. Despite the engine problem the car had several rattles and seemed much cheaper.

·
Registered
260 Posts
JD power rankings can be a joke, its a nice thing for a company to have becasue the everyday person looks at it and is like oh man it won an award thats awesome! but in reality do you really trust any award or review other than actual owners? theres too much money under the table on review companies. try looking up the actual process on some awards and you'll find it to be a joke 75% of the time. im not saying everyone is bad but be weary.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
Here is the link:

Only 2 start overall..

JDPower.com | Cruze

And full list:

Ratings | J.D. Power

It was given 2 stars for Powertrain Quality. Any comments from the owners?
WHY would you be surprised by the powertrain rating? If I knew nothing about this crazy transmission and took a test drive and felt the quirkiness of the shifts, I would think that it was "cheap/defective". Yea, the salesman might try to tell me that it gets better with age, but do YOU believe what a salesman tells you? I wouldn't unless the dealer owner put it in writing that the transmission will get better with age and if not I would be able to return the car. Not everyone who buys a car or is thinking of buying a car immediately goes on line to join some auto group about that particular car. They may look at car magazines or Consumer Reports OR J.D. Power.

Yesterday I got a chance to drive my sister-in-law's new Buick Regal with the regular 4 cyl. engine. I was dying to see how it shifted. Some pros and cons came to my attention immediately- seats a little softer than my Cruze. Don't like the power window setup. Steering very hard- not electric evidently- hated it. BUT, the transmission did NOT shift like mine. I have NO clue if the Regal has the same "learning" tranny, but it shifted VERY smoothly to me on my 15 minute ride. When I got home and said to her that it shifted much better than my car, she immediately said that she NEVER had a car that shifted like this. She says it's awful. She drives quite a few miles to work every day and has always had new cars also, so she knows something about cars. Maybe she does have the same tranny. She had a 2008 Pontiac G-6 before this Regal.

I STILL say that Chevy should NEVER have put a transmission like this in ANY of their cars. I had a 1999 Chrysler 300M that had a "learning" tranny, but it was never this bad shifting and that car was a POS!

·
Registered
62 Posts
The think with JD power is that it is based upon opinion. They take a group of say 100, get the ratings from that group, and report that all people in that group are a certain way. It sounds almost like it is prejudicial. If you look a the list, look at all the Hybrids on the list. Now, look specifically at the Chevy Volt. The Chevy Volt sales have been horrible, and it has been said by several sources that the car will loose over half of its value in the first year. Why wouldn't an owner of the car want to say that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread to try to increase the value of the car????

This is all a statistics game. I am not saying this because I own one. Just take a look at sales of the Cruze over the last several months. It has out-sold every car on this list. That tells you enough about the car.

·
Registered
217 Posts
WHY would you be surprised by the powertrain rating? If I knew nothing about this crazy transmission and took a test drive and felt the quirkiness of the shifts, I would think that it was "cheap/defective". Yea, the salesman might try to tell me that it gets better with age, but do YOU believe what a salesman tells you? I wouldn't unless the dealer owner put it in writing that the transmission will get better with age and if not I would be able to return the car. Not everyone who buys a car or is thinking of buying a car immediately goes on line to join some auto group about that particular car. They may look at car magazines or Consumer Reports OR J.D. Power.

Yesterday I got a chance to drive my sister-in-law's new Buick Regal with the regular 4 cyl. engine. I was dying to see how it shifted. Some pros and cons came to my attention immediately- seats a little softer than my Cruze. Don't like the power window setup. Steering very hard- not electric evidently- hated it. BUT, the transmission did NOT shift like mine. I have NO clue if the Regal has the same "learning" tranny, but it shifted VERY smoothly to me on my 15 minute ride. When I got home and said to her that it shifted much better than my car, she immediately said that she NEVER had a car that shifted like this. She says it's awful. She drives quite a few miles to work every day and has always had new cars also, so she knows something about cars. Maybe she does have the same tranny. She had a 2008 Pontiac G-6 before this Regal.

I STILL say that Chevy should NEVER have put a transmission like this in ANY of their cars. I had a 1999 Chrysler 300M that had a "learning" tranny, but it was never this bad shifting and that car was a POS!

Pay attention to the bolded words.

The lack of mechanical knowledge on this site is amazing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The only opinion that really matters to me is my opinion. Everyone has different expectations and likes and dislikes on everything. Buy what you like, not what some journalist thinks. I drove several cars, and for me, Cruze was an excellent value. Only time will tell if the Cruze is as good as I think, or turns out to be a disappointment. I'm betting on the first. Love this car 4 months into ownership and 5300 kms of driving.
Go Chevy!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
yes there are issues with the tranni but i have to give gm two big thums up for understanding where the auto market is going and addressing that. honda nissan and the rest of the imports have always (i use the term losely) been more fuel efficent. so im proud to see the american companys finnally waking up and giving us an american cars we can be proud off, instead of the the gas gussling monsters!!!

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
YBUT, the transmission did NOT shift like mine. I have NO clue if the Regal has the same "learning" tranny, but it shifted VERY smoothly to me on my 15 minute ride. When I got home and said to her that it shifted much better than my car, she immediately said that she NEVER had a car that shifted like this. She says it's awful. She drives quite a few miles to work every day and has always had new cars also, so she knows something about cars. Maybe she does have the same tranny.
From what I've read, the Regal uses the 6T45 automatic transaxle, while the Cruze uses the 6T40 unit. The documentation I've read states the difference between the two models is a higher torque rating for the 6T45. The 6T45 has a wider drive chain than the 6T40. This is to handle the larger engines available in the Regal. I did not check if they have different gear ratios. I'd bet lunch that the two have different shift maps loaded in the TCUs and that what makes the Regal shift smoother.

Jim

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
Pay attention to the bolded words.

The lack of mechanical knowledge on this site is amazing.
Guess we can't all be mechanical wizards. It's just MY opinion from decades of having new cars every few years!

:confused::confused:Yea, so what's your point? Should I have said the transmission guy at the dealership instead of the salesman or the owner? I'm not saying it's not going to get better with miles, but right now, it's pretty crappy at 2,600+ miles. If it smooths out- great. If not, it's a lease and they'll get it back.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
From what I've read, the Regal uses the 6T45 automatic transaxle, while the Cruze uses the 6T40 unit. The documentation I've read states the difference between the two models is a higher torque rating for the 6T45. The 6T45 has a wider drive chain than the 6T40. This is to handle the larger engines available in the Regal. I did not check if they have different gear ratios. I'd bet lunch that the two have different shift maps loaded in the TCUs and that what makes the Regal shift smoother.

Jim
Could be. I have no clue. I just know how it felt for my short drive. NOTHING like the Cruze.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Guess we can't all be mechanical wizards. It's just MY opinion from decades of having new cars every few years!

:confused::confused:Yea, so what's your point? Should I have said the transmission guy at the dealership instead of the salesman or the owner? I'm not saying it's not going to get better with miles, but right now, it's pretty crappy at 2,600+ miles. If it smooths out- great. If not, it's a lease and they'll get it back.
It's the fact that you stated that you wouldn't listen to the salesman and then proceeded to say this car has a "learning transmission", which is the exact b.s. they would feed you.

Also, saying someone knows about cars from owning multiple new cars, ya, I'm not even going to go there.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...per J.D.Powers Initial Quality Survey (IQS) new owners of Cruze's didn't find much to praise:

1) 2/5 - Overall quality.
2) 3/5 - Overall mechanical quality.
3) 2/5 - Powertrain mechanical quality.
4) 4/5 - Body interior mechanical quality.
5) 3/5 - Features & accessories mechanical quality.
6) 2/5 - Overall design quality.
7) 2/5 - Powertrain design quality.
8) 2/5 - Body interior design quality.
9) 3/5 - Features & accessories design quality.

...that's five below average, three at average, and one above average (Body interior).

...certainly, not a spectacular customer reception by any means!

...and, remember, those numbers are from new Cruze owners, not anybody else!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I had a 98 toyota corrolla - it WAS and still is the worse car I ever owned. when we traded it for my wife's mazda 3 we kept our 96 honda civic that was older and had more miles because it was a better car. we traded the civic in for a cruze and I haven't regretted it so far. had a few quirky things wrong with it but the dealer took car of it but we had a few quirky things wrong with the civic too when we bought it new. the cruze to me seemed higher quality than the new civics. my older civic rode nicer and was a lot quieter than the new civics and that is one reason why I didn't buy one. the cruze had more features for the money than the civics. if the cruze turns out to be as reliable as our civic than I will consider it money very well spent. I also looked at a mazda 3. but in my opinion they went backwards with the last redesign. they changed the engine to 2.5 liter from a 2.3 and the car was actually slower and heavier. our mazda 3 2.3 doesn't get that good of gas mileage in the city and we just recently had a motor mount fail that was luckily covered under the 5yr/60,000 mile powertrain warranty. I never had a motor mount fail on any car I just hope the replacement last longer than four years. I think the drivers seat in the cruze is the best around. when I drive other cars they are just not the same. the power train is fine with me. it gets me around and has plenty of get up and go. too bad jd power didn't ask me. the shifting by the way is fine on my car. for some reason it never really bothered me but I think all automatics are quirky - our civic was a stick so if you want true normal shifting get a stick. after 15 years on a stick I was ready for an automatic. our mazda is an automatic and I think it is quirky and jerky but it is an automatic and I never drove one that shifted like a stick.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If you click on each of the definitions, notice that some areas aren't necessarily based on defects but on subjective measures such as styling. Some areas could be dinged for stuff that's difficult to use or understand.

I wish I could find a story saying that Nissan had to add something (map light?) otherwise it brought down perceived quality scores. Nissan Refocuses on Quality - FreshAlloy.com Forums is a story on perceived quality. NISSAN | QUALITY INITIATIVES | What Quality Means to Nissan | Perceived Quality along w/the links on the left can give you an idea of how tricky such an area can be, even if something is working fine.

edit: Found it. I posted about it at http://priuschat.com/forums/other-cars/19881-lexus-toyota-together-capture-11-19-initial-quality-model-awards.html#post244351 before. Thanks to the wayback machine: http://web.archive.org/web/20070806133913/http://www.nissannews.com/site_library/corporate/news/2002speeches/085speech-1.shtml.
So we’re constantly reviewing technologies, processes, organizations – everything – to maintain and improve on our well-deserved reputation for quality. We listen to our customers . . . we listen to our suppliers . . . and we listen to our employees. We ask questions, we evaluate and we analyze on our way to improving the quality of our vehicles – whether actual or perceived quality.

For instance, we’re adding more lumbar support to our Frontier truck seats because customers told us that was a quality problem. We also heard that the lack of a map lights in some Sentra models was a quality problem. Maybe that’s not a real quality issue, but for a consumer who wants a map light, it becomes one. So we’re adding map lights across the board in our entry-level sedan.​

·
Registered
73 Posts
The automotive magazines are all obsessed with asian cars. It's sickening. They are all like riding in aluminum foil. My girl got a new scion xB. She got in my car for a ride. Then we were in her car and she thought her hatchback was open because it was so noisy inside. They ride like crap too.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I just really do not understand how anyone here can complain about the shifting of their transmissions... you didn't test drive the Cruze first??? If you didn't like it when you test drove it, why did you buy it?

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
I just really do not understand how anyone here can complain about the shifting of their transmissions... you didn't test drive the Cruze first??? If you didn't like it when you test drove it, why did you buy it?
most people do not test drive long enought to realize that the transmission shifts like crap or they have the new car fever and overlook a lot of things. I have the manual transmission and wish first gear was longer but I will learn to live with it. Bottom line is i still love the car for the money I paid!!

·
FI Lunatic
1,379 Posts
most people do not test drive long enought to realize that the transmission shifts like crap or they have the new car fever and overlook a lot of things. I have the manual transmission and wish first gear was longer but I will learn to live with it. Bottom line is i still love the car for the money I paid!!
This is true....I test drove 2 Cruze's before ordering mine, both were Automatic trannies....could not tell you how they shifted, but I can say that nothing about how they DID shift caught my attention enough to say "WTF!"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts